Sam Berlyn

Default Simple Dust extraction

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop". I need
to rig up some sort of dust extraction. I am trying to get my hands on a s/h
vacuum cleaner, that I could plug into my power tools (jigsaw, sander,
router) and use to clear up sawdust from the floor when woking with hand
tools etc.
Is this a good move, as it seems to be OK.

Cheers,

Sam

mp

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Sir-fryed turkey for dinner?

Sam Berlyn

??? I don't get it - I'm 13!

"mp" wrote in message
I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Sir-fryed turkey for dinner?

Lewis

He was making a joke about you spelling "work" as "wok," but mangled it by
misspelling both stir and fried...

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
??? I don't get it - I'm 13!

"mp" wrote in message
I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Sir-fryed turkey for dinner?

Markndawoods

You misspelled "workshop" and the spelling police got you.
Too bad they have nothing better to do than discourage others.

As to your question, sure, the shop vac would certainly do for the small
area you are working in, better than nothing.I don't think a dust collection
system is what you need at this point.

Keep up the good work, you will enjoy it more as you get older!

Mark

??? I don't get it - I'm 13!

"mp" wrote in message
I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Sir-fryed turkey for dinner?

mp

He was making a joke about you spelling "work" as "wok," but mangled it by
misspelling both stir and fried...

Oops! I was being, uh, pleasantly distracted as I was trying to type.

mp

You misspelled "workshop" and the spelling police got you.
Too bad they have nothing better to do than discourage others.

Wow. You have quite the sense of humour. I bet you're the life the of party,
aren't you?

J. Clarke

mp wrote:

He was making a joke about you spelling "work" as "wok," but mangled it
by misspelling both stir and fried...

Oops! I was being, uh, pleasantly distracted as I was trying to type.

Flog her for making you screw up your spelling. eg

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Mike Girouard

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message ...
??? I don't get it - I'm 13!

"mp" wrote in message
I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Sir-fryed turkey for dinner?

OK. There are TWO levels of extraction you have to address. The
first are the obvious shavings caused by a power saw, router, drill,
etc. These are usually taken care of on most power tools by
collection bags attached to the tools thenselves or, even better,
vacuum hoses attached to the collection bag holes so that MOST OF the
shavings are sucked into the vacuum as they are made. An old cleaner
will do for this purpose.

The second is the more difficult (and dangerous to health) microscopic
dust that's kicked up by these tools and blown all over the workshop.
It won't all be caught by the above. Sanders cause a lot of this and
(to a lesser degree) routers, power saws, et al. These tiny particles
can hang in the air for hours and only gradually settle and are more
difficult to prevent and/or collect. Good worshops have power
ventilators and extraction systems in the walls or ceilings. You
obviously aren't in a position to do that. Is your workbench near a
window? If it is, you can accomplish quite a bit by having a table
fan pointing out the window and blowing a lot of the dust into the
outdoors. And ALWAYS wear a nose/face mask when doing any work that
will cause this dust.

Hope this helps

FoggyTown
"Cut to shape - pound to fit."
firstjois

Mike Girouard wrote:
"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
??? I don't get it - I'm 13!

"mp" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Mike but have no windows in my shop. I did get two filters
usually used with house's heating system and put one in front of a 20"
electric fan and put the second behind it. These two filters catch a lot
of dust. They can b washed off with an outdoor garden hose and I try to
remember to wash them often. (The more often the better says the guy who
fixes heaters.) I vaccume the fan now and then, too.

Josie

mac davis

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:20:14 -0500, "firstjois"
wrote:

snip
I agree with Mike but have no windows in my shop. I did get two filters
usually used with house's heating system and put one in front of a 20"
electric fan and put the second behind it. These two filters catch a lot
of dust. They can b washed off with an outdoor garden hose and I try to
remember to wash them often. (The more often the better says the guy who
fixes heaters.) I vaccume the fan now and then, too.

Josie

I use a roll-around evaporative cooler... the water in the wet filter
traps the dust and leaves most of it in a water bin when it revolves
around to pick up more water..

It will be replaced ASAP by a blower motor, box and furnace filters
Phil Hansen

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:21:02 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
wrote:

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Got your own garage at age 13? Mansion hidden away somewhere?
This where you keep your Roller / Troller?

wrote:

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop". I need
to rig up some sort of dust extraction. I am trying to get my hands on a s/h
vacuum cleaner, that I could plug into my power tools (jigsaw, sander,
router) and use to clear up sawdust from the floor when woking with hand
tools etc.
Is this a good move, as it seems to be OK.

Cheers,

Sam

it's a good start.
also consider working with the garage door open, with a strong fan at
your back. some tools resist dust extraction... sanders come to
mind... and just getting the dust outdoors is probably your best bet.
John Hendrix

I use a sweeper in my shop. I fills up real fast but the bags are cheap. It
sucks up small pieces that jam inside the sweeper. I usually use a broom
and dust pan first. then follow up with the sweeper.

I don't recommend it.

John

Got a 2 speed squirrel cage/motor from a plumber that installed a new
furnace, gratis.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:41:59 GMT, mac davis
wrote:

It will be replaced ASAP by a blower motor, box and furnace filters

Old Nick

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:16:41 +0200, Phil Hansen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

wrote:

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Got your own garage at age 13? Mansion hidden away somewhere?
This where you keep your Roller / Troller?

I actually think the guy's _not_ a troll. I did, but now I don't. If
he is, it's the best I have seen!G Never gets angry, replies to
posts. Is actually posting on-topic.

Old Nick

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:21:02 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Which makes me say _again_ that you need to avoid the big, expensive
tools, and start with stuff that is portable, versatile, and allows
the purchase of more basic startup stuff.

I am not trying to knock your hobby. I see a lot of "Congratulations.
Go for it" posts here, so I hope that people are not feeling that I am
a nay-sayer.

I do honestly feel that using up your limited (???) budget on junk
machines that make you feel god but which are crappy will disappoint
for all the reasons I laid out before.

BTW. 7' * 2'? That's _small_. I actually see safety concerns there.

wrote:

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Got your own garage at age 13? Mansion hidden away somewhere?
This where you keep your Roller / Troller?

I actually think the guy's _not_ a troll. I did, but now I don't. If
he is, it's the best I have seen!G Never gets angry, replies to
posts. Is actually posting on-topic.

Nah, Sam's no troll.

actually, he seems to have the makings of a good .rec'er

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:25:53 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:21:02 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Hi,

I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop".

Which makes me say _again_ that you need to avoid the big, expensive
tools, and start with stuff that is portable, versatile, and allows
the purchase of more basic startup stuff.

I am not trying to knock your hobby. I see a lot of "Congratulations.
Go for it" posts here, so I hope that people are not feeling that I am
a nay-sayer.

I do honestly feel that using up your limited (???) budget on junk
machines that make you feel god but which are crappy will disappoint
for all the reasons I laid out before.

BTW. 7' * 2'? That's _small_. I actually see safety concerns there.

I suspect that the 2' dimension is adjacent to an open space that
*belongs* to a car, but can be used for standing room...