Steve Knight

Default I need help finding a variable voltage controller

My vacuum kiln is driving me nuts. after spending way too much time on it I
broke down and bought tthese heating pads
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470 the silicone rubber pads

I use 4 all together the 700 watt ones and I use two controllers
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470

The robotemp controllers on bottom. Well so far I have had two units fail and
just kick on the full heat. Well that is pretty hard on the wood. One has been
working fine but I sure cant trust it. it ****es me off spending 80.00 and they
are unreliable.
I just want a simple dial to choose the temp.I don't need a thermostat to keep
the temp at a certain level.
are the router speed controls what I am after? I have one on hand.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
John, in MN

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:46:11 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

My vacuum kiln is driving me nuts. after spending way too much time on it I
broke down and bought tthese heating pads
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470 the silicone rubber pads

I use 4 all together the 700 watt ones and I use two controllers
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470

The robotemp controllers on bottom. Well so far I have had two units fail and
just kick on the full heat. Well that is pretty hard on the wood. One has been
working fine but I sure cant trust it. it ****es me off spending 80.00 and they
are unreliable.
I just want a simple dial to choose the temp.I don't need a thermostat to keep
the temp at a certain level.
are the router speed controls what I am after? I have one on hand.

Steve,
Being you don't need actual thermostat action and adjusting the heat
level manually works, a router control should work fine. 700 watts
is is only about 6 amps and well within specs for most router
controls. Using 2 heaters on one control long term might be too much
current for some to handle.

--
John, in Minnesota

wrote:

My vacuum kiln is driving me nuts. after spending way too much time on it I
broke down and bought tthese heating pads
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470 the silicone rubber pads

I use 4 all together the 700 watt ones and I use two controllers
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470

The robotemp controllers on bottom. Well so far I have had two units fail and
just kick on the full heat. Well that is pretty hard on the wood. One has been
working fine but I sure cant trust it. it ****es me off spending 80.00 and they
are unreliable.
I just want a simple dial to choose the temp.I don't need a thermostat to keep
the temp at a certain level.
are the router speed controls what I am after? I have one on hand.

should work as long as the heaters are well under the controller's amp
limit.
Steve Knight

Being you don't need actual thermostat action and adjusting the heat
level manually works, a router control should work fine. 700 watts
is is only about 6 amps and well within specs for most router
controls. Using 2 heaters on one control long term might be too much
current for some to handle.

I just was not sure they were the right thing. I have found what I do need to
get though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
they go for around 100.00 and they are extremely reliable. a bit more then I
need but I don't want 500.00 in ebony ruined.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
John, in MN

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:20:32 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

Being you don't need actual thermostat action and adjusting the heat
level manually works, a router control should work fine. 700 watts
is is only about 6 amps and well within specs for most router
controls. Using 2 heaters on one control long term might be too much
current for some to handle.

I just was not sure they were the right thing. I have found what I do need to
get though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
they go for around 100.00 and they are extremely reliable. a bit more then I
need but I don't want 500.00 in ebony ruined.

Steve, at the bottem of the info it says rated for 5 amps max. Be
carefull of that.

--
John, in Minnesota

Steve Knight

Steve, at the bottem of the info it says rated for 5 amps max. Be
carefull of that.

oopa your right. 5000va must come out to 5 amps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
here are some simple ones.
http://store.yahoo.com/webtronics/ensavat1.html
I missed this one it's a killer price and 20 amps.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
John, in MN

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:51:00 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

Steve, at the bottem of the info it says rated for 5 amps max. Be
carefull of that.

oopa your right. 5000va must come out to 5 amps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
here are some simple ones.

A little more fine print: The mfg spec is 7 amps max without an
external heatsink, 12 amps with. You would still need to supply a pot
for control and wire it. IMHO, with an external heatsink, 1 heater.

http://store.yahoo.com/webtronics/ensavat1.html
I missed this one it's a killer price and 20 amps.

If all is as appears this would handle 2 heaters.

--
John, in Minnesota
Steve Knight

I have a fellow offering to help me set this up. an electronic tech and it will
be well worth the planes given (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes