BobS

John,

My routers have a small fan attached to the shaft as probably most other
routers also. The fan causes air to be drawn in from the top of the router
and blown downwards toward the bit. Even with the router inverted, the
airflow is enough on my 3hp model to keep it from being clogged. Really
don't see what purpose your shield would serve.

Bob S.

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. com...
Folks -

Okay, the router wasn't stout enough to draw the plate down flat, so I put

couple of threaded inserts in the table and pulled it down flat... I know,
not as clean as I'd like, but I've got some edges to profile tonight.

I got to thinking about chips falling/being sucked into the inverted

router
motor and got to thinking. Rather than a shield that just clears the

arbor
nuts and keeps debris out, what about a thin piece of plastic (think milk
jug) that pushes onto the shank of the bit, spinning along with it and
throwing debris clear of the motor vents? What gave me the idea was the

big
"washers" for lack of a better term, that you would find behind an oil

seal
on a crankshaft or pinion shaft... They throw the bulk of the oil away

from
the seal and seal lip so that it doesn't have as much to contend with...

If I cut the flexible plastic round and had it centered, I don't see that
balance could be affected. Whatcha all thimk?

John

PS: I will NOT be mounting a wire wheel on the router, in case any of you
smarty-pants type were going to chime in.