GregP

Default Painting joists in the basement

This is probably not the right group for this, but I decided
to ask anyway since a lot of people here know wood very
well. I have a Boris Karloff basement, one of those with
stone walls, exposed joists, spider webs, and - unfortunately-
some mold. We tackled the mold last week. I am going
to paint the stone walls with anti-somethingorother paint.
I was thinking of also putting a coat on the overhead joists.
Would that cause any problems in the long run ? I would
put on only one coat, so I assume that that, plus all of the
cracks, gaps, etc will still let vapor pass through.

thanks...
RE Quick Transit

"GregP" wrote in message

Would that cause any problems in the long run ? I would
put on only one coat, so I assume that that, plus all of the
cracks, gaps, etc will still let vapor pass through.

thanks...

It will brighten things up. Think about getting a sprayer if it is the older
rough cut lumber.

Wilson

You can make things worse by trapping moisture under the paint. How about
something porus, maybe whitewash. I'd use clear copper naphthanate if
possible, but I'm not sure about its fumes.

Hopefully you'll get some ventilation. A dehumidifier will help too, as
will a membrane on the floor, if it's not slabbed.

Wilson
"GregP" wrote in message

This is probably not the right group for this, but I decided
to ask anyway since a lot of people here know wood very
well. I have a Boris Karloff basement, one of those with
stone walls, exposed joists, spider webs, and - unfortunately-
some mold. We tackled the mold last week. I am going
to paint the stone walls with anti-somethingorother paint.
I was thinking of also putting a coat on the overhead joists.
Would that cause any problems in the long run ? I would
put on only one coat, so I assume that that, plus all of the
cracks, gaps, etc will still let vapor pass through.

thanks...

GregP

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:20:01 GMT, "RE Quick Transit"
wrote:

It will brighten things up. Think about getting a sprayer if it is the older
rough cut lumber.

Oh yeah: it's a Boris Karloff basement, with stone walls, spider
webs, old dimension roug-cut lumber, a coal bin, etc.
GregP

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:19:48 GMT, "Wilson"
wrote:

You can make things worse by trapping moisture under the paint. How about
something porus, maybe whitewash. I'd use clear copper naphthanate if
possible, but I'm not sure about its fumes.

I'll lokk into it, thanks.

wrote:

It will brighten things up. Think about getting a sprayer if it is the older
rough cut lumber.

Oh yeah: it's a Boris Karloff basement, with stone walls, spider
webs, old dimension roug-cut lumber, a coal bin, etc.

be a shame to brighten it up too much.

have you considered installing a pipe organ in it? maybe a few
*really* creaky old doors, too.

Fred the Red Shirt

JGS wrote in message ...
Zinesser makes a paint for materials exposed to dampness. I think it is
an acrylic latex and is guaranteed to prevent mold for 5 years +. JG

Generally speaking latex paints are permeable to water vapor. The
wood still 'breathes' and if water gets in to the wood through an
unpainted surface, like from above on a joist, it can evaporate
through the paint. That assumes the water only gets in rarely.

Many years ago my Dad had me paint the joists and subfloor in
our basement ceiling. It made a tremendous difference in terms
of brightening the laundry room and workshop. He had me wipe
the joists with a damp rag so that, in addition ot cleaning them,
the surface would be moistened and would not soak up quite so
much paint. The latex paint we used stuck well. I do not
remember the brand

A latex paint made especially for damp locations should be perfect
for your need.

--

FF

basement painting glen Home Repair 5 March 29th 04 03:38 AM
Insulating Basement How dDo I handle Ceiling Joists? mkochsch Home Repair 3 February 27th 04 03:50 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 02:58 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Doug Swetland Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 06:09 PM