Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
igor

Default router fence - precision question

From all of the discussions here and from my review of the $$ one can spend
for a router lift, it seems clear that the precision of the height
adjustment can be very important. To better than 0.01". I've also seen
the $$ that can be spent for a router table fence, e.g. Incra. However, I
have also seen some fences for sale that have no more than jig screws/knobs
in T-tracks. And the same type is used on "ultimate" tables. This
_suggests_ that setting the fence is not so critical -- or, it is much
easier to set without a micro-adjust mechanism. Even on the small-shop
shapers, the fence seems to be a t-track set-up.

Of course, some bits use bearings, so that seems to solve a problem with
them. And other bits seem to involve setting part of the bit in line with
the fence - so a straight edge might make that easy.

I am planning on using a locking miter box bit, and there both height and
fence setting do seem critical.

So, before I set out to build my table for my new Bosch router, I'd
appreciate some insights on router table fence precision -- both "up and
back" setting as well as keeing it "square" -- i.e., parallel to a
diameter. I _can_ use my DW TS fence, but it would be better if I could use
a T-track fence effectively so that I can route, cut, route again, as
needed. TIA. -- Igor