Ba r r y

Default Penn State Overarm TS Guard

Anybody have one?

I was looking at an Excalibur, and noticed the PSI version of the dust
collecting overarm TS guard is half the price.

Thanks!
Barry
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ba r r y wrote:
Anybody have one?

I was looking at an Excalibur, and noticed the PSI version of the dust
collecting overarm TS guard is half the price.

I've got one on my Ridgid contractor saw; it works pretty well. I have two dust
collection ports now; one under the saw, and the other over the top.
Practically nothing gets by the dust collector now.

The only thing I don't particularly like is that it attaches to the edge of the
right extension wing. That means nothing wider than about 30 inches will fit on
the right side of the saw. Of course, I've got plenty of space on the left side
of the blade. For really big sheet goods I use a straight edge and circular saw
anyway.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would have rigged an extension bar along
the back of the wing and attached the upright to that instead of the wing
itself. That would have given me another couple of feet on the right. There's
plenty of tubing to extend a fair distance with the guard. Hindsight is
20-20....

That being said, I'm happy with it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bob G.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:59:25 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

Anybody have one?

I was looking at an Excalibur, and noticed the PSI version of the dust
collecting overarm TS guard is half the price.

Thanks!
Barry

=========================
I have owned an Excalibur over head unit for almost 15 years now and
I think it was one of my better "investments" that I have ever made

Truthfully I would buy it again for the utility of the overhead
guard.. BUT I would not waste my money on it if I were interested more
in controilling saw dust...

I say that because because I love the guard.. because I can move it
completely out of the way or adjust it in less then a second...

HOWEVER if you check tha archives you will note that I have stated
many times that as a DUST COLLECTION piece of equiptment it is
NOT all that great.. .

My unit looks nothing like the current model.... but the operating
principles are identical... The original saw dust pick up point waas
at the back of the guard... I sealed that port and moved the pick up
point to the side of the front of the guard and it works much better
in the front.. I did away with using my DC (2 HP Griz) to collect
dust from both the saw and the guard years ago...now I have my shop
vac connected to the guard and use the DC only for the saw seems to
work better that way...

The Penn State unit at 1/2 the price most likely would
be just fine with me...as I am not really that enthused about DC on
top of the table..

Bob Griffiths

Ba r r y

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:42:36 -0500, Bob G.
wrote:

The Penn State unit at 1/2 the price most likely would
be just fine with me...as I am not really that enthused about DC on
top of the table..

The DC is already connected to the saw, I just want to pick up SOME of
the dust from the top. Now I get pockets full of sawdust. G

Barry

Vic Baron

I just ordered my PS guard. In reading the online ad stuff, it says that it
can be mounted on the ceiling also.

If one has the room it would seem to be a good way to go. I'm using 4" drain
pipe to construct my DC system and hope to interface the PS unit from above
the saw.

Vic

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
Ba r r y wrote:
[...]

Ba r r y

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:37:31 GMT, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

I just ordered my PS guard. In reading the online ad stuff, it says that it
can be mounted on the ceiling also.

If one has the room it would seem to be a good way to go. I'm using 4" drain
pipe to construct my DC system and hope to interface the PS unit from above
the saw.

Let me know how it works out. I just found Mike in Mystic's
mini-review via Google, and it didn't work out for him.

Thanks,
Barry

Mike in Mystic

I was biting my tongue - having made my feelings clear in the past. But
Barry is correct. On my Unisaw with a 50" table, the PS guard was severely
under-engineered with significant sagging. The mounting method was also not
very ideal - interfering with any storage under the extension table, as well
as not being particularly rigid. As some have noted, you can bolt it to the
floor which probably would be more successful.

IMO, mounting to the ceiling would probably work very well, so if that is
your option I would give it a try.

A sidebar to my experience was the absolutely abysmal customer service I
received from PS regarding this issue, with almost no regard for me as a
customer.

Mike

wrote:

I just ordered my PS guard. In reading the online ad stuff, it says that
it
can be mounted on the ceiling also.

If one has the room it would seem to be a good way to go. I'm using 4"
drain
pipe to construct my DC system and hope to interface the PS unit from
above
the saw.

Let me know how it works out. I just found Mike in Mystic's
mini-review via Google, and it didn't work out for him.

Thanks,
Barry

Ba r r y

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:53:16 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

IMO, mounting to the ceiling would probably work very well, so if that is
your option I would give it a try.

I was actually thinking that if I'm going to hang it from the ceiling,
I might as well just buy the "replacement" guard for $25 and fabricate
a hanger and hose assembly myself.

A sidebar to my experience was the absolutely abysmal customer service I
received from PS regarding this issue, with almost no regard for me as a
customer.

I noticed that too, in another post. Your experiences when dealing
with other places usually match my own, so I value your opinion.

Barry
igor

wrote:

IMO, mounting to the ceiling would probably work very well, so if that is
your option I would give it a try.

I was actually thinking that if I'm going to hang it from the ceiling,
I might as well just buy the "replacement" guard for $25 and fabricate
a hanger and hose assembly myself.

If I had not already bought the plastic to fab my own guard, I was thinking
the same thing. -- Igor

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Clamp Sale - Penn State Industries & Home Depot Nick Bozovich Woodworking 4 February 8th 04 06:01 AM
Very happy with Penn State Customer Service Preston Andreas Woodworking 0 September 16th 03 01:50 AM
Penn State Industries overarm blade guard - mini-review Bob G. Woodworking 5 August 8th 03 01:54 AM