Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:18:41 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"John DeBoo" wrote in message

Their "Professional" goal is to push as many kids as possible into
McJobs for the rest of their lives.

Boy howdy! ... you hit the nail smack dab on the head with that (OBWW).

There was an "initiative" by the educrats hereabouts a couple of years

ago
to "key" primary education directly to the _needs_ of the
corporate/business sector.

It all depends upon what was meant by the initiative. In the case of

the
company I work for, such an initiative would have the schools focus on
math, the physical sciences and technology skills -- a far cry from
hamburger flippin'.

Sure it was ... that was why I brought it up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

that's a college town and a wealthier area in general than Bedford. Lots
of light industry and college related industry (Virginia Tech ain't JUST a
football school).

It used to be more than a football school, but I think many, if not most
Tech profs would agree that is no longer really the case. (I know several
of them. They rue the day their school made it onto the national map.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

http://www.zone101.com/LearningZone/...6/meanmode.htm

My son did that stuff in third grade.

I was too stupid to help him with his math homework, but, fortunately, he's
smarter than I am.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Swingman wrote:

Sorry to hear that. My Linda is one of the sweetest, most gentle creatures
on the face of the earth, but on the trip to the hospital at 3 AM for an
emergency gallbladder operation, I heard some language from her that would
make a sailor blush ... that was one of the keys to me knowing without a
doubt that "this is serious".

Hoo boy, you shouldda heard Renee in child birth. She'dda made the sailors
pass out. She didn't produce such a ceaseless stream of obscenity this
time around, which is really actually encouraging.

They might let her out tomorrow, depending. She's about 10,000% better off
than yesterday.

Keep your chin up ... you'll both do fine and come out the other side.

I miss her though. I mean sure, we're getting on and stuff, but I'll be
glad when she's home. There's laundry to be done, and dishes, and
cleaning.

(I gotta get all that crap done before she gets home! I want her to just
kick back and not have to worry about anything for a few days. I want her
to make sure the doc writes out that excuse to take her through Christmas
too. She has sick hours up the wazoo, and if she ever had any call to use
them, this is surely it.)

Things like never happen at a convenient time. I had a full, 6 member band
due in the studio for a weeks recording, _flying_ in from all over the
WORLD at huge cost, at 9 AM that same very morning ... and a kid still in
middle school.

I'm really debating whether to try to juggle both kids in two different
floats in the Christmas parade. My wife would have done it, but I'm half
the woman she is. It's a logistical nightmare. Under the circumstances, I
don't think anyone would particularly notice if we decided to bail.

Both of you are in our prayers ...

We appreciate it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Morris Dovey wrote:

Good time to get into the shop (you can't spend /all/ your time
at the hospital!) and make some small (but beautiful) Welcome
Home gift. Something to express love and keep mind and hands busy.

Maybe turn her some kind of urn for her gallstones. I just talked to my
MIL a bit ago, and she has her own gallstones floating around in her house
somewhere. Has had them in a jar or whatnot since '65 or so. So this is
actually an idea.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Tim Douglass

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:37:58 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I'm really debating whether to try to juggle both kids in two different
floats in the Christmas parade. My wife would have done it, but I'm half
the woman she is. It's a logistical nightmare. Under the circumstances, I
don't think anyone would particularly notice if we decided to bail.

Check with the kids. Sometimes those things *really* matter to them,
sometimes not at all. They may also be more understanding than you
expect.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Charlie Self

Silvan responds:

Charlie Self wrote:

that's a college town and a wealthier area in general than Bedford. Lots
of light industry and college related industry (Virginia Tech ain't JUST a
football school).

It used to be more than a football school, but I think many, if not most
Tech profs would agree that is no longer really the case. (I know several
of them. They rue the day their school made it onto the national map.)

There are always profs who will denigrate their own schools, no matter what.
Unfortunately, I agree, Frank Beamer has a lot to answer for around Blacksburg,
including a massively unneeded (except on the 6-7 home game days a year) road
system. And then it isn't enough. Getting by VT on game day adds a couple hours
to any trip over I81.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill
George

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:14:17 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Both of you guys are correct. Neither of you are right. Half of
all teachers are above average, half are below.

Actually, mathematically, it is possible that all but one are below
average. Not likely, but it *is* possible.

Ayup. Now, if you compare to other college "graduates," you'll get a real
enlightenment.

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

There are always profs who will denigrate their own schools, no matter
what. Unfortunately, I agree, Frank Beamer has a lot to answer for around
Blacksburg, including a massively unneeded (except on the 6-7 home game
days a year) road system. And then it isn't enough. Getting by VT on game
day adds a couple hours to any trip over I81.

Preachin' to the choir on the road. I'll have to mail you a copy of the
newspaper article that features me and mine standing in sight of The Wall.
Although the reporter twisted everything I said completely out of context,
and quoted me saying things that I said, but never in the same sentence,
and also things he tried to put in my mouth, but never quite got me to say.
Not that I was surprised by any of this.

I have to say, though, I'm no longer of the same opinion on the road deal
that I used to be. Our population has really grown in the last couple
three years. I've had occasion to drive across town, both towns, rather a
lot lately for various reasons, and traffic on the "business route" has
gotten downright nasty. We're the equal of any other nasty stoplights
every twelve and a half feet cutting people off and flipping birds and just
generally being unpleasant to each other big city I've seen. Quite the
metropolitan environment, complete with hostility, impatience and a
generous dollop of apathy. I find I use the new road quite a lot to bypass
as much of that as I can manage. Though I still think it would have been
better to run it through the middle of the mall and Wal-Mart than right
beside my bedroom window. Classic NIMBY.

If you want to talk about the Pork Parkway, aka The Billion Dollar Road to
Nowhere, though, that's another matter entirely.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

J T wrote:

where I put it. When I found the bottle again, weeks later, I made damn
sure to personally put it in the trash. Hell, when I die I want to be

cremated. Then my ashes loaded into a muzzle loading cannon, and shoot
them over the countryside.

I used to want to be cremated, but then got to thinking I kind of like the
idea that some archaeologist a couple thousand years from now might dig me
up and reconstruct my bones to try to figure out what I used to look like.
So now it's a question of getting buried some place interesting, so it
looks like I'm worth the bother.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Charles Spitzer

"Silvan" wrote in message
J T wrote:

where I put it. When I found the bottle again, weeks later, I made damn
sure to personally put it in the trash. Hell, when I die I want to be

cremated. Then my ashes loaded into a muzzle loading cannon, and shoot
them over the countryside.

I used to want to be cremated, but then got to thinking I kind of like the
idea that some archaeologist a couple thousand years from now might dig me
up and reconstruct my bones to try to figure out what I used to look like.
So now it's a question of getting buried some place interesting, so it
looks like I'm worth the bother.

start working on that pyramid now, or perhaps surreptitiously dig a hole in
The Wall and be slid in, like they do with the powers that be in the
kremlin.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Silvan responds:

If you want to talk about the Pork Parkway, aka The Billion Dollar Road to
Nowhere, though, that's another matter entirely.

Ah, yes. The Smart Road. The only thing smart about it was the contractor group
that got the contracts.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:33:50 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Both of you guys are correct. Neither of you are right. Half of
all teachers are above average, half are below.

Actually, mathematically, it is possible that all but one are below
average. Not likely, but it *is* possible.

Ayup. Now, if you compare to other college "graduates," you'll get a real
enlightenment.

Has anything changes since I took the GRE 15 years ago? Back then, even
the art students ranked higher than the education majors. (not that there's
anything wrong with being an art student, it just struck me as ironic,
given the kids in high school and college who majored in art, that they
would have higher test scores than those instructing the next generation).

John DeBoo

Mark & Juanita wrote:

There's been talk of the same in NM, however what little industry we do
have doesn't tend to remain long - except call cneters, and thats not
really an industry. Its not NM that causes that, its the nature of many
businesses today, here today, gone tomorrow.

The reason for tailor making the workers to the local industry here
isn't so people can make a decent living, its so that people don't pull
up stakes and leave NM. If they do all that'll be left is retirees. If
that happens, who will the politicians scam for money?

oooh! oooh! I know! That's easy -- retirees and their heirs.

Ya'll definitely need to get rid of some of those politicians. Having
tried to find things in Sante Fe, I think somebody went way overboard with
the zoning and sign ordinances.

If our illustrious Governor "King" Bill Richardson runs for President
then everyone can enjoy his selfish anticsG. He's got a good shot too
given the push for the Hispanic vote, and King Bill is 50% Hispanic!
Dems seem to think he's their savior. He's the one promoting NM in NY
Times Square. As for SF, its called "The City Different", and it
definately is. Their motto is leave your money but not yourself, a huge
anti growth population lives there.

Wood, on topic! Saddly the bark beetle has decimated many of the piñon
trees in the state.

John

patrick conroy

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

http://www.zone101.com/LearningZone/...6/meanmode.htm

Geeeeeeeeez Louise!
I gott'a read?!?!?!

I'm a gul'durned senior middle manager!
Don't I have people to 'splain this to me?

Silvan

Charles Spitzer wrote:

dig me up and reconstruct my bones to try to figure out what I used to
look like. So now it's a question of getting buried some place
interesting, so it
looks like I'm worth the bother.

start working on that pyramid now, or perhaps surreptitiously dig a hole
in The Wall and be slid in, like they do with the powers that be in the
kremlin.

Wall is good. Good idea. That way when they knock my house down to build a
new Wal-Mart, they'll have to figure out who I was.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

Renee's in the hospital. They did a gallbladder ultrasound on her
about three weeks ago, and took a wait and see attitude. Said she
had a few small stones, but would probably be fine for months or
years. She keeled over at work today. Any damn thing but fine.

Wow, hope everything is ok. I haven't been keeping up with rec.wooddorking
for a few days, my laptop failed the BB gun test. See the abpw thread "OT:
Messed Up Laptop"

-- Mark

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

Wow, hope everything is ok. I haven't been keeping up with

So far, so good. She's home. She's getting ready to go shopping. I'd say
that means the prognosis is good.

rec.wooddorking
for a few days, my laptop failed the BB gun test. See the abpw thread
"OT: Messed Up Laptop"

I can't get ABPW, and that usenet replayer site doesn't seem to work
correctly from my Linux web browser or something. None of the pictures
people here tell me to look for are ever there, so I've given up bothering
to even try.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:
Mark Jerde wrote:

Wow, hope everything is ok. I haven't been keeping up with

So far, so good. She's home. She's getting ready to go shopping.
I'd say that means the prognosis is good.

Glad to hear that, but watch the wallet... ;-)

rec.wooddorking
for a few days, my laptop failed the BB gun test. See the abpw
thread "OT: Messed Up Laptop"

I can't get ABPW, and that usenet replayer site doesn't seem to work
correctly from my Linux web browser or something. None of the
pictures people here tell me to look for are ever there, so I've
given up bothering to even try.

The short sco BB Gun 1, Laptop LCD 0. Dell replaced the LCD at no cost
to me, though. I'm glad I extended the CompleteCare warantee back in
August.

-- Mark

Silvan

www.delorie.com/wood