John Moorhead

Default Protecting table mounted routers from debris??

Folks -

Okay, the router wasn't stout enough to draw the plate down flat, so I put a
couple of threaded inserts in the table and pulled it down flat... I know,
not as clean as I'd like, but I've got some edges to profile tonight.

I got to thinking about chips falling/being sucked into the inverted router
motor and got to thinking. Rather than a shield that just clears the arbor
nuts and keeps debris out, what about a thin piece of plastic (think milk
jug) that pushes onto the shank of the bit, spinning along with it and
throwing debris clear of the motor vents? What gave me the idea was the big
"washers" for lack of a better term, that you would find behind an oil seal
on a crankshaft or pinion shaft... They throw the bulk of the oil away from
the seal and seal lip so that it doesn't have as much to contend with...

If I cut the flexible plastic round and had it centered, I don't see that
balance could be affected. Whatcha all thimk?

John

PS: I will NOT be mounting a wire wheel on the router, in case any of you
smarty-pants type were going to chime in.

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
what about a thin piece of plastic (think milk jug) that pushes onto the
shank of the bit, spinning along with it and throwing debris clear of the
motor vents? What gave me the idea was the big "washers" for lack of a
better term, that you would find behind an oil seal on a crankshaft or
pinion shaft... They throw the bulk of the oil away from the seal and seal
lip so that it doesn't have as much to contend with...

If I cut the flexible plastic round and had it centered, I don't see that
balance could be affected. Whatcha all thimk?

Plastic at 22,000 rpm scares me.

BobS

John,

My routers have a small fan attached to the shaft as probably most other
routers also. The fan causes air to be drawn in from the top of the router
and blown downwards toward the bit. Even with the router inverted, the
airflow is enough on my 3hp model to keep it from being clogged. Really
don't see what purpose your shield would serve.

Bob S.

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

skeezics

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:28:07 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

John,

My routers have a small fan attached to the shaft as probably most other
routers also. The fan causes air to be drawn in from the top of the router
and blown downwards toward the bit. Even with the router inverted, the
airflow is enough on my 3hp model to keep it from being clogged. Really
don't see what purpose your shield would serve.

Bob S.

i had a crapsman years ago that was killed by a peice o debris falling
in the fan. what a noise it made! not a total loss though. [ i saved
the cord!!!! ] you are correct however that MOST routers would not let
this happen. the fan was a mangled mess when it finaly stoped grinding
and i got a look at it. sure glad it wasnt body parts! lol

skeez

mac davis

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:53:24 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

[...]

John.. don't mount a saw blade on it either.. *g*

Your protector may or may not be a good idea...
if it stops a chip from trashing your router, it's a great thing..

if it comes loose and hits you, or deflects a chip away from the
router and at you, it's not as great..

Bottom line for me is that my ol' craftsman router has been hangin'
upside down for about 12 or 15 years and still runs when I flip the
remote switch...

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
John Moorhead wrote:
[...]

On the routers that I've looked at, the internal cooling fan is
designed to exhaust through the opening at the shaft end of the motor,
in other words, whatever air the tiny fan pulls through is exhausted
in such a way that it helps blow chips & dust away from the insides of
the motor. Aside from spinning a piece of plastic at 23000 RPM you
might also cause the router motor to overheat.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

wrote:

Folks -

Okay, the router wasn't stout enough to draw the plate down flat, so I put a
couple of threaded inserts in the table and pulled it down flat... I know,
not as clean as I'd like, but I've got some edges to profile tonight.

I got to thinking about chips falling/being sucked into the inverted router
motor and got to thinking. Rather than a shield that just clears the arbor
nuts and keeps debris out, what about a thin piece of plastic (think milk
jug) that pushes onto the shank of the bit, spinning along with it and
throwing debris clear of the motor vents?

that's a lot of RPMs. I don't think it's gonna last long.

What gave me the idea was the big
"washers" for lack of a better term, that you would find behind an oil seal
on a crankshaft or pinion shaft... They throw the bulk of the oil away from
the seal and seal lip so that it doesn't have as much to contend with...

If I cut the flexible plastic round and had it centered, I don't see that
balance could be affected. Whatcha all thimk?

John

PS: I will NOT be mounting a wire wheel on the router, in case any of you
smarty-pants type were going to chime in.

I had a problem with chips fouling the vents on my table router. I
solved it nicely by reversing the air flow. I put a fan blowing air
into the cabinet of the router table and set up dust extraction above
the bit.