quakertowner

Default Car Notebook Computer Mount?

I'd like to make a mount to fit in my Ford Explorer between the front seats
above the center console for my 17in notebook computer. I've been testing a
few different ideas and so far having trouble finding an all wood platform
that is stable and not in the way of the leg room for me or a passenger.
Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

Thanks,

Charlie Self

quakertowner asks:

I'd like to make a mount to fit in my Ford Explorer between the front seats
above the center console for my 17in notebook computer. I've been testing a
few different ideas and so far having trouble finding an all wood platform
that is stable and not in the way of the leg room for me or a passenger.
Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

My wife and I went to lunch yesterday, where I parked right next to one of the
local deppitties. You might want to check on the set-up your local cops use,
though I'm fairly sure they don't muchc are about passengers. Huge notebook
standing open in the front, printer hanging from the rear seat behind the
driver.

My guess, though I didn't look, is that wood plays absolutely no part in any of
the designs, though.

Charlie Self
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
Frank Ketchum

"quakertowner @yahoo.com" quakertownerREMOVE wrote in message

Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

And people get mad when they see other drivers talking on a cellphone and
driving. Just wait until someone cuts you off in traffic and you see that
they are typing on a laptop.

Frank

J & K Tomalonis

"quakertowner @yahoo.com" quakertownerREMOVE wrote in message
I'd like to make a mount to fit in my Ford Explorer between the front
seats above the center console for my 17in notebook computer. I've been
testing a few different ideas and so far having trouble finding an all
wood platform that is stable and not in the way of the leg room for me or
a passenger. Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

Thanks,

I looked for exactly the same thing a while back. Truckers and police use an
adjustable mount system that is all steel and aluminum. Those things are
better designed and stronger than what could be made from wood. They are
adjustable via locking ball swivel joints so you can position them properly.
They fold up out of the way when not deployed. You should be able to find
these with some effort on a search engine. If I find what I printed out a
while back, I'll post the brand here.

Maybe you could make a nice wood top to cover or replace the stock one.

If you can stand the insane that are ruining the group, you might want to
try the newsgroup misc.transport.trucking and ask. There are still some
really good and helpful people there, but the crazies have invaded there.
Please don't cross post to there from here, you'll bring the goofballs here.

James

J. Clarke

Frank Ketchum wrote:

"quakertowner @yahoo.com" quakertownerREMOVE wrote in message

Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

And people get mad when they see other drivers talking on a cellphone and
driving. Just wait until someone cuts you off in traffic and you see that
they are typing on a laptop.

I think you'll find that one use for a laptop is navigation--it's far safer
to have the laptop say to you "Turn left here" than to be trying to drive
and fumble with a map at the same time.

Frank

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

TWS

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 02:29:40 -0500, "quakertowner"
wrote:

I'd like to make a mount to fit in my Ford Explorer between the front seats
above the center console for my 17in notebook computer. I've been testing a
few different ideas and so far having trouble finding an all wood platform
that is stable and not in the way of the leg room for me or a passenger.
Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

Thanks,

See my reply to ABPW.

TWS
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , J & K Tomalonis
wrote:

police use an adjustable mount system that is all steel and aluminum

I went into our York Region Police garage here and asked where those
stands can be bought. I was given contact info for their supplier, but
was told that they are about almost $2000 items. Surprisingly, I never
did follow up on it. ;-)

Gerry
Peter Bogiatzidis

Quakertowner,

Take a look at the folowing link:

http://www.americanvan.com/

Click on "Mobile Desk Organizers" to see what's available. Granted, they
cater mostly towards vans and trucks, but you may be able to find something
there that may fit your needs. Hope this helps.

Peter.

"quakertowner @yahoo.com" quakertownerREMOVE wrote in message
I'd like to make a mount to fit in my Ford Explorer between the front

seats
above the center console for my 17in notebook computer. I've been testing

few different ideas and so far having trouble finding an all wood platform
that is stable and not in the way of the leg room for me or a passenger.
Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...

Thanks,

George

Yep, everything sold to a government agency costs more.

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
In article , J & K Tomalonis
wrote:

police use an adjustable mount system that is all steel and aluminum

I went into our York Region Police garage here and asked where those
stands can be bought. I was given contact info for their supplier, but
was told that they are about almost $2000 items. Surprisingly, I never
did follow up on it. ;-)

Gerry

Nova

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

I went into our York Region Police garage here and asked where those
stands can be bought. I was given contact info for their supplier, but
was told that they are about almost $2000 items. Surprisingly, I never
did follow up on it. ;-)

Gerry

Yes, they are expensive. I've considered buying one for a couple of years
and still haven't. Here's one of the less expensive ones I've found:

http://www.laptraveler.com/rwhd13series.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

J. Clarke

George wrote:

Yep, everything sold to a government agency costs more.

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
In article , J & K Tomalonis
wrote:

police use an adjustable mount system that is all steel and aluminum

I went into our York Region Police garage here and asked where those
stands can be bought. I was given contact info for their supplier, but
was told that they are about almost $2000 items. Surprisingly, I never
did follow up on it. ;-)

Google "laptop vehicle mount" and you'll find a number of suppliers. Prices
seem to be in the $400 range.

Gerry

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Nova

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Google "laptop vehicle mount" and you'll find a number of suppliers. Prices
seem to be in the $400 range.

.... and pay attention to what you get for the listed price. In many instances
the mounting base and the computer platform are sold separately.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Frank Ketchum

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

I think you'll find that one use for a laptop is navigation--it's far
safer
to have the laptop say to you "Turn left here" than to be trying to drive
and fumble with a map at the same time.

Another use for a laptop is to cruise around neighborhoods slowly with a
wireless card waiting to find a signal from someone who doesn't know any
better than to encrypt his network. From this point, anything on the
network is comprimised such as bank info, credit card numbers as well as a
free portal to the internet for the truly nasty viruses to be unleashed with
no way to track them back to the rightful writer.

Frank

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:08:53 -0500, Nova
calmly ranted:

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

I went into our York Region Police garage here and asked where those
stands can be bought. I was given contact info for their supplier, but
was told that they are about almost $2000 items. Surprisingly, I never
did follow up on it. ;-)

Gerry

Yes, they are expensive. I've considered buying one for a couple of years
and still haven't. Here's one of the less expensive ones I've found:

http://www.laptraveler.com/rwhd13series.htm

The OP should try these guys. Had I been funded better that year
when I saw them at COMDEX, I would have become a dealer.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development