Tom

Default Help with router template

I need to duplicate several cabinet doors at a beach house we just
purchased. The doors are basically a slab of plywood with a pattern
routed in the face (pattern looks much like the one in the upper right
hand corner at http://www.keystonedoors.com/doors-3.shtml although
it's not a raised pattern). It seems I saw a template for routing
these patterns in doors some time back but I haven't been able to find
one in any of my searches. Does anyone know if such a critter exists
or do I just need to use a circle template and edge guide and do it?
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom..............
Mike

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 01:39:49 GMT, (Tom)
wrote:

I need to duplicate several cabinet doors at a beach house we just
purchased. The doors are basically a slab of plywood with a pattern
routed in the face (pattern looks much like the one in the upper right
hand corner at
http://www.keystonedoors.com/doors-3.shtml although

Years ago we used to make similar doors using a router.
The jig setup for a hand held router is very simple.
Our method was to use a simple jig that was just a sqaure frame that
layed on top of the door. In each corner is a square block. As you
run the router along the inside edge of the jig your router will hit
the block. When it does, just rotate the router around the block
until you make contact with the top of the jig and continue to the
next corner. Keep going until you get all the way around the door.

Your frame will probably have to be larger than the door size
depending on the width of the router base. Lets say the router bit
centers at three inches from the outside of the base but you need the
flute to be two inches from the edge of the door. In this case, the
frame would need to extend an inch beyond the door (on all four sides)
to put the flute at two inches on the door.
You can also change the length of the flute at the corners by changing
the size of the corner block. The radius of the flute (at the
corners) will be constant and is dependant on the the size of the
router base but you can change how much of it you see by making the
corner block a different size. Also if the corner block is too large
you can end up with a flat spot in the radius if you have to run along
the block before making the turn. If you have a 6" base start with a
3" square block and work your way down in size. The idea is that when
you hit the block you have to turn the router.
You may need to experiment a few times to get your pattern to match
what already exists but it's pretty simple.

I hope some of that makes sense.

Mike

Tom

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:46:36 -0600, Mike wrote:

You may need to experiment a few times to get your pattern to match
what already exists but it's pretty simple.

I hope some of that makes sense.

That does make sense - looks like a cheap and easy way to do it.
Thanks for the idea. Take care
Tom

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:52:06 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Sure... buy some templates and you are off to the races:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/cathedr.html

Thanks Pat but I believe that's for rail and stile - the doors I'm
copying are just plywood with a pattern grooved in. Take care.

Tom........

DSphotog

Tom,

I think this is probably the site you were thinking of:

http://iseek.com/Projects/omnicat5/index.php?cat_id=0

It's the Jesada site, all kinds of good stuff.

How this helps.
Dave

Tom

It's the Jesada site, all kinds of good stuff.

How this helps.
Dave

Thanks Dave - this is what I was looking for except I need a simple
curve and I didn't see it on the site - maybe I should just make all
of them more fancy. I'll look at the site closer to make sure I didn't
miss it but may just use the above suggestion of a block in the corner
of the jig. Thanks again - take care.