Brikp

Default Tennoning Jigs recomendations

OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

Considering

$79 Shopfox Woodstock -
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H5782

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

$109 Jet 708111
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

$106 Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...=10185&clk=412

I did a Google search and read the comments about quality of the delta and
that the Jet and powermatic are identical. I have not read anything about
the shopfox or rockler. I did see some previous posts about having to tweak
the miter guide rail on some saws. I have a Grizzly 1023 right tilt. I'm
thinking the shopfox should be as close to plug and play. Are the slot to
blade measurements the same on Griz and Delta and PM?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Brikp" wrote in message
OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

Considering

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

I have the Delta and like it. I'd probably buy the jig from Woodcraft for
about $60 if I was going to buy again. Looks as though it would work as
well and save 30 bucks. .

Since buying the jig I've added a dado blade. I use the dado blade more
than the tenoning jig now. Depends on what you are doing I guess.

Bannerstone

I bought the delta and had some issue moving it over to accomodate the different
slot position for a left tilt saw. I stripped the head on one of the hex bolts,
all the fasteners seemed to be exceedingly soft (read cheap). Just thought the
fasteners could have been much better quality. Otherwise works well, I'm not
terribly partial to it since I often cut one and two offs quicker with hand
tools.

David

In article , Brikp says...

OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

Considering

$79 Shopfox Woodstock -
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H5782

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

$109 Jet 708111
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

$106 Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...=10185&clk=412

I did a Google search and read the comments about quality of the delta and
that the Jet and powermatic are identical. I have not read anything about
the shopfox or rockler. I did see some previous posts about having to tweak
the miter guide rail on some saws. I have a Grizzly 1023 right tilt. I'm
thinking the shopfox should be as close to plug and play. Are the slot to
blade measurements the same on Griz and Delta and PM?

RonB

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

I have owned the Delta jig for a couple of years. It is solid and works
well. At the time I bought mine the detail parts (knobs, screws, etc)
seemed a little more substantial that the Jet.

I recently received a Woodcraft sale bill that shows a jig under their brand
that looks almost identical to my Delta. Main difference is $60 vs the 90+
I paid for my Delta (Amazon) and a green paint job.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Brikp" wrote in message
Ed - Do you work in Chicago?

Live in CT, work in MA

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
"Brikp" wrote:

OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?
$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...4584-5086427?v
=glance

I have the Delta. When a received it, the bar for the slot was slightly
warped and required some filing to make it fit, but from what I have
seen and heard this does not sound typical. It works well enough,
although I have some quibbles; for example, the clamp position range
doesn't always work out so well.

I have found that it is less useful *to me* the I might have thought
originally. Unless you are making an awful lot of tenons which are
destined for highly-repeatable machine-made mortises, the effort to set
it up, etc. is more then I have found worth the effort, when a band saw
(or handsaw for that matter) and an plane/chisel can make perfect
fitting tenons with relative ease, at least in smallish quantities.

PK
Brikp

Just curious - I know somone with same name that works in Chicago.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Brikp" wrote in message
Ed - Do you work in Chicago?

Live in CT, work in MA

Jay Knepper

I prefer a shop made version a la Tage Frid. From what others have reported
on the Delta tenoning jig, you can make your own jig and be cutting tenons
in less time than you will spend cleaning up a Delta jig to be usable.

Jay

wrote in message
OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

Considering

$79 Shopfox Woodstock -
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H5782

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

$109 Jet 708111
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

$106 Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...=10185&clk=412

I did a Google search and read the comments about quality of the delta and
that the Jet and powermatic are identical. I have not read anything about
the shopfox or rockler. I did see some previous posts about having to
tweak the miter guide rail on some saws. I have a Grizzly 1023 right tilt.
I'm thinking the shopfox should be as close to plug and play. Are the
slot to blade measurements the same on Griz and Delta and PM?

patrick conroy

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news

I have found that it is less useful *to me* the I might have thought
originally. Unless you are making an awful lot of tenons which are
destined for highly-repeatable machine-made mortises, the effort to set
it up, etc. is more then I have found worth the effort, when a band saw
(or handsaw for that matter) and an plane/chisel can make perfect

I came to that conclusion too. I was all ready and set to buy one: if it's
good 'nuff for Norm or David, then it's gotta make my stuff better too.
Unless I did my first M&T project. Now, I'm not sure there's a place for
one in my kit.

skeezics

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:03:42 -0500, "Brikp"
wrote:

OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

Considering

$79 Shopfox Woodstock -
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H5782

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

$109 Jet 708111
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

$106 Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...=10185&clk=412

I did a Google search and read the comments about quality of the delta and
that the Jet and powermatic are identical. I have not read anything about
the shopfox or rockler. I did see some previous posts about having to tweak
the miter guide rail on some saws. I have a Grizzly 1023 right tilt. I'm
thinking the shopfox should be as close to plug and play. Are the slot to
blade measurements the same on Griz and Delta and PM?

i got the 60$ one at woodcraft. set it up and made a couple test cuts.
seems to be servicable. when i get a chance to realy USE it i will
post some more thoughts.

skeez
Dave jackson

I bought the delta a few years ago. The set screws to adjust the slop in
the miter slot bar were stripped when I got it. Was pretty disappointed at
first, but it's fixed and works fine now. The micro adjustment is real
nice. Admittedly, the jig is used only to mass produce, otherwise, I hand
cut or bandsaw. -dave

wrote:

[...]

Andy Dingley

wrote:

OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

I believe they're called bandsaws

Jay Knepper

Someone wrote an extensive review of the Delta jig in this newsgroup a few
weeks ago. Among other things, I recall that he had to flatten the base to
make it usable. Perhaps yours is an older model.

Jay

"Stephen M" wrote in message
I prefer a shop made version a la Tage Frid. From what others have

reported
on the Delta tenoning jig, you can make your own jig and be cutting
tenons
in less time than you will spend cleaning up a Delta jig to be usable.

As an owner of the Delta, I find that hard to believe.

It takes about a minute or two set up for a cut.

I do not have a microadjust on my cabinet saw fence. For most work, that
is
fine but it IMHO it is necessary for tennon cheeck cuts. Being able to
literally dial that in (+/- .005") using the microadjust on the delta jig
is
worth the price of admission.

YMMV.

I recently made a table top with (an admittledly over-the-top complicated
series of ribs) with 50 tennons. I'm glad I had the jig.

Is it better than the competition? I've no idea.

-Steve

caveman

I have the Woodcraft, and it works just fine.

I disassembled the whole thing, degreased it, and reassembled. Also
had to move the base over (per instructions, which were good) to
adjust to track to blade spacing for my 1023SL.

When I had the thing disassembled, I took the opportunity to lap the
base of the jig, and clean up the rough spots from casting. I'd
strongly recommend this tuneup step to anyone using one of these jigs.
It now glides on the saw top without leaving any marks or scratches
whatsoever.

This jig goes on sale from time to time, and is a good value.

BMR

Have a look at the General - I don't own either, but at the last
woodshow I looked at both General and Delta and fit/finish seemed
better on the General. - It felt more 'solid.'

....r

wrote:

OK - Tennoning Jigs. Any recommendations?

Considering

$79 Shopfox Woodstock -
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H5782

$85 Delta 34-183
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...86427?v=glance

$109 Jet 708111
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

$106 Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findpro...=10185&clk=412

I did a Google search and read the comments about quality of the delta and
that the Jet and powermatic are identical. I have not read anything about
the shopfox or rockler. I did see some previous posts about having to tweak
the miter guide rail on some saws. I have a Grizzly 1023 right tilt. I'm
thinking the shopfox should be as close to plug and play. Are the slot to
blade measurements the same on Griz and Delta and PM?

mark

"BMR" wrote in message
Have a look at the General - I don't own either, but at the last
woodshow I looked at both General and Delta and fit/finish seemed
better on the General. - It felt more 'solid.'

I've got the Delta. Does the job -- no flattening necessary. Perfect out of
the box. I've never compared it to anything else, since it was a gift from
the wife. I did manage to strip out the set screw in the silver crank.

Phil Hansen

In article , patriarch
says...

snip
Is the FMT more reasonable in your corner of the world?

No, it is an expensive piece of equipment.
I do a fair amount of production work (should have mentioned it in the
saving is enormous and justifies the cost.
I agree that for a weekend woodworker it is overkill.
It is a great piece of engineering. Do not regret buying it as it has
saved me a lot of time. Get the setup right (one or two tests) and all
the joints are perfect, no tweaking.

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

NoOne N Particular

I bought the Rockler jig when it was on sale about a year or year and a half
ago. Heavy, solid and fits in the slots of my saw (Craftsman contractor)
well. However, when I took it out of the box it was apparently set up for
the slot on the right side of the blade (right tilt saw?), or maybe just a
different spacing for the slot. The base would hit the blade unless the
jig was adjusted almost all the way to it's extreme settings so I had to
change it over. The body of the jig was already machined so that was easy
enough. The only problem now is that the adjustment scale doesn't move so
it is basically useless (the scale, that is). But other than, that the jig
works well.

FWIW, the salesman said that he had the Delta jig and except for the color
he couldn't tell the difference.

Wayne

Jasper Circle Jigs... Bob UK diy 2 April 16th 04 12:23 PM
Table Saw Magic - anyone built any of the jigs? john moorhead Woodworking 25 February 18th 04 12:20 PM
jigs and fixtures Allan Adler Metalworking 6 January 9th 04 02:40 AM
Silly Question about Jigs - -- MHaseltine Woodworking 77 January 4th 04 07:15 PM