A Womack

Default Is there a 1/2 collet trim router?

Wanting a smaller trim type router for hand held use around the shop with a
1/2" collet. The TR12 mainly stays in the router table, it being a 5
minute pain to remove, remove the plate, reinstall the old plate, change
the bit, use it, remove the bit, put the old bit back, remove the plate,
install the plate, reinsert into the table.

Alan
Kevin Singleton

I'm not aware of a trim router with a 1/2" collet. You're probably looking
at having to settle for a smaller, but full-sized router, like the DeWalt
DW621, or the Porter-Cable 690 series. You may not have to remove the plate
from your existing router to use it hand-held. Consider just leaving it on,
and taking advantage of the larger base, with straight sides.

--
Kevin
-=#=-
"A Womack" wrote in message
Wanting a smaller trim type router for hand held use around the shop with
1/2" collet. The TR12 mainly stays in the router table, it being a 5
minute pain to remove, remove the plate, reinstall the old plate, change
the bit, use it, remove the bit, put the old bit back, remove the plate,
install the plate, reinsert into the table.

Alan

patriarch

A Womack wrote in
:

Wanting a smaller trim type router for hand held use around the shop
with a 1/2" collet. The TR12 mainly stays in the router table, it
being a 5 minute pain to remove, remove the plate, reinstall the old
plate, change the bit, use it, remove the bit, put the old bit back,
remove the plate, install the plate, reinsert into the table.

If you want a trim router, because it's light and handy, then there are
some good ones.

If you want a 1/2" collet, because you don't want to buy more router bits,
that's OK, too.

I have the Porter Cable 310P, as well as the 7310. Both were improved
substantially, from a safety and usability perspective, by purchasing Pat
Warner's clear router bases, both round and offset.

So was the 690 that I have. Used with Pat's clear offset base, I used it
to cut door hinge mortises last weekend, something that I normally would
have used a trimmer for. The larger router base bridged the mortise more
easily, and spun the larger bit I was using more easily as well. (large
hinges, maple ply edge work.)

www.patwarner.com Lots of good router advice. No affiliation, etc. Just a
happy, repeat customer of a bright fellow, who stops by here occaisionally.

Pat offers his experienced opinions of a wide range of routers there.
Trust him.

Patriarch
Cherokee-LTD

Have you considered the Milwaukee "Body Grip" router?
http://tinyurl.com/6a7b8 (Amazon - $169.99)
It's fairly light and compact for a 2 1/4 hp 1/2" router and features
comfortable one handed use. I've tried one and liked it but I don't own one
so I can't offer much of an opinion on it.

-Brian

"A Womack" wrote in message
: Wanting a smaller trim type router for hand held use around the shop with
: 1/2" collet. The TR12 mainly stays in the router table, it being a 5
: minute pain to remove, remove the plate, reinstall the old plate, change
: the bit, use it, remove the bit, put the old bit back, remove the plate,
: install the plate, reinsert into the table.
:
: Alan

Routerman P. Warner

Lightest, not smallest, 1/2" router probably Bosch 1617 @ 7.7 pounds.
Then DW 618 fixed base.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
Wanting a smaller trim type router for hand held use around the shop with a
1/2" collet. The TR12 mainly stays in the router table, it being a 5
minute pain to remove, remove the plate, reinstall the old plate, change
the bit, use it, remove the bit, put the old bit back, remove the plate,
install the plate, reinsert into the table.

Alan

An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Router collet sizes Mike UK diy 6 March 31st 04 02:24 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM
Router Collet - crack? Robert Gray Woodworking 3 December 2nd 03 07:13 AM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM