Robert Salz

Default 1/2 sheet sander recommendations

I am looking to buy a 1/2 sheet sander for general woodworking use. I am
looking on Ebay, and I see some Craftsmen and Milwaukee..What are some of
the better 1/2 sheet sanders old and new? I dont mind used, but if I have
to, I will buy new. Is Porter Cable better than Bosch, Milwaukee? etc.?
There are quite a few Craftsmen out there. Thanks Robert

JGS

Hi Robert,
We have a couple of RO sanders but on Leon's advice for a finishing sander I
bought a PC Speedbloc 1/4 sheet sander and use PSA paper. It's great. Now if
it only had dust pick up.../ JG

Robert Salz wrote:

I am looking to buy a 1/2 sheet sander for general woodworking use. I am
looking on Ebay, and I see some Craftsmen and Milwaukee..What are some of
the better 1/2 sheet sanders old and new? I dont mind used, but if I have
to, I will buy new. Is Porter Cable better than Bosch, Milwaukee? etc.?
There are quite a few Craftsmen out there. Thanks Robert

Leon

"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...
PC makes a sander that looks like the Speedbloc but with slightly larger
motor and a dust pickup. Would that be a similar performer?

Bob

No. Only a Speedbloc is a Speedbloc. If you are talking about the grey
colored one, it is basically entry level. I have used both and the
Speedbloc runs circles around the other one. The Speedbloc will set you
back about $85.00 new. The design has been around for ever, so to speak and
continues to be one of the best.

Morris Dovey

Leon wrote:

Only a Speedbloc is a Speedbloc.

That's it in a nutshell. I recently sent mine in for re-cording
and a new eccentric bearing after a quarter century of use.

The repair shop had to order the bearing; and while I was waiting
to get the sander back I wore out /two/ cheapie (~$30 ea) sanders
from the BORG.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Leon

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Only a Speedbloc is a Speedbloc.

That's it in a nutshell. I recently sent mine in for re-cording and a new
eccentric bearing after a quarter century of use.

The repair shop had to order the bearing; and while I was waiting to get
the sander back I wore out /two/ cheapie (~$30 ea) sanders from the BORG.

I rebuilt the bad assembly on mine this spring, The clamps broke and the
spring and clamp went flying. I never use any thing but PSA but that break
threw every thing out of balance. Not too bad for 15 years of work. The
new pad assembly made the sander quiet and it runs like new. The new pad
assembly included the bearing.

Bob

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...
PC makes a sander that looks like the Speedbloc but with slightly larger
motor and a dust pickup. Would that be a similar performer?

Bob

No. Only a Speedbloc is a Speedbloc. If you are talking about the grey
colored one, it is basically entry level. I have used both and the
Speedbloc runs circles around the other one. The Speedbloc will set you
back about $85.00 new. The design has been around for ever, so to speak

and
continues to be one of the best.

Man, I am glad I asked! Thanks for clarifying, Leon.

Bob

Trent©

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 04:40:57 GMT, "Robert Salz"
wrote:

I am looking to buy a 1/2 sheet sander for general woodworking use. I am
looking on Ebay, and I see some Craftsmen and Milwaukee..What are some of
the better 1/2 sheet sanders old and new? I dont mind used, but if I have
to, I will buy new. Is Porter Cable better than Bosch, Milwaukee? etc.?
There are quite a few Craftsmen out there. Thanks Robert

I use a Porter Cable...very pleased. Get one with a dust collector if
you can.

Whatever you buy, try to hear it before you buy. Some are very
noisy...but not much of a problem as long as you wear ear protection.

Have a nice one...

Trent