George

The butternut which grows up here on the northern edge of its range is a lot
different than the pieces I've seen from supply places. Closer to walnut,
surely, than the more rapidly grown stuff from down south. Some of that is
a soft as willow - I've suspected more than once that it was, but the burn
test said no.

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:18:06 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

There is also Butternut, which is sometimes called 'white walnut'. It
comes from North American and is light brown but has working
properties almost identical to the various black walnuts, at least
when it comes to carving.

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience with butternut. It is a
beautiful wood, but it is much, much lighter than walnut, and softer
by several degrees. Having worked with both, I wouldn't consider the
working properties the same- butternut is much more likely to tear out
or chip than walnut, in my experience. But they're both great woods,
especially when you inlay butternut into walnut- that golden tint in
the butternut is really set off by the darker walnut, and flashes in a
way the walnut does not.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:30:16 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

The butternut which grows up here on the northern edge of its range is a lot
different than the pieces I've seen from supply places. Closer to walnut,
surely, than the more rapidly grown stuff from down south. Some of that is
a soft as willow - I've suspected more than once that it was, but the burn
test said no.

FWIW Butternut is another juglans species -- like the walnuts.

--RC

.. .
wrote:

There is also Butternut, which is sometimes called 'white walnut'. It
comes from North American and is light brown but has working
properties almost identical to the various black walnuts, at least
when it comes to carving.

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience with butternut. It is a
beautiful wood, but it is much, much lighter than walnut, and softer
by several degrees. Having worked with both, I wouldn't consider the
working properties the same- butternut is much more likely to tear out
or chip than walnut, in my experience. But they're both great woods,
especially when you inlay butternut into walnut- that golden tint in
the butternut is really set off by the darker walnut, and flashes in a
way the walnut does not.

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
David Hall wrote:
....... Now, hickory
niuts....there was a waste of time and effort

But absolutely necessary, for making a hickory daiquiri, Doc.