Dave Hinz

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:23:23 -0600, Prometheus wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:39:14 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

(b) The content of the commercials is regulated by the government.

Yippie. They still don't tell you just what in the hell the drug in
question is supposed to do- shouldn't that be the point of the
commercials?

If they say what the drug does, they have to list the possible side-effects
in the commercial as well. Not a noticable thing until someone points
it out, but obvious after that.

Dave Hinz

J. Clarke

Prometheus wrote:

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:39:14 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:48:51 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:51:28 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

In article ,
"James T. Kirby" wrote:

And I'm guessing that techniques for cloning stem cells or isolating
them by different means will render the issue moot soon enough.

Also given the fact that other countries will do the research and
develop the science whether the US govt. supports it or not... Shall
we hold the folks who condemn the research at this point to rejecting
the treatment when they or a family member might need whatever
treatment becomes available? No, I guess not - my sense of liberal
compassion won't allow me to withhold aid from someone who needs it.

Coulda sworn it wasn't too long ago some of the compassionate liberals
were really upset that the government might be supporting R&D by those
nasty profit making drug manufacturers. I'm trying to figure out why
government support for [potentially life saving] drug R&D is bad but
[potentially life saving] stem cell R&D is good.

Funny, I coulda sworn that had something to do with the most of R&D
money of said drug manufacturers going to commericals that show people
hiking and canoeing without ever telling you just what in the heck the
drug is for.

(a) What percentage of "R&D money" was diverted to those commercials? In
fact what percentage of the annual income of that company was taken up by
those expenditures. I think you'll find that they were a drop in the
bucked for a company that size.

Couldn't find a percentage, here's an article with some ad budgets.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...1-drug-ads.htm
You could be quite right about it being a drop in the bucket, but any
signifigant money (and I'd call 160.8 million ad dollars for Vioxx
pretty darn signifigant) is taking away from R&D. I would imagine
that 9 figures would buy a pretty good chunk of research, instead of
frittering it away on short videos of people canoeing.

If the advertising is ineffective in increasing sales then you might have a
point. If the increased income from sales is greater than the cost of the
ads then the ads pay for themselves. So, playing Fun With Numbers, we find
that Vioxx is an arthritis medication, which puts it in the
Anti-inflammatory/analgesics category. Merck's sales in that segment were
2.6 billion dollars in 2003. The Vioxx ads cost 6 percent of that. If
they increase sales by 6 percent in the first year in that segment then
they've paid for themselves. If they increase it by a much smaller amount
over the life of the product then they've paid for themselves.

Merck did not become a forty billion dollar company with 22 billion dollars
a year in annual sales and 63,200 employees by "frittering money away on
short videos of people canoeing". You can be sure that that expenditure
was carefully scrutinized by a number of levels of management before being
authorized.

Now, to put it in the perspective of research, Merck increased has increased
their research budget about ten percent a year every year since 1994.
Between 2002 and 2003 they increased that budget by more than twice the
cost of those advertisements. The total research budget is about 20 times
the cost of those advertisements. And the advertisements represent less
than one percent of Merck's annual sales.

Most companies of any size have their annual reports online. They usually
contain this kind of information.

(b) The content of the commercials is regulated by the government.

Yippie. They still don't tell you just what in the hell the drug in
question is supposed to do- shouldn't that be the point of the
commercials?

Not if the government doesn't allow it. It's frustrating for the
pharmaceutical companies and frustrating for the advertising agencies, but
they do the best they can with what they've got. Until the government says
precisely what conditions are "on label" and what side effects must be
listed in the prescribing information they aren't allowed to say anything
about what it treats in their advertising. So they either have to wait
until the government gives them that information, in which case they don't
get the ad campaign in gear until after the product has shipped, and they
lose money in inventory costs, or they put out the kind of vague
advertising that you have seen. Obviously they have determined that the
vague advertising costs less than the inventory sitting on the shelves
waiting for sales to pick up would cost, otherwise they wouldn't be
spending money on it.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
mel

in my last post spell check changed the 5th type of abortion to
hysterectomy.. it should read hysterotomy

mel

Jana writes-I don't think anyone will ever be able to pinpoint an exact
time when the human gets a soul. I think logic can narrow it down a bit by
saying that it's when the brain develops. Any other part of the human body
can be transplanted or amputated and the soul remains unchanged.

I want to gently discuss the concept of a soul and expand on your logic a
bit if you'll permit. The logical path you've taken is that the soul is
contained in the brain. It may be.. but... is conscious thought the soul?
Do people with brain damage have a damaged soul? If you subscribe to the
belief that a soul even exists then chances are you also believe the soul
isn't bound by the physical properties of this world. Brain wave activity
can be monitored by various electrical impulses. When those impulses stop,
as you yourself have said, the body can continue to function for a bit.....
either artificially or simply just winding down. The thing is... brain
death and actual death don't always coincide.

You said the following,"If you have ever been present at the time of death
when a person becomes brain dead, it's all too clear. The body can continue
to function for a time or be assisted by life support, but when the brain's
gone...it's all over..."

If you've ever been in that situation.... if you were paying
attention....you would have noticed a brief instance between brain death and
actual death. That may be when the soul leaves the body. I do not believe
we can begin to understand what is the soul or where it resides or even how
it can reside and then leave to go..... where? The problem with applying
logic to it is that it's illogical in the first place.

I personally don't condemn stem cell research. I'm against using it to
justify abortion. Currently, there are over 4,000 abortions performed in the
US every day. That's way more research material than we need. There are a
sufficient amount of sources for the material needed to conduct research,
i.e. miscarriages, stillbirths and even the death of a pregnant woman. Don't
see anyone saying a woman ought to include the donating of a fetus in the
case of accidental death now do you? You see Jana, you stated earlier that
nothing would change your opinion about your hopes for stem cell research
and I wouldn't ask you to. What I would ask you to do is to not allow your
hope to compromise your values. I do not know if you subscribe to a
religious belief or not. I do. My belief includes that one day, by the
grace of God and the hope of salvation in Jesus that we all have been given
hope of perfect, flawless bodies. If you'd like to discuss this further I'd
be happy to via email.

Scott Cramer

"Scott Cramer" wrote in various messages and demonstrated his lack of
understanding of human physiology with comments such as--

If you truly feel that a microscopic cluster of cells is a human

being, then your conscience must bother the hell out of you with every
orgasm.

snip of bandwitdh hogging diatribe and graphic description of medical
procedures, every last one of them legal and life-saving, on occasion

Mel. I apologize for assuming that you have a sense of irony, and offer my
condolences on learning that you don't.

Ditto on the sense of humor.
mel

Mel. I apologize for assuming that you have a sense of irony, and offer my
condolences on learning that you don't.

Actually Scott you used sarcasm not irony. The fact that a male produces
sperm even without an orgasm...... now that's irony.

As far as a sense of humor.... well the simple are easily amused. I'm glad
you are enjoying yourself.

Prometheus

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:32:01 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Please explain how an undifferentiated single cell "already is an
entire human being."
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

How many cells does it take before you won't kill it?

I don't intend to kill any of them. All I've ever said is that I
don't believe any of us has the right to make that call for someone
else. Somehow that makes me not only a murderer, but a slaver and
supporter of Hilter as well, I guess- though I fail to see how.

todd
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
materiari?

Damn, it wasn't supposed to be that offensive to everyone, I just
thought I'd add a sig file like half the folks on here. Who cares if
it's in Latin or English? A quick google search pulls up the
definition right away.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Tom Watson

From: Patrick Leach )
Subject: Unidentifyable Jointer Plane
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: 1997/01/29

Scot Echols writes:

snip of his joinah's description

What you have is a plane by the Standard Rule Co. of Unionville,
Connecticut. Standard Rule was in business during the 1880's, and
later merged with the Upson Nut Company, which lasted into the
1890's until that company bailed, selling out to Stanley.

The planes are certainly unique looking contraptions. They never
sold all too well, and are quite collectible, depending upon their
condition. Usually, the totes are long snapped off since they are
so slender about their middle. The lugs under which the lever cap
fits are sometimes found snapped off.

The planes aren't made too well, especially when compared to the
Stanley products of the same era. Like Stanley, Standard Rule made
their planes in metallic and wood bottom models. They also made
block planes, which along with the #2 size bench plane, are the
the rarest products of the company. The #2 size plane is so crammed
with all the adjusting gizmos that the front portion of the tote
is often lopped off to accomodate adjusting of the iron's set.

Standard Rule was one of the first to nickel plate the lever caps
of their bench planes (metallic ones), long before Stanley ever did.
When the planes are found in near new condition, they are quite
striking with the contrast between the typical wild grained rosewood,
nickel plating, and honking big brass screws.

Patrick Leach
Just say Doing my best to avoid oldtools inbreeding.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Prometheus

[...]

You got me there, and I'm not going to argue with it. Not enough
sleep and too many cries of "murderer" directed at me got me good and
worked up, and I started poking my ass out. I just get irritated with
the huge number of commericals on every TV station, radio station,
highway, bus-stop, taxicab and hundreds of other sources that surround
us all the time. You can't get away from it, and it's gotten really
offensive to me. No doubt the companies make money as a result of
their ad campaigns- but they also make sickness, in my opinion. Some
people must have these medicines, but their doctors should be the ones
to prescribe them, not the television.

[...]

Todd Fatheree

"Prometheus" wrote in message Aut inveniam
viam aut faciam

How many cells does it take before you won't kill it?

I don't intend to kill any of them. All I've ever said is that I
don't believe any of us has the right to make that call for someone
else. Somehow that makes me not only a murderer, but a slaver and
supporter of Hilter as well, I guess- though I fail to see how.

Try to follow the point. How many cells does it take until you believe
there is something worth protecting? When does an unborn get rights of its
own, in your opinion? Only when it breathes air?

todd
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam

possit
materiari?

Damn, it wasn't supposed to be that offensive to everyone, I just
thought I'd add a sig file like half the folks on here. Who cares if
it's in Latin or English? A quick google search pulls up the
definition right away.

I didn't say anything about your sig. At least mine is on-topic. ;-)

todd

Scott Cramer

"mel" wrote in
. com:

Mel. I apologize for assuming that you have a sense of irony, and
offer my

condolences on learning that you don't.

As far as a sense of humor.... well the simple are easily amused. I'm
glad you are enjoying yourself.

I'm not that easily amused. But your hand-wringing and wailing over the
collection of stem cells, and the bizarre extrapolation to abortion, is
funny in a bleeding-heart conservative (tmSC) sort of way.

Just a heads up, Mel: stem cells aren't collected by dumpster diving at
Planned Parenthood clinics.
mel

But your hand-wringing and wailing over the collection of stem cells, and
the bizarre extrapolation to abortion, is funny in a bleeding-heart
conservative (tmSC) sort of way.

I'm going to try to help you understand, whether you agree to the views or
not, where the extrapolation comes from....

Some say life begins at conception

Some say life begins at birth.

Nobody knows for sure.

If you believe meaningful life begins at conception then you believe that
the loss of a fertilized egg is a loss of life.... accidental or
intentional.

If you believe meaningful life begins at birth then you believe it doesn't
matter until it draws breath.

There are many levels of belief in between. The above are the two extremes.

We, as a people, are being called to define our belief because of 1)
abortion, 2) invetro fertilization, and 3) stem cell research.

If you align yourself on the life at conception side then you believe all of
these issues warrant responsible consideration. I want to take the liberty
to make the statement this view is the only view you know for sure that
innocent life is being protected.

If you align yourself on the belief that there exist a particular stage in
development before it can be called a meaningful life then you are merely
guessing hence the often occurring need for justification. If you say that
you can fertilize an egg and allow it to develop to a point and then discard
it then you also say that same stage can be aborted. Hence the
extrapolation.

Just to define my view....I'm not against stem cell research. As long as
the material is collected in a responsible manner with consideration to the
protection of innocent life. i.e. miscarriages, stillbirths, accidental
death of a mother.

mel

Larry Wrote:

One small quibble to that.

I know that the woman carrying the fetus is a human. When the fetus

becomes human is, as you say, a matter of opinion. When there is a
conflict between the woman and the fetus, I'd have to come down on the
side of the woman. That's the only justification I need.

First, I'd ask you to define conflict and then I'd ask you to apply the
logic to the justification to ending any life... fetus to adult.
Self-preservation I'll buy along with numerous other extenuating
circumstances... personal inconvenience or the avoidance of unpleasant
consequences due to poor decisions.... I have to draw the line there.

Michael Roberts

Hey. Check the name of this group.... this is for woodworkin stuff, not
your philosophical rants.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,

(Jana) wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in message
.com...
In article , Larry Blanchard

Bullsh*t! Embryonic stem cells can be gotten from the thousands of
frozen unwanted embryos which are going to be discarded anyway.

Does that make it right?

Doug, Yes, it does make it right. No human should die in vain.

Hmmmm. So it's okay to kill, if some good is going to come of the

death?

Doug. They are not all utilized. The remainder are discarded ~ thrown
away.

This does not trouble you?

I would be the last person who would approve of stem cell
research if the only resources were from cells that were either
aborted or would eventually be used invetro.

What's the difference, morally, between harvesting stem cells from a baby
aborted in the womb, versus from a human embryo in vitro? Either one kills

unique human person.

We have the right to
disagree and I admit your responces have gotten under my skin. I
sincerely hope you or know one you love is ever dependant on this
research. I have a huge interest in it. My husband is in a
wheelchair. The fact that he can't walk isn't so bad. The pain is,
though. He describes it as having your toes in a vise as tight as
it'll go, with his feet in near boiling water, and the tingling you
get when your feet have been asleep...all at the same time. 24-7 for
over 7 years. The only relief is constant rubbing. It has nothing to
do with circulation, the nerves just misfire. Somehow, he's just
learned to deal with it. I'm not telling you this so you can feel
sorry for me or Jim. We doctor at Mayo and I've met so many people
that make us feel so lucky that I would be ashamed to complain. So,
I'm sorry, you will never ever change my mind. I've been working for
the past 7 years tying to get my husband to walk and it'll take more
than you to make me give up.

I'm sorry that your husband is in such pain. But I can't see that it in

any
way justifies killing in the _hope_ -- it's not even a certainty -- that a
treatment for his condition may be developed. In any event, research into
adult stem cells and umbilical cord stem cells has, so far, been much more
promising -- so why the insistence on using *embryonic* stem cells?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Michael Roberts" wrote:
Hey. Check the name of this group.... this is for woodworkin stuff, not
your philosophical rants.

Hey, check the title of the thread. See the "OT" in it? Stands for "off
topic". If you don't like reading off-topic threads, there's a simple
solution: don't read them.

--
Regards,

Soeren

Hi Doug,

Hey, check the title of the thread. See the "OT" in it? Stands for
"off topic". If you don't like reading off-topic threads, there's a
simple solution: don't read them.

Interesting as this discussion may be, you have just argued for reducing
the entire usenet to one large group - as long as people just start their
threads with OT.
You cannot be serious ?

--
Regards,
Soeren

* If it puzzles you dear... Reverse engineer *

Prometheus

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:43:48 +0000 (UTC), Soeren
wrote:

Hi Doug,

Hey, check the title of the thread. See the "OT" in it? Stands for
"off topic". If you don't like reading off-topic threads, there's a
simple solution: don't read them.

Interesting as this discussion may be, you have just argued for reducing
the entire usenet to one large group - as long as people just start their
threads with OT.
You cannot be serious ?

Ever been in a shop with your co-workers? Did you all focus on the
job at hand with a single-minded intensity, or chat about things that
had nothing whatsoever to do with work to pass the time between those
moments when focus on the job was absolutely necessary? There sure is
a place for "shop talk" in a woodworking forum, at least in my
opinion.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Soeren

Hi,

Prometheus wrote in
:

Ever been in a shop with your co-workers? Did you all focus on the
job at hand with a single-minded intensity, or chat about things that
had nothing whatsoever to do with work to pass the time between those
moments when focus on the job was absolutely necessary? There sure is
a place for "shop talk" in a woodworking forum, at least in my
opinion.

That would IMO hold true if this was real life, but I think this (and
other) discussion group(s) are more to be likened with say books - and
who would like a book on one subject waisting time/space on perhaps 50%
or more which had absolutely nothing to do with what they got the book
for.

So I could ask you back:
Ever been in a shop where all the nails, screws, bolts etc. of all sizes
was tossed in one large box and all the tools in another - I think there
is good reasons to keep wood issues in one group and political issues in
another, then we _all_ can select what each of us want and be spared what
we find "noise" - I guess you wouldn't be too happy if I drummed up a
couple of wood working buddies and started a flood of discussions of say
metalworking, motorcycling, robotics, local politics, (or whatever we are
presently debating amongst us), in this group ?

And yes, I know I probably cannot expect any changes on this, but that
will not keep me from expressing my opinion on the subject.

Of course, it has much to do with the balance of off topic to on topic
posts and the general magnitude of the former, so here is a suggestion:
Keep one single thread for OT posts and discuss *anything* OT in that
single thread - that should appeal to your (and others) arguments of
talking about a diverse range of subjects *and* keep the focus on
woodwork overall

--
Regards,
Soeren

* If it puzzles you dear... Reverse engineer *
New forum: URL:http://www.ElektronikTeknolog.dk/cgi-bin/SPEED/
Cute Swinger 8\)

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO GIVE THAT SPECIAL SOMEONE
A SEX TOY FOR CHRISTMAS! OR GIVE YOURSELF THAT
SPECIAL VIDEO!
http://www.sextoysex.com/a2k4
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
Looking to Find a Date?? with a REAL PERSON??

http://68.82.94.85:2000/Public/singles.htm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Looking to find local swingers & hookups?
Couples? Singles? SEARCH BY ZIPCODE!
100% FREE

http://68.82.94.85:2000/public/swingers/index.htm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You can also checkout our NEW all GAY site at

http://68.82.94.85:7000

(Jana) wrote:
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

ajb147

I found a good site discussing the ethics of Embryonic Stem Cell
Research. The author makes many good points that have been well
researched. It even talks about things that you can do to make a
difference. I encourage you to visit it:
http://www.hesc.cjb.net

Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Bad odor coming from expansion joint around interior wall of home John Hughes Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 06:05 PM