max

Default Avenger Dado set

Does any one have the 8 inch Avenger Dado set?
I just received mine. I am having issues. Anybody?
max

Dan

On Wed 29 Dec 2004 01:49:03p, max wrote in
:

Does any one have the 8 inch Avenger Dado set?
I just received mine. I am having issues. Anybody?
max

Yeah, I've got a set. Haven't had any problems with it. Maybe a little
batwingy in the corners, and the shims are a pain in the butt. If I ever
have to do a lot of dados I'm going to get a set of slotted shims or just
cut slots in these. Otherwise no issues.
max

The bat wings on this set are very deep, maybe 1/16 inch. The bottom of the
dado looks like an arc. The sides of the cut are clean but there is no way
to get much contact between the bottom of the dado and the edge of the
inserted shelf.
max

On Wed 29 Dec 2004 01:49:03p, max wrote in
:

Does any one have the 8 inch Avenger Dado set?
I just received mine. I am having issues. Anybody?
max

Yeah, I've got a set. Haven't had any problems with it. Maybe a little
batwingy in the corners, and the shims are a pain in the butt. If I ever
have to do a lot of dados I'm going to get a set of slotted shims or just
cut slots in these. Otherwise no issues.

Dan

On Wed 29 Dec 2004 07:54:56p, max wrote in
:

The bat wings on this set are very deep, maybe 1/16 inch. The bottom
of the dado looks like an arc. The sides of the cut are clean but
there is no way to get much contact between the bottom of the dado and
the edge of the inserted shelf.
max

Sounds like poor quality control. Who'da thought?

I'm no expert on dado blades - which probably explains why I bought an
Avenger set - but I wonder if your problem would be helped by having them
sharpened. Might be throwing good money after bad, but it might help too.
Actually, mine are probably ready for a touchup by now. And it seems like I
remember a post from somebody who said that almost any set of dado blades
could benefit from a professional sharpening before they're used.

How do the chippers feel when you load them on the arbor? Do they feel
loose? Have you tried different combinations of chippers to see if the
problem changes? If it's deeper in the center I'd guess the center chippers
are a little higher than the side blades.
Unisaw A100

Dan wrote:
but I wonder if your problem would be helped by having them
sharpened.

The guy at Woodcraft said that out of the box the Avenger
wasn't very good (passable/use on solids, not veneer) but
after sharpening (by a reputable sharpener) they were pretty
good. You do get what you paid for.

UA100, who has a set and hasn't cracked them open yet...

Avenger Dado max Woodworking 2 November 24th 04 05:26 AM
Stacked Dado or "Wobble" Dado? VINCENT BELANSKY Woodworking 17 February 29th 04 02:55 PM