Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Buck Turgidson

Default Crown Molding Error

I installed some crown molding over the weekend, and it went pretty well for
my first time. However, I made one error on an butted inside corner, which
was my first piece. I nailed the corner immediately, and then realized that
I should have left it loose, so I can have some wiggle room when setting the
coped piece onto it. For the rest of the CM, I left the butted ends loose
until I got the coped piece up, and the corners came out beautifully. Live
and learn.

Now, the top of butted piece in question is sitting about 1/4 forward on the
ceiling, and the cope doesn't fit.

What's the best way to determine the correct saw setting to compensate? I
experimented yesterday, and ended up in frustration and felt I was going in
circles. Should I first set the saw at 31.6 and 33.8, and increase the
miter and leave the bevel fixed? Will changing the bevel only affect the
profile of the cut?

I may end up pulling the piece off, but I had to risk doing collateral
damage and would prefer to find the right angle if I can come up with the
correct methodology.