cleveleywoodworks

Default laying wide oak floor boards tips

Hi,
I am going to be laying new oak floor boards that are 230 x 22mm thick
and am not entirely sure of best method.

It is to be laid on screed floor on batterns (50 x 50 approx 350
centres )in a sitting room but I am not sure if they need to be face
nailed or can be fixed with hidden nail. The humidity seems to be
within normal range but I will probably place batterns on dpm and
ventilate void to outside.

The boards do not have any stress relief grooves on underside and
because of width I have my doubts about using hidden nails only.

If they do need nailing through face what is the type of finishing
tool I can use to set the nails correctly and recess slightly without
marking surface.

Any advice much appreciated

Cleveleywoodworks
Dave Jackson

If you're into authentic, we use these nails on our colonial wide plank
floors. some of them have a small dimple on the head which allows you to
sink the nail, just leaving the dimple flush with the floor. I can't recall
specifically which ones have the dimple on top, as we have been using the
fire door clinch nails for several years now, so you'll have to enquire.
Hope this helps! -dave
http://www.tremontnail.com/tremont-flooring.htm

"cleveleywoodworks"
wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I am going to be laying new oak floor boards that are 230 x 22mm thick
and am not entirely sure of best method.

It is to be laid on screed floor on batterns (50 x 50 approx 350
centres )in a sitting room but I am not sure if they need to be face
nailed or can be fixed with hidden nail. The humidity seems to be
within normal range but I will probably place batterns on dpm and
ventilate void to outside.

The boards do not have any stress relief grooves on underside and
because of width I have my doubts about using hidden nails only.

If they do need nailing through face what is the type of finishing
tool I can use to set the nails correctly and recess slightly without
marking surface.

Any advice much appreciated

Cleveleywoodworks

cleveleywoodworks

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message nk.net...
Dave,

Thanks for the tip I didnt know if there was anything you could use
for setting a clincher type nail and driving home. I guess I will just
have to be careful with the hammer to avoid compressing the wood. I
know laying a hardened flat bar over the head for the last few blows
minimises any damage. I quite like the colonial look as it is an 18th
century cottage