Al Reid

Default Degloss additive?

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

I have four gallons of gloss Deft that I got for 5% off at a local hardware store that was discontinuing the product. I am about
out of the semi-gloss that I bought there, so I would like to kill the gloss on this stuff.

Any Ideas?

--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:36:34 -0400, Al Reid wrote:
Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

I have four gallons of gloss Deft that I got for 5% off at a local hardware store that was discontinuing the product. I am about
out of the semi-gloss that I bought there, so I would like to kill the gloss on this stuff.
Any Ideas?

I've heard "talcum powder", but haven't tried it. You'd want unscented
unless you want your workpiece to smell like a baby's changing table.

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:13:28 GMT, Wood Butcher wrote:
Once it's thoroughly dry a gentle rub with 0000 steel
wool does the trick nicely.

Good point, also gives you the option to go back to gloss later, where
putting something in the finish makes that never an option.

Al Reid

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:13:28 GMT, Wood Butcher wrote:
Once it's thoroughly dry a gentle rub with 0000 steel
wool does the trick nicely.

Good point, also gives you the option to go back to gloss later, where
putting something in the finish makes that never an option.

Fair enough. I just thought I had seen some kind of additive and couldn't remember where or what it was called. Looks like elbow
grease is the organic additive I'll need to use.

Thanks!

--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

firstjois

Charles Spitzer wrote:
use the gloss for all the coats except the last one

Or use a satin poly varnish for the top coat.

But I think I have heard of an additive to de-gloss gloss. Did you ask the
dealer where you bought the paint? They might add de-glosser free of
charge.

Josie

Eric Johnson

go to the nearest autobody and paint supply there are many products
available depending on the paint base and it's a pretty common process in
the automotive world ... Camo jobs and the like are generally shiny paint
that are glossed down when they mix the paint.

Nova

Al Reid wrote:

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

You can add a "flattener" such as that made by Behlen and sold by Liberon.

http://www.liberonsupply.com/liberon.html

"FLATTENER
REDUCES THE GLOSS OF A FINISH
Flattening agent for lacquer. Transparent liquid additive used
to reduce the gloss of a finish. One gallon of gloss lacquer
finish requires 16 ounces of Flattener to convert it to a flat
finish. A satin sheen requires only 8 oz’s. of Flattener added
to a gallon of gloss lacquer.
# B610-01006 - Quart .................................................. ........ $11.98"

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Al Reid

"Nova" wrote in message
Al Reid wrote:

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into

semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

You can add a "flattener" such as that made by Behlen and sold by Liberon.

http://www.liberonsupply.com/liberon.html

"FLATTENER
REDUCES THE GLOSS OF A FINISH
Flattening agent for lacquer. Transparent liquid additive used
to reduce the gloss of a finish. One gallon of gloss lacquer
finish requires 16 ounces of Flattener to convert it to a flat
finish. A satin sheen requires only 8 oz's. of Flattener added
to a gallon of gloss lacquer.
# B610-01006 - Quart

.................................................. ......... $11.98"

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

--
Al Reid

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

Best way is to rub the shine out with pumice when it's dry and hard.

Quickest and easiest way is to mix a flattening powder in with the wet
varnish. Talcum powder works, as does almost anything plain and
powdery. If you use something hard like silex (airfloat silica)
though, it becomes impossible to sand it. Try the talcum powder, but
experiment first - a couple of oz in a gallon is enough to start
making a difference.

--
Smert' spamionam
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:05:40 +0100, Andy Dingley
calmly ranted:

wrote:

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

Best way is to rub the shine out with pumice when it's dry and hard.

Quickest and easiest way is to mix a flattening powder in with the wet
varnish. Talcum powder works, as does almost anything plain and
powdery. If you use something hard like silex (airfloat silica)
though, it becomes impossible to sand it. Try the talcum powder, but
experiment first - a couple of oz in a gallon is enough to start
making a difference.

I prefer to degloss varnish with 0000 steel wool and paste
wax. Wouldn't that also work on lacquer if one was careful?
I know lacquer is thinner than varnish.

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com

George E. Cawthon

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:36:34 -0400, Al Reid wrote:
Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

I have four gallons of gloss Deft that I got for 5% off at a local hardware store that was discontinuing the product. I am about
out of the semi-gloss that I bought there, so I would like to kill the gloss on this stuff.
Any Ideas?

I've heard "talcum powder", but haven't tried it. You'd want unscented
unless you want your workpiece to smell like a baby's changing table.

Dave Hinz

Yech, who would buy talcum powder that smells like baby poop?
Ba r r y

wrote:

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

I have four gallons of gloss Deft that I got for 5% off at a local hardware store that was discontinuing the product. I am about
out of the semi-gloss that I bought there, so I would like to kill the gloss on this stuff.

Don't forget that early coats of a finish should be gloss. Flattening
agents cloud finishes. Only the last one or two coats should be
semi-gloss.

Use that gloss stuff to build finishes.

Barry
Ba r r y

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:33:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I prefer to degloss varnish with 0000 steel wool and paste
wax. Wouldn't that also work on lacquer if one was careful?

It works great! Lacquer is usually sprayed, while varnish is often
brushed. Enough coats need to be sprayed to ensure a decent build
before rubbing.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nope, but before it sets up, run the same roller over the surface to lift the gloss off, just before it sets, do this several times and you will have a durable non shiney surface.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ve-276528-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 11:45:07 PM UTC-4, Ratman wrote:
Nope, but before it sets up, run the same roller over the surface to lift the gloss off, just before it sets, do this several times and you will have a durable non shiney surface.

It's been 16 years. I think it's set.