Mike Brancato

Default Advise for deck over patio with little clearance

I want to build a deck overtop of an existing 8x10 concrete patio. The
main problem is that the existing patio sits about 3 or 4 inches below
the door sill. I don't see a way without removing the existing patio
and lowering the grade of the yard for the horizontal support joists to
fit without creating a step-up deck. The yard was raised for the patio
so the yard grade will not need to be lowered at the edges of the deck.

Do I just need to remove the existing patio?

Thanks.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike Brancato" mike@nospam wrote in message
I want to build a deck overtop of an existing 8x10 concrete patio. The
main problem is that the existing patio sits about 3 or 4 inches below the
door sill. I don't see a way without removing the existing patio and
lowering the grade of the yard for the horizontal support joists to fit
without creating a step-up deck. The yard was raised for the patio so the
yard grade will not need to be lowered at the edges of the deck.

Do I just need to remove the existing patio?

Thanks.

I'd extend the patio. I can't see any advantage to having a wood deck a few
inches above the ground. It is a good place to breed mold, hide rodents,
skunks, insects and requires much more maintenance than a slab of concrete.

If the deck is going to be the same size, just put sleepers right on the
concrete.

Mike Brancato

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

If I were to extend my patio I would have to raise the grade of my yard
12 inches in some places, and create bad drainage due to the way the
patio is built and the property lines fall. Like I said, the base of
the patio is built up so 12 inches off the edge of the patio the ground
is 6 inches lower. 36 inches off the edge of the patio its over 12
inches lower. It would be more work to extend the patio. A deck is
more eye appealing around here than a simple patio.

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:31:23 -0500, someone wrote:

I want to build a deck overtop of an existing 8x10 concrete patio. The
main problem is that the existing patio sits about 3 or 4 inches below
the door sill. I don't see a way without removing the existing patio
and lowering the grade of the yard for the horizontal support joists to
fit without creating a step-up deck...

For at least that the part of the deck that is over the patio, why are
full "support joists" needed? Just support the deck with the patio.
Either lay some P/T boards flat to screw the deck boards to, or if the
patio is pitched, you can rip some "joist" material on a taper to even
it out, and screw the deck boards to those as if they were "joists"..

If you are extending out past the edge of the patio, switch support
schemes when you get there, or keep going with P/T sleepers depending
on your conditions.

As for the option of extending the patio, there is no need to raise
the yard to match it. Leave the surrounding grade where it is and use
a low rim wall around the extension. If you were not going to raise
the grade to match the deck, why do you have to raise it to match the
patio?

luck,

-v.