Evon

Default Router burn on hardwoods

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

Mike in Mystic

It actually happens when you move too slow, not too fast. If you pause at
any point, it can happen almost instantly. Cherry is particularly prone to
this. The best way to avoid it is to make sure you have clean & sharp bits
(which you say you have) and to move at a steady rate without pausing at
all.

"Evon" wrote in message
.net...
I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is

this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

Bob

I avoid this by running two passes as apposed to a single. I run the router
at a constant speed taking off 3/4 of the depth I want. I then run a second
pass to clean everything up. As stated by Mike, make sure you run a constant
speed and NEVER pause when routing.

David

Moving too slowly will cause burning. Try making at least 2 passes,
with the last pass being the lightest.

David

Evon wrote:
I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

DamnYankee

Evon wrote:

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

For me, I take very small passes, and push the wood through the bit as
fast as the bit will chomp thru it. And I use top shelp bits.

TWS

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:15:46 GMT, "Evon"
wrote:

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

The November issue of Wood magazine has an article ("learn not to
burn") that reinforces and elaborates on the advice others have
already provided.

TWS

An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Router Table Top Questions Max Mahanke Woodworking 1 May 10th 04 07:12 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM