Jeff

Default 7" Tee Hinge Painted/Rusted

I have some 80 year old garage door hinges that don't look easy to replace.
I believe they
are called tee hinges and have a 7" length pad. I'd like to try
rejuvinating them as using the
original hardware would be a huge bonus to my project. Beyond that, if
there are any suggestions
on where I might find such a non-standard hinge, I'm open to suggestions.

I've removed them from the garage/door and used some JASCO paint remover I
had
laying around. While the hinge used to be completely frozen, taking the
paint off helped a lot
and uncovered some nice rust. I'd like to clean the rust out, but common
sense tells me I'd
have to take it apart to do it right (it's still amost frozen solid)..

How would I know if the hinge has a non-removable pin? It does appear to
have a small sliver
of space on one pin that looks made for prying where the other end is flush.
Never having taken
a hinge apart (much less put one back together), any suggestions on how to
take it apart, clean the
rust and get it back together without destroying it?

Thanks!

Jeff

Greg O

"Jeff" wrote in message
Never having taken

a hinge apart (much less put one back together), any suggestions on how to
take it apart, clean the
rust and get it back together without destroying it?

Thanks!

Jeff

I doubt you will have to take it apart.
One thing you can try is to soak it in a bath of water and hydrocloric acid,
but be carefull! Hydrocloric acid is very nasty stuff, just the fumes alone
will cause burns, especially to your nose!
Another method is electrolosis. It is a method of using a very mild acid
solution, and a battery charger to electrically remove the rust.
More info on this method can be had over at rec.crafts.metalworking.
Greg

Old Nick

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:50:18 -0500, "Greg O"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

From what I know electrolysis uses alkaline (caustic soda or washing
soda), not acid solution. Acid would etch the good metal. Alkali does
not.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Electrolysis.htm

I doubt you will have to take it apart.
One thing you can try is to soak it in a bath of water and hydrocloric acid,
but be carefull! Hydrocloric acid is very nasty stuff, just the fumes alone
will cause burns, especially to your nose!
Another method is electrolosis. It is a method of using a very mild acid
solution, and a battery charger to electrically remove the rust.
More info on this method can be had over at rec.crafts.metalworking.
Greg

Have you noticed that people always run from what
they _need_ toward what they want?????
Upscale

"Jeff" wrote in message
there are any suggestions
on where I might find such a non-standard hinge, I'm open to suggestions.

Iron or Brass or Weathered?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

TeamCasa

Jeff, It's just a hinge. Toss into a bucket of motor oil for a few days.
Remove, clean with solvent, wire brush or if you have access to a glass bead
blaster. (Many auto repair shops have them.)

Remove the hinge pin, clean again, grease the pin, re-assemble, prime with
red oxide, paint to suit then re-install.

Dave

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Bilodeau

Jeff,

Here is my suggestion. Take the hinge to a local blacksmith, he/she
will be able to free it in a matter of a few minutes. You do not have
to take it apart. You only need to heat the hinge to a red heat and
work it back and forth. this will burn off any paint or crud that has
gotten into the hinge joint and will burnish the pin with the barrels.
While working it back and forth, cool the hinge in a bucket of water.
Allow to dry and you have fixed it as well as cleaned off any excess
gunk. repaint to suit and you are done.

I helped another blacksmith free a rust-frozen pair of tongs in this
manner and it is fast and easy. No disassembly required.

Hope this helps,
Paul