dugger4

Default When to plane

I will be building four "step stools" for my wife to give for presents this
winter. She will be painting each stool and placing creative stencils on
each stool based on who will receive the stool. Since she is painting the
stools, I chose popular for the wood. The boards are S4S - 4" x 3/4" - got
from the local Home Depot. In keeping with the proto type, I would like the
stock to be 5/8" thick. I have access to a 36" planer and could either glue
up the 15" x 17" "panels"(read sides) and run them through the planer or
could cut each board to length, run them through the joiner, then planer,
and then glue up. My question is: Which is better OR is there a difference
and any knowledge associated with it. Thanks in advance.

Marshall

Adam Diehl

In keeping with the proto type, I would like the
stock to be 5/8" thick. I have access to a 36" planer and could either glue
up the 15" x 17" "panels"(read sides) and run them through the planer or
could cut each board to length, run them through the joiner, then planer,
and then glue up. My question is: Which is better OR is there a difference
and any knowledge associated with it. Thanks in advance.

You'd be best off to joint, square and plane your stock before gluing up
the panels. You'll get tighter and more consistent joints, and you won't
have to plane as much off this way. Check out this web page to get an
idea why this is the case:
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/CabProcess3.html

Check out the rest of the site while you're there; there's lots of good
information there.

-AD
Frank Ketchum

"dugger4" wrote in message
I will be building four "step stools" for my wife to give for presents this
winter. She will be painting each stool and placing creative stencils on
each stool based on who will receive the stool. Since she is painting the
stools, I chose popular for the wood. The boards are S4S - 4" x 3/4" -
got
from the local Home Depot. In keeping with the proto type, I would like
the
stock to be 5/8" thick. I have access to a 36" planer and could either
glue
up the 15" x 17" "panels"(read sides) and run them through the planer or
could cut each board to length, run them through the joiner, then planer,
and then glue up. My question is: Which is better OR is there a
difference
and any knowledge associated with it. Thanks in advance.

I would plane them to thickness first, cut to length, joint the edges and
then glue up. The reason I would not glue up first and then send it through
a planer is you will likely get tearout from the grain going in different
directions on different boards.

good luck,
Frank

George

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message
[...]

Gluing stock which is a bit over thickness can compensate for a bit of
misalignment as it is planed to final. The OP will have to determine if his
stock is ready for gluing as purchased. I would rather glue up the stock
which will be crosscut to become panels rather than plane short pieces.

You need one flat face and one square edge on each board for a glue-up.
Anything more, like parallel sides or faces is gravy.

Doug Miller

In article , "George" george@least wrote:

You need one flat face and one square edge on each board for a glue-up.
Anything more, like parallel sides or faces is gravy.

If you're gluing up more than two boards side-by-side to make a panel, all of
the inner boards need *both* edges square, straight, and parallel.

--
Regards,

George

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "George" george@least wrote:

You need one flat face and one square edge on each board for a glue-up.
Anything more, like parallel sides or faces is gravy.

If you're gluing up more than two boards side-by-side to make a panel, all

of
the inner boards need *both* edges square, straight, and parallel.

--

How perceptive. Did you come up with that on your own?

Richard Clements

dugger4 wrote:

[...]

plain 1/16 off before, to make sure there the same thickness then glue and
then plain the remaining 1/16, that way it's really 5/8 thick all the way
across
John McCoy

"dugger4" wrote in news:SD8td.3671$wp.327@lakeread05:

My question is: Which is better OR is there a difference and any
knowledge associated with it. Thanks in advance.

Since you have access to a wide planer, and you're only going to take
off 1/8", I would glue up first, then plane to thickness. As Frank
said, you may have tearout issues if the grain is going in different
directions (altho poplar's not too prone to that), but since you're
taking so little off, you can take several very thin passes to
minimize the risk of tearout.

John
J. Clarke

George wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "George" george@least wrote:

You need one flat face and one square edge on each board for a glue-up.
Anything more, like parallel sides or faces is gravy.

If you're gluing up more than two boards side-by-side to make a panel,
all

of
the inner boards need *both* edges square, straight, and parallel.

--

How perceptive. Did you come up with that on your own?

If he did he's doing better than you are since you neglected to mention it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
George

wrote:

You need one flat face and one square edge on each board for a

glue-up.
Anything more, like parallel sides or faces is gravy.

If you're gluing up more than two boards side-by-side to make a panel,
all

of
the inner boards need *both* edges square, straight, and parallel.

--

How perceptive. Did you come up with that on your own?

If he did he's doing better than you are since you neglected to mention

it.

Ok, nit lovers, let me put it this way.

All you need to glue pieces of wood together are complementary edges.

Mental midgets can pick at that one all they want.

dugger4

Thank you for all the help. I read this NG every morning before work and as
usual I have learned something. When I finish on of the step stools I will
post a pic on ABPW. Thanks again for the guidance.
yos,
marshall