AAvK

I think the boy may just have a future in politics!

Flame away, children...

Alex

WoodMangler

AAvK did say:

I think the boy may just have a future in politics!

Flame away, children...

Alex

I'd hardly consider that a flame. And whatever it was, it wasn't directed
at you.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Morris Dovey

Upscale wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message

Let me see. You and your fellow Lee Valley groups posts
dozens of flames and I kick you pathetic asses so now you
want to get 'reasonable'.

Why are you here? What do you contribute? What kind of
mentality like yours stays where they're not wanted?

Methinks he's here like the unofficial spokesman from Wendy's -
to do his part to generate publicity for, and promote, LV. Looks
like he's doing a good job.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
AAvK

I think the boy may just have a future in politics!

Flame away, children...

I'd hardly consider that a flame. And whatever it was, it wasn't directed
at you.

Oh no? Then may I ask, what "boy" were you talking about?

Alex

Edwin Pawlowski

"AAvK" wrote in message

What do you base this on?

Actual cost? The amount of money that leaves the hand for a handplane...?

Not very good. You have no idea of the cost of production do you? Cost of
tooling? Engineering? The do have a bearing of final cost, as the the
ability to charge what people are willing to pay.

But I'm not going to pay $175 for a LV #4, because I have paid $32 for

Stanley #4 type 19 in mint-minus condition, cost worth the tuning. $7.99

for another
exact same plane as quite well used, still perfectly good after tuning it.

But the cost of the new planes has nothing at all to do with or in
relationship to a
Stanley #4. If you bought one for $32, good for you, enjoy it. What you are
saying is that you bought a good used plane and therefore all planes must
sell for a price close to it. I paid $2000 for my '62 Corvair and I'll be
damned if I'm going to pay $20,000 for a new car.

You CAN buy a brand new Stanley 9 3/4 for $35.

I want to see
Veritas #4 planes in borg and tool stores for a nominal $79 off the shelf,

as an extreme
contrast to my previous statement about online, LV-only prices.

It may be possible if the volume warrants it. When you go for larger
volume, you must also spend a lot of money for additional tooling,
inventory, and in the case of HD and Loses, you may even have to invest in
thousands of dollars in coumputer software for billing and payment. They
dont just send invoices and checks like most other place.s This holds true
for many of the big stores and manufactureres. We used to deal with
Frigidaire. We would have had to spend over $10,000 for software. Do you
think the borg shoppers will pay for and appreciate a LV plane? "The Buck
Brothers for much less looks the same honey, get the blue one"

My real point is common availability, regular prices that are easy to

consider, and a
wide distributership to stores and borgs @ that fine Veritas level of

quality and
prescision. Currently, of all things, OSH now stocks Footprint tools!

Planes, chisels,
and other tools. Footprint got an awesome break, that's because they made

the right
business descision. They are attempting to amortize at a much smaller size

than LV-
Veritas. The #5 costs $49.95, reasonable for the tuning work.

I'm not familiar with either OSH or Footprint so I cannot comment. They may
or may not be related to the quality and volume of the Veritas line.

If the Lee Valley corp. decides to go bigger with plane production, make

some socket
chisels (wink) and "amortize" the entire function, they and all

woodworkers would
be better off.

Perhaps, I've not done any market analysis so you may be 100% on target or
you may be full of crap. Do you know what the potential market is for
planes in North American? The world? Cite some figures and we can talk.

Lie-Nielson is coming close because of their actual* distributorship, but
keeping costs pretty much the same, get rich time! Lee Valley is on the

perfect verge /
edge of being able to replace Stanley as amortized production for

distribution. They
can do it.

You must hae some figures then. What is the break even point on the
tooling? What is the expected volume in the 2005 and 2006 fiscal years?