Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike Brancato" mike@nospam wrote in message
I want to build a deck overtop of an existing 8x10 concrete patio. The
main problem is that the existing patio sits about 3 or 4 inches below the
door sill. I don't see a way without removing the existing patio and
lowering the grade of the yard for the horizontal support joists to fit
without creating a step-up deck. The yard was raised for the patio so the
yard grade will not need to be lowered at the edges of the deck.

Do I just need to remove the existing patio?

Thanks.

I'd extend the patio. I can't see any advantage to having a wood deck a few
inches above the ground. It is a good place to breed mold, hide rodents,
skunks, insects and requires much more maintenance than a slab of concrete.

If the deck is going to be the same size, just put sleepers right on the
concrete.