Silvan

Default Looking for fellow packrats

Badger wrote:

I also collect useful fittings, plumbing odments etc, as well as wood.

That reminds me of an interesting facet of being a packrat, and now I'm
wondering if *I* am the only one.

I have a 3/4" boiler valve around here somewhere. I bought a 3/4" when I
needed a 1/2", but rather than take it back, I just threw it in a drawer
somewhere. I've done that quite often. If I buy the wrong
size/type/whatever hardware/bits/bobs I'm as likely as not just to keep
them anyway and then go buy the ones I did need.

It's really silly. No wonder all my closets and sheds are overflowing, and
I've actually thrown some boxes in my attic, on top of the 24" of
fluffyfill stuff. No wonder I have a trebuchet on my front porch.

(Although, hey, I made part of that trebuchet out of some chain I bought by
mistake ages ago and threw in a box somewhere, and 3/4 of that thing is
made out of stuff one of my neighbors threw away over the years.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:41:21 GMT, Badger
wrote:

foggytown wrote:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who saves almost every little scrap
and offcut because it "might" be "useful" some day. My shed is
beginning to look like an explosion at Lumber R Us!

FoggyTown

Dam no, my neighbours know who to ask for:
1. first (emergency) aid, even though I don't bring an ambulance home
from work anymore.
2. help to jump start car.
3. open their locked front door, without keys....
4. call for all sorts of wood should they not have what they need
(they see me trailer it in often enough!).

I also collect useful fittings, plumbing odments etc, as well as wood.

Though with the last lot I sent one load west for a horse owner to make
a rotdown box, and another south to a Scout group for next years campfires!

At work I'm the first one who gets asked, do you want that?

Recycle as much as possible, waste not want not still holds true for me!

Niel.

I haven't thrown away a useful screw nut, fitting, bracket, etc. etc.
etc. in at least 30 years... I have a wall of plastic bins...

The neighborhood comes to me when they need a odd bolt, etc... they
all say "check with Mac, he has everything".. lol
mac davis

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:24:08 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Badger wrote:

[...]

thanks... now I don't feel quite as weird about having 2 or 3 small
trebs in the garage!

Warren Weber

"Silvan" wrote in message
Badger wrote:

[...]

I also have that "problem" When a friend asks "do you have?" I usually do
have it. W W

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:09:02 -0600, Australopithecus scobis
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:44:56 -0500, J T wrote:

I think it's Latin, or something, and means "sawdust".

nope. Latin for sawdust is "scobis."

I'll just call you "Ozdust" from now on, Scoobie. (Fewer
characters so it's quicker and easier to type.)

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases