Dj

Default Vintage Craftsmand Table Saw

I searched and saw alot of posts about vintage equipment from this
forum and hoped that someone could help me out. I have an old
Craftsmand Table-saw that my Dad used since before I was born and
hoped I could restore it a little bit. I broke the original fence and
am looking for a replacment. I'm not sure what the model number is but
I'm sure it's on there somewhere. Can anyone point me to a source that
might have what I'm looking for? I'm really disappointed about
breaking it and any help would be great. Oh and BTW, I'm using Googls'
newsgroup reader as my ISP doesn't carry newsgroups so if you could
email me that would help alot since I have a hard time finding recent
posts through Google.
Thanks,
Aaron
RonB

Aaron:
Do you know the approximate vintage of the machine? Sears built 1,000's of
saws during the late 60's thorugh the 80's or 90's that fit the following
general description:

- Cast iron table
- Sheet metal table extension wings
- Sheet metal lower body cabinet supported by tapered sheet metal legs
- 1 HP motor hanging out the back with plastic belt guard (a lot of the
guards ate themselves)
- Fence made of bent sheetmetal that locks at front and rear on "L" shaped
rails
- Power switch with yellow safety key
- Dark grey paint with "L" shaped lift and crank levers arms (instead of
wheels).

I just described one that I owned for 27 years, purchased in the mid-70's
for around $250. If it is one of these I recall the model number plate is
on the left side of body cabinet, below the table extension wing. I sold it
this summer. Locate this plate and you shold be able to find the fence or
fence replacement parts through Sears or their web site. I believe they do
have product manuals on line.

NOW FOR THE HARD FACTS:
The fence is the heart of an accurate table saw. Unless this is strictly a
sentimental restoration, I would consider upgrading the fence. The fence on
the saw I owned was notoriously feeble. You will find yourself spending a
lot of time checking it and measuing between the blade and fence faces for
precise cuts. Fence upgrades are expensive but you can occasionally find
one on ebay or local classifieds. Some frequently seen brands a

- Beismeier
- Shop Fox Classic (considered a Beismeier clone. Expensive in its own
right but some folkes replace these with Beismeier, for some reason, and
sell the Fox).
- HTC
- Vega and dozens more.

Any of these have a retail price that is likely more that the saw cost new
($250+). But, again, you might pick up a used one. Nearly any aftermarket
fence would be better than the one installed on my old saw. WOOD Magazine
did a review on aftermarket fences within the past year or so and it
contained some good stuff (May '04 I believe).

HerHusband

I have an old Craftsmand Table-saw that my Dad used
I broke the original fence and am looking for a replacment.
I'm not sure what the model number is

If you want the original fence, try the Sears parts service at sears.com. I
inherited a 20+ year old Craftsman saw from my Dad and can still order
parts easily.

However, I replaced the fence on my saw with a Mule "Accufence" (their
smallest model). You can buy them from:

http://www.mulecab.com/products.asp?mnu_Products=1

The Accufence made a world of difference. It's like owning a brand new saw.
I highly recommend it.

Anthony
jtpr

Aaron,

You can get free news at: http://www.individual.net/

After you register just set it up on Outlook Express and you're good to go.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
"Dj" wrote in message
om...
I searched and saw alot of posts about vintage equipment from this
forum and hoped that someone could help me out. I have an old
Craftsmand Table-saw that my Dad used since before I was born and
hoped I could restore it a little bit. I broke the original fence and
am looking for a replacment. I'm not sure what the model number is but
I'm sure it's on there somewhere. Can anyone point me to a source that
might have what I'm looking for? I'm really disappointed about
breaking it and any help would be great. Oh and BTW, I'm using Googls'
newsgroup reader as my ISP doesn't carry newsgroups so if you could
email me that would help alot since I have a hard time finding recent
posts through Google.
Thanks,
Aaron

Dj

Thanks, I had checked the Sears parts site and
surprisingly it listed just about every part for the
saw. Unfortunately, when you click to order any of the
parts, it's says they are unavailable. I did however
find out the saw was made in 1956 so I think I may be
sol on parts. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Aaron

I have an old Craftsmand Table-saw that my Dad used
I broke the original fence and am looking for a replacment.
I'm not sure what the model number is

If you want the original fence, try the Sears parts service at sears.com. I
inherited a 20+ year old Craftsman saw from my Dad and can still order
parts easily.

RonB

"Dj" wrote in message
om...
Yes, I did find the model number of the machine and I found out it was
built around 1956. The model number is 103.22161.

Whoops.....this is is older than I thought. Does it have cast iron table
extension wings? If so it is from a better Craftsman era. It might also be
worth the fence upgrade. The other things you need to check are arbor
bearings or bushings, and other things that affect accuracy.

As far as motor goes, it is hard to tell without seeing. Motors are
expensive but there might be several available that are worth the trouble of
modifying mounts to make them fit. For example, I replaced the 1HP on an
old saw with a 2HP furnace blower motor. Cost was negligible because I
already had the motor. I had to route the mounting slots out a bit to make
it fit. As I recall you are looking for a motor that runs about 3,000 -
3,200 rpm and clockwise rotation (CHECK THIS - IMPORTANT). Rotation on some
motors can be altered with an easy wire change and others are impossible.
Also, you see entire saws for sale in the classified for $40 to $50 and this
might be a source of a motor if it fits. Beats $120 and up for a new one.