Old November 23rd 04, 03:18 PM
Ryan

Default Value of oak church pews?

My church is switching from using pews to chairs. We would like to
sell the pews. Since the chance of finding another church nearby in
need of the same size, type, and quantity of pews we have is very low,
they will probably be sold as lumber.

I'm going to start contacting lumber places and woodworker clubs in
the area. But I'd like to get an idea of what the pews are worth
first.

There are around 20 of them, I think they are 17 feet long each.
Solid oak, in good condition, but would probably need to be refinished
before using in anything you would want to look nice. The buyer would
have to pick them up; we are not able to deliver.

Any guesses?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Old November 23rd 04, 03:28 PM
Charlie Self

zirconx asks:

My church is switching from using pews to chairs. We would like to
sell the pews. Since the chance of finding another church nearby in
need of the same size, type, and quantity of pews we have is very low,
they will probably be sold as lumber.

I'm going to start contacting lumber places and woodworker clubs in
the area. But I'd like to get an idea of what the pews are worth
first.

There are around 20 of them, I think they are 17 feet long each.
Solid oak, in good condition, but would probably need to be refinished
before using in anything you would want to look nice. The buyer would
have to pick them up; we are not able to deliver.

Actual length, thickness of the lumber, width, type of finish that will have to
be removed for use in other applications, number of rosettes and brass
dedication plates that will need removing.

And location. Worth more, sometimes a lot, in some areas than others.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
Old November 23rd 04, 03:33 PM
Joe AutoDrill

Check eBay and see if they are a hot commodity for someone doing some sort
of home decoration, etc. You never know what people desire...

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

om...

Old November 23rd 04, 04:44 PM

It will help if you make up a story. Say that they are the pews from the
church where some celebrity was -- um... doing it. And that after finding
this out the church ordered them burned.

Throw in some velvet ropes and a nun's habit with each one sold.

-j

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in
message ...
Check eBay and see if they are a hot commodity for someone doing some sort
of home decoration, etc. You never know what people desire...

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

om...

Old November 23rd 04, 04:49 PM
RonB

Are these older pews with some 'classic' detail and trim or more modern?
Around here the older pew's have about a 10 minute life span at estate and
garage sales. Pretty popular for front porches, family rooms, hallways,
etc. I have seen the shorter ones go at auction for $250 and up.

You might try ebay, local classifieds or an advertised sale.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
Joe AutoDrill

It will help if you make up a story. Say that they are the pews from the
church where some celebrity was -- um... doing it. And that after finding
this out the church ordered them burned.

Throw in some velvet ropes and a nun's habit with each one sold.

Evil. True, but evil.

Old November 23rd 04, 05:26 PM
WoodMangler

Ryan wrote:
My church is switching from using pews to chairs. We would like to
sell the pews. Since the chance of finding another church nearby in
need of the same size, type, and quantity of pews we have is very low,
they will probably be sold as lumber.

I'm going to start contacting lumber places and woodworker clubs in
the area. But I'd like to get an idea of what the pews are worth
first.

There are around 20 of them, I think they are 17 feet long each.
Solid oak, in good condition, but would probably need to be refinished
before using in anything you would want to look nice. The buyer would
have to pick them up; we are not able to deliver.

Any guesses?

Thanks,
-Ryan

You'll probably get a better price selling them whole. Not necessarily
to churches, but to individuals. Consign them to a local antique shop.
put a few on ebay. You might be surprised.
Old November 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
GregP

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:44:52 -0800, "J" wrote:

It will help if you make up a story. Say that they are the pews from the
church where some celebrity was -- um... doing it. And that after finding
this out the church ordered them burned.

And then what did the church do, scatter the ashes over the
pews ?

Throw in some velvet ropes and a nun's habit with each one sold.

Short church pews/benches went quickly at auctions.
Old November 23rd 04, 07:50 PM
George

Running through my mind is the headline in the Detroit News when the old
Gaiety Burlesque theater sold its seating to a storefront church. Over a
picture of the members hauling out a row was the headline "BurleyPews."

Wonder what those good churchgoing ladies would say if they knew what they
were sitting on?

"WoodMangler" wrote in message
.. .