mel

But your hand-wringing and wailing over the collection of stem cells, and
the bizarre extrapolation to abortion, is funny in a bleeding-heart
conservative (tmSC) sort of way.

I'm going to try to help you understand, whether you agree to the views or
not, where the extrapolation comes from....

Some say life begins at conception

Some say life begins at birth.

Nobody knows for sure.

If you believe meaningful life begins at conception then you believe that
the loss of a fertilized egg is a loss of life.... accidental or
intentional.

If you believe meaningful life begins at birth then you believe it doesn't
matter until it draws breath.

There are many levels of belief in between. The above are the two extremes.

We, as a people, are being called to define our belief because of 1)
abortion, 2) invetro fertilization, and 3) stem cell research.

If you align yourself on the life at conception side then you believe all of
these issues warrant responsible consideration. I want to take the liberty
to make the statement this view is the only view you know for sure that
innocent life is being protected.

If you align yourself on the belief that there exist a particular stage in
development before it can be called a meaningful life then you are merely
guessing hence the often occurring need for justification. If you say that
you can fertilize an egg and allow it to develop to a point and then discard
it then you also say that same stage can be aborted. Hence the
extrapolation.

Just to define my view....I'm not against stem cell research. As long as
the material is collected in a responsible manner with consideration to the
protection of innocent life. i.e. miscarriages, stillbirths, accidental
death of a mother.