snakewood

Default Anyone here used a Walker Turner Surfacing Machine?

Hi all,
I've been lurking here for quite some time now, and there's a lot of good
information you all kick around. Now I'm (hopefully) putting it all to good
use and outfitting my shop, and I've got the opportunity to get a '50's era
W-T belt/disc sander. Unfortunately the belt size seems to be out of favor
(4" x 52 1/2") and it has a 10" disc - also not common - so I'm wondering if
the unit is of good enough quality to deal with the hassle of ordering
custom sanding belts. I do like the idea of using "vintage" tools, but only
if they actually work! Not onlydo they look good, all that iron they used
back then ought to keep my garage from blowing away. :-) Near as I can
figure out, this is an SM-700 Surfacer, but that's all I know so far.

Thanks for any input,

Snakewood

max

Walker Turner was a high quality factory making very good tools. I have a
Table saw and two of their bandsaws. Delta bought them and trashed the
company incorporating some of their machinery and designs in to their own
line. I would be thrilled to have that machine. Belts are easily made for
it.
max

Hi all,
I've been lurking here for quite some time now, and there's a lot of good
information you all kick around. Now I'm (hopefully) putting it all to good
use and outfitting my shop, and I've got the opportunity to get a '50's era
W-T belt/disc sander. Unfortunately the belt size seems to be out of favor
(4" x 52 1/2") and it has a 10" disc - also not common - so I'm wondering if
the unit is of good enough quality to deal with the hassle of ordering
custom sanding belts. I do like the idea of using "vintage" tools, but only
if they actually work! Not onlydo they look good, all that iron they used
back then ought to keep my garage from blowing away. :-) Near as I can
figure out, this is an SM-700 Surfacer, but that's all I know so far.

Thanks for any input,

Snakewood

Unisaw A100

Ditto what Max said.

http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=808

UA100, who would love to have a Walker-Turner ram head drill
press...
moore

I have a similar machine. It's not a W-T, but it dates back to the
same era. I don't use it on every project, but when I need a sanding
station, it does the job perfectly. There are a bunch of supply houses
and online shops that will sell you the right sized belt. For the
disc, you can buy a bottle of sanding disc glue and just cut a piece
of sandpaper to size. The glue is specially designed for discs as it
dries to a make a tacky surface that can be peeled off and reapplied
easily. I got it at Sears.

I noticed they have one up at owwm:
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1612

If that's the same one you got, it sounds like there's a manual posted
up on the site somewhere.

Moore

"snakewood" wrote in message news:mKxqd.481372$D%.342702@attbi_s51...
Hi all,
I've been lurking here for quite some time now, and there's a lot of good
information you all kick around. Now I'm (hopefully) putting it all to good
use and outfitting my shop, and I've got the opportunity to get a '50's era
W-T belt/disc sander. Unfortunately the belt size seems to be out of favor
(4" x 52 1/2") and it has a 10" disc - also not common - so I'm wondering if
the unit is of good enough quality to deal with the hassle of ordering
custom sanding belts. I do like the idea of using "vintage" tools, but only
if they actually work! Not onlydo they look good, all that iron they used
back then ought to keep my garage from blowing away. :-) Near as I can
figure out, this is an SM-700 Surfacer, but that's all I know so far.

Thanks for any input,

Snakewood

On 29 Nov 2004 18:27:26 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

As a followup, I have an old Walker Turner Jig Saw.
something like the 1950 J915 - 24"
http://files.owwm.com/pdf/WalkerTurner/1950-1019-I.pdf

Having never used a modern saw, I was wondering how they compare
in smoothness of cut, power, etc.

probably beats the pants off of the modern stuff.

snakewood

That's the one all right. I think it'll work great for me, and I do a fair
amount of shaping on the sander. My concern was just finding belts for it.
Thanks!

Snakewood

om...