Richard A.

Default Sizing and Laquer Question

I'm building a martin house from a plan. It called for a 1/2 x 2 eye
bolt and a 5/16 x 1 eye bolt. Easy enough... I found the first one
which was marked: 1/4-20 x 2. I take it the 20 is a thread count.

I couldn't find the second but another package was marked as 10-24 x
1-1/2. What does the 10-24 mean? I count about 13 threads.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I decided to finish my project with
lacquer. Lowes has about a hundred versions of Polyurethane and
variations on that. It has plenty of oils, shellac, and mineral
spirits, and paints of course. But it had one can of spray on lacquer.
This seems odd to me. I'll go to Woodcraft tomorrow if I get a chance
but I'm wondering why Lowes wouldn't have more lacquer products. Any ideas?

Richard A.
Joe

The # 10 is a standard machine screw size, 24 threads per inch. You
counted 13 threads because you only had a 1/2" length of threads.
Try a box store that has a Krylon display. That brand has been a good
source of quality acrylic lacquers for years.
HTH

Joe

John W. Fawcett

Use Deft lacquer. Comes in both spray and brush-on, and in satin,
semi-gloss and gloss. I believe that I've seen it at HD and Lowes, I
know that I've seen it at Woodcraft and Rockler. I buy it at Fred
Meyer, which has a better price than all the above.

Richard A. wrote:

I'm building a martin house from a plan. It called for a 1/2 x 2 eye
bolt and a 5/16 x 1 eye bolt. Easy enough... I found the first one
which was marked: 1/4-20 x 2. I take it the 20 is a thread count.

I couldn't find the second but another package was marked as 10-24 x
1-1/2. What does the 10-24 mean? I count about 13 threads.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I decided to finish my project with
lacquer. Lowes has about a hundred versions of Polyurethane and
variations on that. It has plenty of oils, shellac, and mineral
spirits, and paints of course. But it had one can of spray on lacquer.
This seems odd to me. I'll go to Woodcraft tomorrow if I get a chance
but I'm wondering why Lowes wouldn't have more lacquer products. Any ideas?

Richard A.

firstjois

Jim Behning wrote:
If this is supposed to be used outside I don't think laquer is the
correct finish.

I just finished a bat house and was surprised at the combination of
paints/stains they suggested for the safety of the bats and longevity of
the house: water soluable stain for the inside of the bat house, outdoor
latex primer for the outside - outside acrylic paint for final coats.

I've found that without some kind (and I'll use the outdoor latex primer
from now on) of an outdoor primer that the wood doesn't hold up to outdoor
use. Paint just peels off, flakes off, jumps off.

Josie

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:33:38 -0500, firstjois
wrote:
Jim Behning wrote:
If this is supposed to be used outside I don't think laquer is the
correct finish.

I just finished a bat house and was surprised at the combination of
paints/stains they suggested for the safety of the bats and longevity of
the house: water soluable stain for the inside of the bat house, outdoor
latex primer for the outside - outside acrylic paint for final coats.

I've found that without some kind (and I'll use the outdoor latex primer
from now on) of an outdoor primer that the wood doesn't hold up to outdoor
use. Paint just peels off, flakes off, jumps off.

Sounds like a job for cedar, no?

wrote:
Jim Behning wrote:
If this is supposed to be used outside I don't think laquer is the
correct finish.

I just finished a bat house and was surprised at the combination of
paints/stains they suggested for the safety of the bats and longevity of
the house: water soluable stain for the inside of the bat house, outdoor
latex primer for the outside - outside acrylic paint for final coats.

I've found that without some kind (and I'll use the outdoor latex primer
from now on) of an outdoor primer that the wood doesn't hold up to outdoor
use. Paint just peels off, flakes off, jumps off.

Sounds like a job for cedar, no?

Bats would probably be happier.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.