bob

Default can't get rid of my bandsaw!

I sold my Craftsman band saw back in March through an ad in the paper. The
first guy bought it. He drove up in an old Volvo, looked at the saw, cut a
board or two and wrote me a check. Said he'd be back with his SUV to pick
it up in a day or two. Well, here we are 8 months later, and the damn thing
is still sitting in my garage. I leave him a message every few weeks, he
says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

David Hall

I sold my Craftsman band saw back in March through an ad in the paper. The
first guy bought it. He drove up in an old Volvo, looked at the saw, cut a
board or two and wrote me a check. Said he'd be back with his SUV to pick
it up in a day or two. Well, here we are 8 months later, and the damn thing
is still sitting in my garage. I leave him a message every few weeks, he
says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

Next time you call, mention that your rental rate is say $30 per day but that
you are giving him the first two months free. Of course if he gets it out in
the next two days, you'll forgive the additional 6 months that have
accumulated.

Dave Hall
TWS

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:13:57 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

I sold my Craftsman band saw back in March through an ad in the paper. The
first guy bought it. He drove up in an old Volvo, looked at the saw, cut a
board or two and wrote me a check. Said he'd be back with his SUV to pick
it up in a day or two. Well, here we are 8 months later, and the damn thing
is still sitting in my garage. I leave him a message every few weeks, he
says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

I wouldn't bother delivering it. That is just what he's hoping for.
The saw's not yours anymore. Call the guy one last time and give him
a choice, he pays rent for the floor space or you move it out of your
shop and put it on the side of street - he can pick it up any time ;-)

TWS
http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
toller

a choice, he pays rent for the floor space or you move it out of your
shop and put it on the side of street - he can pick it up any time ;-)

NO NO NO
If you put it on the side of the street and someone takes it, you are
responsible because you made it look like trash.
You can stick it out in your backyard or someplace like that as long as you
notify him. You have no obligation to safeguard it, you just have to use
slight care.

GregP

wrote:

I sold my Craftsman band saw back in March through an ad in the paper. The
first guy bought it. He drove up in an old Volvo, looked at the saw, cut a
board or two and wrote me a check. Said he'd be back with his SUV to pick
it up in a day or two. Well, here we are 8 months later, and the damn thing
is still sitting in my garage. I leave him a message every few weeks, he
says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

I did that t someone: I bought and paid for a 24-ft boat from
him and then didn't pick it up for 10 months. My father's death,
winter, a family sickness, and some major projects at work
intervened, but I didn't feel like talking about them when the
guy called asking me when/if I planned to pick it up.
TWS

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:31:17 GMT, "toller" wrote:

a choice, he pays rent for the floor space or you move it out of your
shop and put it on the side of street - he can pick it up any time ;-)

NO NO NO
If you put it on the side of the street and someone takes it, you are
responsible because you made it look like trash.
You can stick it out in your backyard or someplace like that as long as you
notify him. You have no obligation to safeguard it, you just have to use
slight care.

You don't have to actually put it on the side of the street, you
simply tell the guy that's what you'll do, unless, of course, he's
willing to pay rent or pick it up.

TWS
http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
Alan W

"bob" wrote in message . ..
I sold my Craftsman band saw back in March through an ad in the paper. The
first guy bought it. He drove up in an old Volvo, looked at the saw, cut a
board or two and wrote me a check. Said he'd be back with his SUV to pick
it up in a day or two. Well, here we are 8 months later, and the damn thing
is still sitting in my garage. I leave him a message every few weeks, he
says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

Hopefully you have kept a phone log for a number of the calls.

Send him a registered letter, will cost you about $5.00. Specify he
has 10 days from receipt of letter to _pick up_ the bandsaw. List the
hours you are available in your letter. State you have called at
least # times on these dates.

If he chooses not to pick it up, his deposit will be forfeited as
storage fees and you will resell the item immediately.

Alan

Silvan

bob wrote:

says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

Where do you live? I could use a free bandsaw.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
LRod

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:48:21 -0800, "Jeff Johnson"
wrote:

He already paid for the saw. He must be having some kind of problem. I
would deliver it, or give back his money and then I would sleep well.

Although there might be part of the story missing (I'd like to know
how far away the guy lives), this solution strikes highest on my
ethics meter.

If it's across town, I don't think there'd be any question. 150 miles?
That's a different story.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Chris Hornberger

wrote:

[...]

Possession is 9/10 of the law. Or so they say. I think if it's left on your
property for 90 days after reasonable attempts at settlement, it returns
to your discretion... if not outright ownership... for disposal. Check your
local laws accordingly. If it's a decent unit and won't cost too much to
ship/pickup, I'll pay you what he paid you so you have funds to return to
him.

PS... yes, I'm shamelessly jonesing for a bandsaw.

igor

Write and tell him that, after Y attempts to reach him, you have to put it
up for sale again in X days and that you will send him the difference (if
there is one) after expenses -- such as the cost of the new ad. So, if he
paid you $200 and you sell it for $200 and it cost $10 for the new ad, send
him $190.

FWIW, if he ever took you to small claims court at some later point you
would be in good shape, IMO. Keep copies of the letter to him and other
paperwork for 5 years. It's a pain, but this would be fair to him. You
actually have the right to call a used tool place (which would pay you
less) and then send him the difference. BTW, you cannot deduct anything
for your time -- assuming you are not in the used tool business or unless
this was written in some bill of sale, etc. HTH. -- Igor

wrote:

I sold my Craftsman band saw back in March through an ad in the paper. The
first guy bought it. He drove up in an old Volvo, looked at the saw, cut a
board or two and wrote me a check. Said he'd be back with his SUV to pick
it up in a day or two. Well, here we are 8 months later, and the damn thing
is still sitting in my garage. I leave him a message every few weeks, he
says he's coming by, but never does. I'm tempted to leave it on his front
porch one of these days.... And yes, the check cleared.

LRod

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:39:24 -0500, "Chris Hornberger"
wrote:

Possession is 9/10 of the law. Or so they say.

Actually, it's "possession is nine POINTS of the law." A different
proposition altogether. In any event, that's a legal standpoint. I
think from an ethical standpoint you're on shaky ground.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
igor wrote:

Write and tell him that, after Y attempts to reach him, you have to put it
up for sale again in X days and that you will send him the difference (if
there is one) after expenses -- such as the cost of the new ad. So, if he
paid you $200 and you sell it for $200 and it cost $10 for the new ad, send
him $190.

FWIW, if he ever took you to small claims court at some later point you
would be in good shape, IMO. Keep copies of the letter to him and other
paperwork for 5 years. It's a pain, but this would be fair to him. You
actually have the right to call a used tool place (which would pay you
less) and then send him the difference. BTW, you cannot deduct anything
for your time -- assuming you are not in the used tool business or unless
this was written in some bill of sale, etc. HTH. -- Igor

I agree with this way of handling it igor - honest, ethical, attempting
to give him one last chance, without malice. And do keep copies and
notes of all correspondence, payments and receipts.

____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger