Tom Holman

Default Powermatic 66 Blade Change Problem

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

Phisherman

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:15:15 -0500, "Tom Holman"
wrote:

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

Try another piece of wood. I've tried a clamp and found the jammed
wood works better. I like using a soft wood as it bites into the
teeth better. Put a couple drops of Liquid Wrench on the threads and
(lightly) tap the wrench with a piece of wood.

Ba r r y

wrote:

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

I can't believe that a PM66 dosen't have arbor flats for a second
wrench. If it really dosen't, lose the wood and try one of the
following to hold the blade:

A heavy work glove
A quick clamp with plastic pads
A commercial blade gripper like the Bench Dog BladeLoc

Barry
Silvan

Tom Holman wrote:

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on
arbor will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have
any tricks? Help!

Had that problem with the factory blade on my shiny new Crapsman TS. I
bought one of those Blade-Loc flummies from LV, and all it did was get
turned to orange shreds. I tried wood (various woods, various sizes) under
a tooth. I could eventually wrench hard enough to saw through the wood, or
break it.

What finally worked was a steel rod hooked in one of the gullets and
spanning the throat. I think it was 1/4" rod, and I bent the hell out of
it before I finally got the blade loose.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Paul C. Proffitt

Not that I'm an expert by any stretch, but it sounds as if you are
seriously over tightening your arbor nut. For an alternate opinion
check out the Q&A section of the Winter 2004/2005 FWW (no affiliation
with them, just happen to see the article this week). It suggests hand
holding the blade to tighten and loosen the blade by whacking the wrench
with a small stick. This would mean the nut is much looser than yours
is now. I'm sure there are other opinions out there.

Tom Holman wrote:

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

onorbit

PB Buster..... .can get it an auto store.

TEF

One method of holding the blade while truning the arbor nut is to clamp the
blade with vise grips (as a caliper grabs a rotor on a car). The vise grips
will not pass thru the throat plate opening and will prevent the blade from
spinning while you apply pressure to the nut with a wrench. It will also
free up your other hand.

"Tom Holman" wrote in message
Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on

arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

Greg Millen

"TEF" wrote in message ...
One method of holding the blade while truning the arbor nut is to clamp
the
blade with vise grips (as a caliper grabs a rotor on a car). The vise
grips
will not pass thru the throat plate opening and will prevent the blade
from
spinning while you apply pressure to the nut with a wrench. It will also
free up your other hand.

Tom,

I thought about that solution, but wonder if clamping the blade may cause
other problems, such as bending the blade, affecting tensioning or
cracking/weakening a weld on a tooth.

I also thought of sandwiching the blade between two pieces of wood, then
clamping - but once again, I am not comfortable with the idea. Any experts
on blades out there care to comment?

--
Greg (who thankfully has an arbour nut that comes loose easily)

TEF

Generally the jaws of a vise grip are curved so that the actual clamping
point would be well inboard of the teeth (especially a plywood blade's small
teeth). Alternatively, your idea of using wooden pads would also mitigate
damage to the blade's teeth. This method doesn't seem any more damaging to
a blade that ramming wood into the blades to stop it turning.

Just curious, but does a plywood blade have separate welded teeth or is it
just a one-piece stamped steel disk with teeth cut into it?

"Greg Millen" wrote in message
"TEF" wrote in message ...
[...]

Pat Barber

I believe a better approach is a sharp whack on the wrench
with a suitable board will almost certainly break the
nut loose. Remember, you ain't playing baseball, just trying
to break loose the nut.

Tom Holman wrote:

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

Tom Holman

Thanks for the tip to use Liquid Wrench. It did the trick! However, I had to
sacrifice a very inexpensive Oldham Plywood saw blade -- that was a small
price I gladly paid. If I had overtightened the arbor nut, then it is very
difficult to gauge how tight is too tight and how loose renders the
operation of the saw unsafe. It took enormnous force even after the Liquid
Wrench was applied to move the nut very slightly before it would turn
easily. Given the slight turn that was required I doubt that the nut was
overtightened to begin with.

Thanks to all who attempted to answer my question, and I appreciate all the
suggestions that were made.
wrote:

Trying to remove a plywood blade, and when I lodge a piece of hard maple
against it, it is not enough to prevent blade from turning and nut on

arbor
will not move. I am trying to move it counterclockwise. Anyone have any
tricks? Help!

Try another piece of wood. I've tried a clamp and found the jammed
wood works better. I like using a soft wood as it bites into the
teeth better. Put a couple drops of Liquid Wrench on the threads and
(lightly) tap the wrench with a piece of wood.

Phisherman

Glad to help. You may want to clean off the arbor and arbor nut
threads with kerosene and a small brass brush which will help clean
off rust and keep rust away.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:49:24 -0500, "Tom Holman"
wrote:

Thanks for the tip to use Liquid Wrench. It did the trick! However, I had to
sacrifice a very inexpensive Oldham Plywood saw blade -- that was a small
price I gladly paid. If I had overtightened the arbor nut, then it is very
difficult to gauge how tight is too tight and how loose renders the
operation of the saw unsafe. It took enormnous force even after the Liquid
Wrench was applied to move the nut very slightly before it would turn
easily. Given the slight turn that was required I doubt that the nut was
overtightened to begin with.

Thanks to all who attempted to answer my question, and I appreciate all the
suggestions that were made.
.. .