DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Router burn on hardwoods (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/76267-router-burn-hardwoods.html)

Evon November 11th 04 02:15 PM

Router burn on hardwoods

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

Mike in Mystic November 11th 04 02:18 PM

It actually happens when you move too slow, not too fast. If you pause at
any point, it can happen almost instantly. Cherry is particularly prone to
this. The best way to avoid it is to make sure you have clean & sharp bits
(which you say you have) and to move at a steady rate without pausing at
all.

.net...

Bob November 11th 04 02:35 PM

I avoid this by running two passes as apposed to a single. I run the router
at a constant speed taking off 3/4 of the depth I want. I then run a second
pass to clean everything up. As stated by Mike, make sure you run a constant
speed and NEVER pause when routing.

MikeG November 11th 04 04:17 PM

In article ,
says...
I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

Not moving fast enough is usually the cause for burning.

However, some woods, cherry for instance, are especially prone to
burning and some burning is frequently unavoidable no matter what you
do.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

David November 11th 04 04:59 PM

Moving too slowly will cause burning. Try making at least 2 passes,
with the last pass being the lightest.

David

DamnYankee November 13th 04 06:40 AM

Evon wrote:

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

For me, I take very small passes, and push the wood through the bit as
fast as the bit will chomp thru it. And I use top shelp bits.

TWS November 13th 04 03:10 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:15:46 GMT, "Evon"
wrote:

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this
a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and
resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

The November issue of Wood magazine has an article ("learn not to
burn") that reinforces and elaborates on the advice others have
already provided.

TWS