Dick Fitzwell

Default DW735 - Lines running along grain

Hi, all,

Got an early Christmas present -- a Dewalt 735 portable planer. Not too
shabby for my first planer. I have run a couple boards (pine and maple)
through it, and everything appears to be dead on out of the box.

My one question regards some lines running parallel to the grain on an
otherwise perfect finish. They are not terribly noticebale, but you can
definitely feel them if you run a finger across the board. They showed up on
both the soft and hard wood. They appear to be pretty regular. At first, I
thought the knives were nicked, but I checked them out and they appear to be
smooth and sharp.

As I said, I am a planer novice. Should I expect this kind of preformance,
or is something wrong with the planer? These lines will sand out easily, but
I thought I was supposed to get a mirror smooth finish with this planer.

Thanks for your wise counsel.

Ho, ho, ho,
Mr. Fitzwell

Nova

Dick Fitzwell wrote:

[...]

Check the rollers. The pine may have left sap deposits on the feed rollers.
Also are you using any form of vacuum chip collection.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Leon

Those are nicks and or high spots in the knife edge. Some times very hard
to see on the knife itself and not necessarily on both blades. Sometimes
this happens immediately with a new set of blades. Also first hand you are
seeing why the slower finish speed is probably going to be a waste of time
as you will now have to follow up with a scraper or sand paper, which you
should do anyway. Remember this planer is a thicknesser not a finish
sander.
As long as the lines in your wood are raised you are seeing a normal result
of knives showing wear . If the lines are indented, there could be another
problem.

As for normal. Possibly if you ran some wood that possible could have had
some grit on the surface or imbedded in the surface. But normal after
running 25 to 200 linear feet through the planer

"Dick Fitzwell" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Dick Fitzwell wrote:

...-- a Dewalt 735 portable planer. ...
My one question regards some lines running parallel to the grain on an
otherwise perfect finish. They are not terribly noticebale, but you can
definitely feel them if you run a finger across the board. They showed up on
both the soft and hard wood. They appear to be pretty regular. At first, I
thought the knives were nicked, but I checked them out and they appear to be
smooth and sharp.

Are they ridges or dents?

If ridges there almost has to be a tiny knick...if dents there's a small
deposit on either the rollers or material on the tables. Particularly
easy to get w/ pine owing to the sap.

Regarding your last comment -- no power planer is going to leave an
absolute mirror finish although it is amazing the quality of finish some
of these small guys can do...

Hansen

I also have the DW735 planer. It is a very nice peice of equipment. However,
I have the same problem as you. It turned out some very nice work till I ran
some Hichory though it. I beleive it was from the knots in the hard, dence
wood. I flipped the blades over (which is one of the nice things about the
blades) and the line was gone. You do have a knick in the blade however
until you take the blades off and inspect them (all 3) you won't be able to
really see the imperfection. Blades are not cheap, so if you have more time
then money (as is my case), a few extra minutes with a sander is what I
recomend if you have already flipped your blades. Enjoy your planer, and
have a merry Christmas.

Hansen in Wyoming

[...]

Dick Fitzwell

All,

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, these are tiny ridges on the board.
They showed up almost immediately (after a couple linear feet of planing).
Are the Dewalt planer knives supposed to be of decent quality?

Thanks,
Dick

[...]

Hansen

Yes, I had a friend tell me that he was able to have them re-sharpened. I
don't know how much faith I put into a resharpend blade. Especially when you
are dealing with a thickness planer. I have been using my "knicked" blade
for better then a year (I got my DW735 for Christmas last year) and it is
still doing a fine job. I have developed 1 more very small knick in my
blade, but I have run more then 2000 board feet through it. I feel I have
got my money out of it.

Hansen in Wyoming
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Dick Fitzwell wrote:
...these are tiny ridges on the board.
They showed up almost immediately (after a couple linear feet of planing).
Are the Dewalt planer knives supposed to be of decent quality?

I don't have one so can't judge directly, but what I have seen is that
these small benchtop planers all have very light knives in general...it
just goes w/ the type of machine they are. I suspect such minor knicks
and chips are the rule rather than the exception for them as a class.
Maybe someone can post whether there are bad/less bad/good/better/best
sources of replacement knives for these guys.

I have an old (as in 30+ yrs) Rockwell Model 13 which has much more
robust knives (of course, they come w/ a much more robust price tag )
but I don't think I'd want to trade.
Dave W

The Dewalt knives can be resharpened many times before tossing them. The
best way to keep knives sharp is to wirebrush all stock before planing.
When I bought my planer, I got a nick in the first foot of cedar. Shifting
one knife laterally is a good way to get rid of a little problem.
Dave

Joe Wells

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:15:34 +0000, Leon wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
The Dewalt knives can be resharpened many times before tossing them.
The best way to keep knives sharp is to wirebrush all stock before
planing. When I bought my planer, I got a nick in the first foot of
cedar. Shifting one knife laterally is a good way to get rid of a little
problem. Dave

The throw away one's??
That would be good news.

DeWalt planer knives aren't meant to be disposable.

--
Joe Wells

Doug Miller

In article dDVyd.2510$Y57.2393@trnddc08, "Dick Fitzwell" wrote:
Hi, all,

Got an early Christmas present -- a Dewalt 735 portable planer. Not too
shabby for my first planer. I have run a couple boards (pine and maple)
through it, and everything appears to be dead on out of the box.

My one question regards some lines running parallel to the grain on an
otherwise perfect finish. They are not terribly noticebale, but you can
definitely feel them if you run a finger across the board. They showed up on
both the soft and hard wood. They appear to be pretty regular. At first, I
thought the knives were nicked, but I checked them out and they appear to be
smooth and sharp.

Ya know what? I've noticed the same thing with my DW735, even with
freshly-honed and polished knives -- but only on relatively soft woods such as
sycamore and poplar. The marks are much less noticeable on soft maple and
cherry, and pretty much not there on hard maple, walnut, or oak.

I *suspect* (but have been unable to confirm) that it may be caused by
variations in tightness of the blade-mounting bolts, causing the blades to
flex slightly.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article x8Xyd.2537$Y57.187@trnddc08, "Dick Fitzwell" wrote:
All,

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, these are tiny ridges on the board.
They showed up almost immediately (after a couple linear feet of planing).

In that case... the knives are nicked.

Are the Dewalt planer knives supposed to be of decent quality?

They are of decent quality. But no planer knife will stand up to dirt on the
board, and that's probably how they got nicked.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

"Dave W" wrote in message
The Dewalt knives can be resharpened many times before tossing them.

Not for the 735, they can't.

Not, anyway, if by "resharpened" you mean reground. They can be *honed*
several times, sure, but there just isn't enough metal projecting above the
cutterhead to allow more than a very small number of regrindings.

The best way to keep knives sharp is to wirebrush all stock before
planing. When I bought my planer, I got a nick in the first foot of
cedar. Shifting one knife laterally is a good way to get rid of a little
problem. Dave

The throw away one's??
That would be good news.

DeWalt planer knives aren't meant to be disposable.

I'm sure that will be news to the guys at DeWalt.

--
Regards,