Eugene

BUB 209 wrote:

I keep a lot of miscellaneous hand tools in four freezer bins on a shelf
out in
the shop. The problem is, when something is needed, rummaging through
them is an ordeal. I'm thinking of dumping out the contents of each bin
onto a 4X8 layout table, arranging each item so it can clearly be seen,
and taking
a digital photo of the spread. Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X
11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop. That way I'll only
have to rummage through one box instead of 4! Am I an idiot?

Blow them up life size and then always lay the tool back on top of the
picture
Decide on a storage system you like. I bought and gave away a lot of
different storage boxes/bins/toolboxes until I decided on a system that
worked well for me. You have to find a system that works well with how you
work, if you have to put forth too much effort to put tools away then
eventually you will stop putting them away. I was faced with a garage with
a pile in the center and sat back and wrote down a list of goals I had,
i.e. how I liked to work, what kinds of things I like to work on, how I
would like to see things done and stores, etc.

Swingman

"BUB 209" wrote in message
I keep a lot of miscellaneous hand tools in four freezer bins on a shelf

out in
the shop. The problem is, when something is needed, rummaging through
them is an ordeal. I'm thinking of dumping out the contents of each bin

onto
a 4X8 layout table, arranging each item so it can clearly be seen, and

taking
a digital photo of the spread. Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X

11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop.

Being accused of being anal myself, I'd tape them (pictures) to the box
instead (where it can be seen from a shelf). But then again, this is way too
damn anal, even for me.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

firstjois

Swingman wrote:
"BUB 209" wrote in message
I keep a lot of miscellaneous hand tools in four freezer bins on a
shelf out in the shop. The problem is, when something is needed,
rummaging through them is an ordeal. I'm thinking of dumping out
the contents of each bin onto a 4X8 layout table, arranging each
item so it can clearly be seen, and taking a digital photo of the
spread. Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X 11, bind them
together, and keep the pictures in the shop.

Being accused of being anal myself, I'd tape them (pictures) to the
box instead (where it can be seen from a shelf). But then again,
this is way too damn anal, even for me.

He could alphabetize them - just label the boxes A-G, H-M, N-T, U-Z!

Josie

Bob

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X 11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop. That way I'll only
have to rummage through one box instead of 4! Am I an idiot?

The only thing I would ask is why do you need pictures? Don't you know what
you've got? A verbal description should be sufficient and is easier to
maintain. I've used a filing system for years, in which I put a number on
the box, folder or whatever filing medium I am using. I set up a numbered
table of contents in the computer and type the contents in by the numbers.
So box #8 may have a list that says "duplex receptacles, wire nuts, light
switches". With this system you can add box after box and just give them a
new number. I make the table of contents with extra blank lines, so I can
just write in new items on the fly. Periodically, I update the list from my
handwritten copy and reprint it.

bob

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On 16 Nov 2004 23:22:17 GMT, (BUB 209) wrote:

I keep a lot of miscellaneous hand tools in four freezer bins on a shelf out in
the shop. The problem is, when something is needed, rummaging through
them is an ordeal. I'm thinking of dumping out the contents of each bin onto
a 4X8 layout table, arranging each item so it can clearly be seen, and taking
a digital photo of the spread. Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X 11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop. That way I'll only
have to rummage through one box instead of 4! Am I an idiot?

Whatever works for you is the right way to do it. Just make
sure that the tools go back in the right box!
One of the organizational things that I have seen folks do
(folks that are FAR more organized than I am) is to sort out tools to
"similar" functions and put all them into one storage box. Say...
all the chisels and planes in one box, all hammers in another, etc.
Depending on the catagories chosen, it can help narrow the search
quickly, especially if you label the ends of the boxes with a short,
descriptive phrase.
Now...it might be worth considering changing your storage
method too. If the tools really ARE too random to be catagorized by
useage, perhaps a multi-drawer cabinet would be a great project to
work on. A couple or three cabinets with a number of 2" deep drawers
would cut down on the rummaging quite a bit. A few years ago I
built a couple of these to fill the open space in the base cabinet
for my lathe. There are...hum...5 drawers in each one, and, when
I am disciplined enough to put the tools back where they belong
they make it REALLY easy to find stuff quickly. I even dedicated
one drawer to the small sanding disks (Quik-loc) and put an
"eggcrate" set of dividers into it. That is probable the most
organized drawer of the bunch.
Regards
Dave Mundt
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
BUB 209 wrote:
I keep a lot of miscellaneous hand tools in four freezer bins on a shelf out in
the shop. The problem is, when something is needed, rummaging through
them is an ordeal. I'm thinking of dumping out the contents of each bin onto
a 4X8 layout table, arranging each item so it can clearly be seen, and taking
a digital photo of the spread. Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X 11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop. That way I'll only
have to rummage through one box instead of 4! Am I an idiot?

No, you just have too much time on your hands.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:37:00 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X 11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop. That way I'll only
have to rummage through one box instead of 4! Am I an idiot?

The only thing I would ask is why do you need pictures? Don't you know what
you've got? A verbal description should be sufficient and is easier to
maintain.

Because it's faster and easier to take a picture than to type out a
list? YMMV, of course.

--RC

I've used a filing system for years, in which I put a number on
the box, folder or whatever filing medium I am using. I set up a numbered
table of contents in the computer and type the contents in by the numbers.
So box #8 may have a list that says "duplex receptacles, wire nuts, light
switches". With this system you can add box after box and just give them a
new number. I make the table of contents with extra blank lines, so I can
just write in new items on the fly. Periodically, I update the list from my
handwritten copy and reprint it.

bob

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:05:03 GMT, (Dave Mundt) wrote:

Greetings and Salutations...

On 16 Nov 2004 23:22:17 GMT,
(BUB 209) wrote:

I keep a lot of miscellaneous hand tools in four freezer bins on a shelf out in
the shop. The problem is, when something is needed, rummaging through
them is an ordeal. I'm thinking of dumping out the contents of each bin onto
a 4X8 layout table, arranging each item so it can clearly be seen, and taking
a digital photo of the spread. Then I'll print out the pictures at 8.5 X 11,
bind them together, and keep the pictures in the shop. That way I'll only
have to rummage through one box instead of 4! Am I an idiot?

Whatever works for you is the right way to do it. Just make
sure that the tools go back in the right box!

Get a package of rolls of electricians tape in different colors. Color
code the bins and the tools. I've got some stuff I color-coded this
way nearly 30 years ago and the tape is still in good shape.

One of the organizational things that I have seen folks do
(folks that are FAR more organized than I am) is to sort out tools to
"similar" functions and put all them into one storage box. Say...
all the chisels and planes in one box, all hammers in another, etc.
Depending on the catagories chosen, it can help narrow the search
quickly, especially if you label the ends of the boxes with a short,
descriptive phrase.

That works, but there are a couple of problems. The first problem is
the time it takes to classify everything. The second is that not
everything classifies neatly. (Say woodworking chisels and carving
tools and what do you do with the ones you use for both kinds of
projects?) The third is that you don't use just one type of tool on a
project and you end up having to drag out several bins to get what you
need..

--RC