Bondo?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:04:26 -0700, Pixmaker
wrote:

Now, instead of replacing the wood, I'd like to fill the rough areas
with some kind of mastic, sand it and then finish it, probably with a
varnish of some kind.

Jack

"Pixmaker" wrote in message
Hello, All:

I use a piece of ½-inch plywood over the rug in my office as a base
for my desk chair. ...
Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

I just bought my daughters the plastic carpet protector from an office store
for $8 (in Orlando). I'd guess you'll spend more in time and materials to
make the plywood do the job.

Jack

Jim K

I'd use some epoxy putty.

wrote:

Hello, All:

I use a piece of ½-inch plywood over the rug in my office as a base
for my desk chair. It's about 4 feet x 6 feet. I use the widest
possible rollers on the chair (5 rollers) and it's worked quite well
for about three years.

Recently, probably because of some small voids, the surface has broken
down and become a little rough. Not everywhere. . .just one or two
places. The surface has never been finished.

In fact, I could live with this small problem except for the fact that
this office is at home, in the spare bedroom, and it's annoying as
H*** to pick those splinters out of my feet!

Now, instead of replacing the wood, I'd like to fill the rough areas
with some kind of mastic, sand it and then finish it, probably with a
varnish of some kind.

The truth is, it's a real pita to haul the wood away and replace it.
Yeah, I'll do it if I must, but, believing in the concept of maximum
entropy, I'm willing to do almost anything to avoid it. (Except wear
shoes at home. . . I live in Florida.)

I (and my feet) will be eternally grateful for any ideas as to what
kind of tough filler and finish would be appropriate for this job.

Thanks,

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

Joe_Stein

Can't you just flip-it (putting the rough side down?). Or is it rougher
that way?
Personally, I'd go with one of those mats available at the office supply
store. I currently don't use a mat. I have shag-like carpeting and my
desk chair (w/ 5 casters) has no problem with it.
My 2 cents.
Have fun.
Joe