DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   I need help finding a variable voltage controller (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/83719-i-need-help-finding-variable-voltage-controller.html)

Steve Knight December 30th 04 06:46 AM

I need help finding a variable voltage controller

My vacuum kiln is driving me nuts. after spending way too much time on it I
broke down and bought tthese heating pads
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470 the silicone rubber pads

I use 4 all together the 700 watt ones and I use two controllers
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470

The robotemp controllers on bottom. Well so far I have had two units fail and
just kick on the full heat. Well that is pretty hard on the wood. One has been
working fine but I sure cant trust it. it ****es me off spending 80.00 and they
are unreliable.
I just want a simple dial to choose the temp.I don't need a thermostat to keep
the temp at a certain level.
are the router speed controls what I am after? I have one on hand.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

John, in MN December 30th 04 06:22 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:46:11 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

My vacuum kiln is driving me nuts. after spending way too much time on it I
broke down and bought tthese heating pads
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470 the silicone rubber pads

I use 4 all together the 700 watt ones and I use two controllers
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470

The robotemp controllers on bottom. Well so far I have had two units fail and
just kick on the full heat. Well that is pretty hard on the wood. One has been
working fine but I sure cant trust it. it ****es me off spending 80.00 and they
are unreliable.
I just want a simple dial to choose the temp.I don't need a thermostat to keep
the temp at a certain level.
are the router speed controls what I am after? I have one on hand.

Steve,
Being you don't need actual thermostat action and adjusting the heat
level manually works, a router control should work fine. 700 watts
is is only about 6 amps and well within specs for most router
controls. Using 2 heaters on one control long term might be too much
current for some to handle.

--
John, in Minnesota

[email protected] December 30th 04 09:18 PM

wrote:

My vacuum kiln is driving me nuts. after spending way too much time on it I
broke down and bought tthese heating pads
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470 the silicone rubber pads

I use 4 all together the 700 watt ones and I use two controllers
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4470

The robotemp controllers on bottom. Well so far I have had two units fail and
just kick on the full heat. Well that is pretty hard on the wood. One has been
working fine but I sure cant trust it. it ****es me off spending 80.00 and they
are unreliable.
I just want a simple dial to choose the temp.I don't need a thermostat to keep
the temp at a certain level.
are the router speed controls what I am after? I have one on hand.

should work as long as the heaters are well under the controller's amp
limit.

Steve Knight December 31st 04 05:20 PM

Being you don't need actual thermostat action and adjusting the heat
level manually works, a router control should work fine. 700 watts
is is only about 6 amps and well within specs for most router
controls. Using 2 heaters on one control long term might be too much
current for some to handle.

I just was not sure they were the right thing. I have found what I do need to
get though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
they go for around 100.00 and they are extremely reliable. a bit more then I
need but I don't want 500.00 in ebony ruined.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

John, in MN December 31st 04 10:32 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:20:32 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

Being you don't need actual thermostat action and adjusting the heat
level manually works, a router control should work fine. 700 watts
is is only about 6 amps and well within specs for most router
controls. Using 2 heaters on one control long term might be too much
current for some to handle.

I just was not sure they were the right thing. I have found what I do need to
get though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
they go for around 100.00 and they are extremely reliable. a bit more then I
need but I don't want 500.00 in ebony ruined.

Steve, at the bottem of the info it says rated for 5 amps max. Be
carefull of that.

--
John, in Minnesota

Steve Knight January 1st 05 09:51 AM

Steve, at the bottem of the info it says rated for 5 amps max. Be
carefull of that.

oopa your right. 5000va must come out to 5 amps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
here are some simple ones.
http://store.yahoo.com/webtronics/ensavat1.html
I missed this one it's a killer price and 20 amps.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

John, in MN January 1st 05 01:53 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:51:00 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

Steve, at the bottem of the info it says rated for 5 amps max. Be
carefull of that.

oopa your right. 5000va must come out to 5 amps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
here are some simple ones.

A little more fine print: The mfg spec is 7 amps max without an
external heatsink, 12 amps with. You would still need to supply a pot
for control and wire it. IMHO, with an external heatsink, 1 heater.

http://store.yahoo.com/webtronics/ensavat1.html
I missed this one it's a killer price and 20 amps.

If all is as appears this would handle 2 heaters.

--
John, in Minnesota

Steve Knight January 1st 05 07:20 PM

I have a fellow offering to help me set this up. an electronic tech and it will
be well worth the planes given (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes