Gary A in KC

Default using central vac as DC

Think you'd cause yourself some major problems tyring to use a central vac.
Main issue in my mind is the size of the port and lines and the debris you
pick up with a good DC system. It's not JUST dust - it's wood chunks, chips,
debris, etc. I've seen this stuff clog a good 4 inch line before (coming out
of a thickness planer). You'd probably quickly clog your central vac and
probably overwhelm both it's filtering capabilities and it's motor.
I think the money I've spent on a good DC system is one of my best shop
investments. Built my own collector, added a good penn state motor to it,
and have it plumbed to every stationary tool in my shop. It's amazing how
much it picks up and helps keep the shop clean.
My 2 cents worth.

Gary in KC

"CBlood59" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust

collection?
The unit seems to be roughly the same size as the home shop dust

collectors
I've seen. The thing has good sucking power, but the concern I have is

the
intake port. It's only 1.5 inches in diameter. Is this enough to handle

the
job, or should I spend the cash on a real DC? I intend to check with the
vacuum manufacturer (Cyclone), to see what they say. TIA.

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Builder

Steven and Gail Peterson

The amount of air moved decreases as the intake (and transport) diameter
decreases, and sawdust generation for tools like a planer or jointer are
much greater than the pickup by a vacuum wand. So, I think you should get a
real DC. The central vac system would probably clog frequently.

Steve

"CBlood59" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust
collection?
The unit seems to be roughly the same size as the home shop dust
collectors
I've seen. The thing has good sucking power, but the concern I have is
the
intake port. It's only 1.5 inches in diameter. Is this enough to handle
the
job, or should I spend the cash on a real DC? I intend to check with the
vacuum manufacturer (Cyclone), to see what they say. TIA.

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Builder

TBone

A central vac is incapable of the flow volume needed for a good dust
collector. While it will probably work well with tools having small dust
ports, things with large ones like a planer, jointer, wide belt sander,
table saw and such will just not get enough flow to work properly. And even
with sanding, I would bet that the filter would plug up in very short order
as they were never intended to deal with that volume of dust.

"CBlood59" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust

collection?
The unit seems to be roughly the same size as the home shop dust

collectors
I've seen. The thing has good sucking power, but the concern I have is

the
intake port. It's only 1.5 inches in diameter. Is this enough to handle

the
job, or should I spend the cash on a real DC? I intend to check with the
vacuum manufacturer (Cyclone), to see what they say. TIA.

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Builder

Dave Hinz

On 30 Dec 2004 14:58:52 GMT, CBlood59 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust collection?

Yes. Won't work. CV is high vacuum, low flow. DC is high flow, low vacuum.
Didn't we _just_ do this thread?

Doug Miller

In article , Dave Hinz wrote:
On 30 Dec 2004 14:58:52 GMT, CBlood59 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust collection?

Yes. Won't work. CV is high vacuum, low flow. DC is high flow, low vacuum.
Didn't we _just_ do this thread?

No. We just did one on why you can't use a DC as a CV. This is different. You
gotta keep up a little better, Dave. g

--
Regards,

Silvan

Steven and Gail Peterson wrote:

real DC. The central vac system would probably clog frequently.

On the order of seconds, I should think.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
TBone

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 30 Dec 2004 14:58:52 GMT, CBlood59 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust

collection?

Yes. Won't work. CV is high vacuum, low flow. DC is high flow, low

vacuum.
Didn't we _just_ do this thread?

Yea, but the other way.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:58:53 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz wrote:
On 30 Dec 2004 14:58:52 GMT, CBlood59 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried to use their central vacuum system for dust collection?

Yes. Won't work. CV is high vacuum, low flow. DC is high flow, low vacuum.
Didn't we _just_ do this thread?

No. We just did one on why you can't use a DC as a CV. This is different. You
gotta keep up a little better, Dave. g

My apologies. I should have checked. Can I be forgiven?

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:44:25 -0500, Silvan wrote:
Steven and Gail Peterson wrote:

real DC. The central vac system would probably clog frequently.

On the order of seconds, I should think.

Always teh optimist. Or is that optometrist.