John Moorhead

Default Moved workebench into new shop!

Folks -

Yesterday we moved the workbench into the new shop! It *really* took some
doing... I hung a couple of lamps last night and today finally got the saw
and jointer wired up with 220!

I've posted a pic in ABPW.... Oh boy, oh boy, ohboy,oboyoboyoboy.....

John Moorhead

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:26:51 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

Yesterday we moved the workbench into the new shop! It *really* took some
doing... I hung a couple of lamps last night and today finally got the saw
and jointer wired up with 220!

I've posted a pic in ABPW.... Oh boy, oh boy, ohboy,oboyoboyoboy.....

John Moorhead

how green is the slab?

watch for rust on the iron....
John Moorhead

Bridger -
The slab was poured about 2 months ago and has a power trowelled surface,
tho' no finish on it as yet. I have treated the tables of the saw and
jointer with Boeshield and left a light coat on - the saw has been out there
for about a week, with temps into the upper 20s at night, and I haven't seen
any troubles. I was thinking about putting a heating pad on the tablesaw
table, but don't know if that would invite trouble. Whatcha think?

John

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:32:11 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Bridger -
The slab was poured about 2 months ago and has a power trowelled surface,
tho' no finish on it as yet. I have treated the tables of the saw and
jointer with Boeshield and left a light coat on - the saw has been out there
for about a week, with temps into the upper 20s at night, and I haven't seen
any troubles. I was thinking about putting a heating pad on the tablesaw
table, but don't know if that would invite trouble. Whatcha think?

John

just don't cover them with plastic sheeting...
Silvan

John Moorhead wrote:

any troubles. I was thinking about putting a heating pad on the tablesaw
table, but don't know if that would invite trouble. Whatcha think?

I forget who suggested this to me, but I've been getting along great with
the old cheap box fan trick. We're still in the middle of swing season,
about the same time of year when I went out one day and found my brand new
chisels had rusted overnight.

I've got everything covered with Johnson's paste wax, and I have a box fan
on the LO setting, aimed so that it blows over my cast iron TS table and
toward where all the rustables are arrayed on the workbench. So far, the
only rust I've found was inside one of my hand planes, on the bottom side
of the iron.

I've had this thing running for about two years now, I guess. I should
probably swap it for another one just on general principles, but it really
seems to be cheap, effective rust control for unheated, wildly varying
spaces. It probably helps that my shop is so small though. 10x12. One
little fan is enough to keep all the air inside moving around fast enough
to discourage moisture from condensing out of the air.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

patriarch

[...]

John, I've got my shop in the garage, in Martinez, not far from the
Sacramento River. We get lots of fog & dew, and we sit at the lower edge
of a slope, so the ground really never dries out 10 months a year. The fan
running in the corner of the shop seems to be doing the trick. The only
rust on the Unisaw has been when some idiot, who shall remain unnamed,
unloaded wet oak onto it last fall, and then left it there for several
days. He won't do that again. The hand tools are just fine. The only
rust on the planes is on the ones that came to me that way, and I haven't
gotten to them yet.

Patriarch,
wax on. wax off. rinse and repeat.