Richard Cline

Default Seeking Random orbital sander

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had
several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and
the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful
Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different
tools.

My level of woodwork makes the 6" ROS seem pretty pricy.

Dick
max

Dick
I have owned the PC 5 inch and 6 inch right angle, the Bosch 5 inch and the
Dewalt 5 inch. Overall, it is the sander used the most. I prefer the Dewalt
over the PC but I would buy either before I bought the Craftsman. The Bosch
was not as pleasing to use but was more powerful. I would recommend the
velcro over PSA very strongly. The velcro is a better quicker less messy
system and the holes allow for vacuum pick up. If money were no issue I
would get the Fein.
max

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had
several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and
the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful
Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different
tools.

My level of woodwork makes the 6" ROS seem pretty pricy.

Dick

Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard Cline" wrote in message

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had
several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and
the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful
Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different
tools.

I have a PC and a DeWalt. I think the PC is built a little better, but I use
the DeWalt more because it is more comfortable to hold (for me, YMMV) The
more powerful does not always translate to better.

C & S

I'v owned 2 Makitas that I have liked very well. The Bosch I disliked only
because I found that *I* do not care for a D-handle.

Based on my experience with the Bosch, my bet is that a 6" is a better
second sander than 1st. A 5" palm is mush easier to handle when you are not
sanding a large horizontal surface. I have used my 5" palm in such crazy
places as up an extension ladder to clean up some peeling exterior trim.

If you ever want/need to use it one-handed, you want a 5. If you already
have a 5 and want to speed up sanding of large areas, get a 6.

-Steve

"Richard Cline" wrote in message

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had
several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and
the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful
Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different
tools.

My level of woodwork makes the 6" ROS seem pretty pricy.

Dick

Jim Behning

I bought a reconditioned Bosch fom the repair center 7 years ago with
the velcro pad. It works fine for me. Sanded stuff while I built the
house including hardwood floors and steps and one car I repainted. As
you can see from other posts everyone has their favorite if they have
used more than one. I just have experience with a few Bosch disk
sanders.

Richard Cline wrote:

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had
several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and
the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful
Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different
tools.

My level of woodwork makes the 6" ROS seem pretty pricy.

Dick

Sbtypesetter

If $$ is no issue, and you want electric,
then buy the Fein. If you want the best and fastest and your time is worth
some-
thing to you, then get the top-of-the-line
Dynabrade. The Dynabrade is one
purchase I will never regret. Soooo much
faster than my 5" P.C. ROS.

-Rick
Phisherman

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:03:35 -0800, Richard Cline
wrote:

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had
several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and
the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful
Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different
tools.

My level of woodwork makes the 6" ROS seem pretty pricy.

Dick

I like Porter Cable or Makita for sanders. Amperage is not all that
important as other things, like comfort, construction, how the
sandpaper is fastened, length of cord, good dust collection, etc.