charlie b

Default You can lead a horse to water

Ex #2 is doing an "addition" to her house down
the street (take the house down to the floor
joists and go from there).

This morning she asked me "How much does
wood cost?" (see where this is heading?)

Rather than go into board feet, grades of
wood, types of wood, surfacing, thickness,
width etc. Iwent with "What do you want to
make or have made?"

In her future kitchen she wants a 24-26" wide
x 6 feet long x 2" thick "oak" slab serving and
eating surface/shelf/counter behind the sink
and stove top. And she doesn't want bread-
board ends - not the look she's going for.

Explained that boards that wide and long, and
for that matter, thick, in oak, if you could find
it out here in Silly Cone Valley, would be in
the $300 - $400+ range. AND it could "move"
almost 1/2" between min and max temp & relative
humidity if it's plain sawn (quarter sawn oak
in that width would be almost impossible to
come by out here). Given the location (the
relative humidity in a kitchen can get pretty
high and next to the sink and stove top...?)
I'd expect it to bow and/or cup without bread
board ends. Wood and water shouldn't go
together when the wood is furniture.

"Oh, I'll just seal the wood with poly. Then
moisture can't get to it so it won't be a
problem. They do it all the time."

"Oh kee dokee." says I and went out to the
shop. I know you can lead a horse to water
but ... I've also learned not to spit into the
wind. How custom furniture makers deal
with people like this is a mystery to me but
God Bless 'Em.

charlie b
George

OTOH, one of the joys of quartersawn lumber is that it's easily (often
invisibly) pattern-matched to other QS lumber. Have to remember to make
the first rip on the annual rings, though. Bandsaw recommended. Otherwise
it meets at different angles.

Further, RH is the only factor in the expansion equation, and as most
moisture in a kitchen is accompanied by a rise in temperature, the RH change
might not be that bad. A breadboard end, which would telegraph every
movement, would look ridiculous, either short or long with long-term changes
in RH. Better to dovetail a few hidden crossgrain pieces, though I wouldn't
worry about the whole thing as long as both sides were treated to slow
response to transient RH levels.

"charlie b" wrote in message
In her future kitchen she wants a 24-26" wide
x 6 feet long x 2" thick "oak" slab serving and
eating surface/shelf/counter behind the sink
and stove top. And she doesn't want bread-
board ends - not the look she's going for.

Explained that boards that wide and long, and
for that matter, thick, in oak, if you could find
it out here in Silly Cone Valley, would be in
the $300 - $400+ range. AND it could "move"
almost 1/2" between min and max temp & relative
humidity if it's plain sawn (quarter sawn oak
in that width would be almost impossible to
come by out here). Given the location (the
relative humidity in a kitchen can get pretty
high and next to the sink and stove top...?)
I'd expect it to bow and/or cup without bread
board ends. Wood and water shouldn't go
together when the wood is furniture.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:22:23 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

[...]

In the immortal words of the Firesign Theater: " Bombadier, it's your
karma, baby."

Having been married to the woman, you probably already know this, but:
This is not a project you want to get involved with in any way, shape
or form.

--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article ,
wrote:

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Sorry, but I've read your sig line for the longest time and tried VERY
hard to keep from correcting you. I couldn't take it anymore, I broke
under the strain of it. ;-)

*caf·feine* also *caf·fein* n.

A bitter white alkaloid, often derived from tea or coffee and used in
medicine chiefly as a mild stimulant and to treat certain kinds of
headache.

Gerry

Lee Michaels

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Sorry, but I've read your sig line for the longest time and tried VERY
hard to keep from correcting you. I couldn't take it anymore, I broke
under the strain of it. ;-)

*caf·feine* also *caf·fein* n.

A bitter white alkaloid, often derived from tea or coffee and used in
medicine chiefly as a mild stimulant and to treat certain kinds of
headache.

As someone who used to be in the coffee biz, I can tell you that this
mistake is quite common.

What we used to tell folks is to spell cafe with two ff's. Caffe (European
spelling?) Then add an "ine" to it.

Caffeine

philski

charlie b wrote:
[...]

Actually, Charlie B, they have disproved that you CAN lead a horse to
water and you CAN make them drink. This was proven by two Texans. (You
listenin' Joat?).... But it does take two Texans. One to hold the horses
head in the water and the other to get on it's ass and SUCK!!!

Philski
Edwin Pawlowski

charlie b wrote:
Ex #2 is doing an "addition" to her house down
the street (take the house down to the floor
joists and go from there).

This morning she asked me "How much does
wood cost?" (see where this is heading?)

But you still did not answer the question. How much DOES wood cost?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:04:01 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

charlie b wrote:
Ex #2 is doing an "addition" to her house down
the street (take the house down to the floor
joists and go from there).

This morning she asked me "How much does
wood cost?" (see where this is heading?)

But you still did not answer the question. How much DOES wood cost?

it sounds like this particular wood will cost WAAAAYYY too much...

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:56:48 -0500, George wrote:

Or, you could brick 'im....

Thought that was just for filling up your camel.

-Doug

Jon Endres, PE

What we used to tell folks is to spell cafe with two ff's. Caffe
(European
spelling?) Then add an "ine" to it.

Two ff's? Wouldn't that make it "caffffeine"? Great for emphasis, I guess.

JE

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Jon Endres, PE t wrote:
What we used to tell folks is to spell cafe with two ff's. Caffe

(European
spelling?) Then add an "ine" to it.

Two ff's? Wouldn't that make it "caffffeine"? Great for emphasis, I guess.

That's reserved for the stuff that the military regards as not fit to drink.
It's 4-F, after all.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM