On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:31:23 -0500, someone wrote:

I want to build a deck overtop of an existing 8x10 concrete patio. The
main problem is that the existing patio sits about 3 or 4 inches below
the door sill. I don't see a way without removing the existing patio
and lowering the grade of the yard for the horizontal support joists to
fit without creating a step-up deck...

For at least that the part of the deck that is over the patio, why are
full "support joists" needed? Just support the deck with the patio.
Either lay some P/T boards flat to screw the deck boards to, or if the
patio is pitched, you can rip some "joist" material on a taper to even
it out, and screw the deck boards to those as if they were "joists"..

If you are extending out past the edge of the patio, switch support
schemes when you get there, or keep going with P/T sleepers depending
on your conditions.

As for the option of extending the patio, there is no need to raise
the yard to match it. Leave the surrounding grade where it is and use
a low rim wall around the extension. If you were not going to raise
the grade to match the deck, why do you have to raise it to match the
patio?

luck,

-v.