RonB

"Dj" wrote in message
om...
Yes, I did find the model number of the machine and I found out it was
built around 1956. The model number is 103.22161.

Whoops.....this is is older than I thought. Does it have cast iron table
extension wings? If so it is from a better Craftsman era. It might also be
worth the fence upgrade. The other things you need to check are arbor
bearings or bushings, and other things that affect accuracy.

As far as motor goes, it is hard to tell without seeing. Motors are
expensive but there might be several available that are worth the trouble of
modifying mounts to make them fit. For example, I replaced the 1HP on an
old saw with a 2HP furnace blower motor. Cost was negligible because I
already had the motor. I had to route the mounting slots out a bit to make
it fit. As I recall you are looking for a motor that runs about 3,000 -
3,200 rpm and clockwise rotation (CHECK THIS - IMPORTANT). Rotation on some
motors can be altered with an easy wire change and others are impossible.
Also, you see entire saws for sale in the classified for $40 to $50 and this
might be a source of a motor if it fits. Beats $120 and up for a new one.