Michael Burton

Default Wood Magazine "Market Test"

I just got an offer in the mail today from Wood Magazine. It says I will
get 2 years free if I subscribe to their magazine for 1 year. Well, this
sounds great until I read, in the fine print, that the 3 years total
consists of 21 issues. OK...since when does 36 months worth of subscription
equal 21 issues in a monthly published magazine?!
I guess the "market test" is to determine how many idiots exist in their
subscriber base. Even if I misread the ad and the 21 magazines are the
"free" part, it should still be 24 issues for the "free" 2 years. So they
are trying to screw us out of at least 3 if I read the ad wrong, but more
probably 15 issues with this steaming pile of BS offer. I was thinking of
getting a subscription to "Wood" before I got this offer. Now that I think
about it, Fine Woodworking, Shop Notes, Woodsmith are plenty. I can at
least trust them to not try to take advantage of me with slick worded ad
copy.
Anybody know anything about why the mag. would try to do this? Did they
hire the Clinton's?

--
Michael Burton
Llano, TX

mhburton at moment dot net
Gary Milliorn

Er, Michael,

"Michael Burton" mhburtonatmomentdotnet wrote in message
.85...
I just got an offer in the mail today from Wood Magazine. It says I will
get 2 years free if I subscribe to their magazine for 1 year. Well, this
sounds great until I read, in the fine print, that the 3 years total
consists of 21 issues. OK...since when does 36 months worth of
subscription
equal 21 issues in a monthly published magazine?!

Wood is only published seven times a year. You can check in the back page
of an issue for the publishers statement. Haven't seen the mailer, maybe
they
need to make it clearer.

Regards,
Gary

I guess the "market test" is to determine how many idiots exist in their
subscriber base. Even if I misread the ad and the 21 magazines are the
"free" part, it should still be 24 issues for the "free" 2 years. So they
are trying to screw us out of at least 3 if I read the ad wrong, but more
probably 15 issues with this steaming pile of BS offer. I was thinking of
getting a subscription to "Wood" before I got this offer. Now that I think
about it, Fine Woodworking, Shop Notes, Woodsmith are plenty. I can at
least trust them to not try to take advantage of me with slick worded ad
copy.
Anybody know anything about why the mag. would try to do this? Did they
hire the Clinton's?

--
Michael Burton
Llano, TX

mhburton at moment dot net

Doug Miller

In article , Michael Burton mhburtonatmomentdotnet wrote:
I just got an offer in the mail today from Wood Magazine. It says I will
get 2 years free if I subscribe to their magazine for 1 year. Well, this
sounds great until I read, in the fine print, that the 3 years total
consists of 21 issues. OK...since when does 36 months worth of subscription
equal 21 issues in a monthly published magazine?!

"Monthly published magazine" equals mistaken assumption on your part.

Wood publishes seven times a year.

--
Regards,

Leon

[...]

What the big deal?????
You do realize that Woodsmith and ShopNotes are published less often that
Wood magazine don't you. A 3 year subscription to ShopNotes and Woodsmith
are only 18 issues and you get no years free. I guess the test market found
an idiot.

firstjois

Leon wrote:
[...]

This offer is part of a "market test" and when it was mailed several other
offers were mailed at the same time. The original poster has pointed out a
poorly worded section of the offer that may have spoiled the test results
and the publishers may never know why the response was so poor. Tests like
this are pretty expensive and forwarding the original post to the
publishers might be very helpful to them.

Josie

MaxEN

Michael Burton mhburtonatmomentdotnet wrote in message 0.85...
[...]

If you want to subscribe, subscribe with confidence, they are not
screwing anybody, I am a subscriber for 4 years now and have no
problem with them.
And yes, they do not have 12 issue a Year, but 7 only.
Maxen
Leon

"firstjois" wrote in message

This offer is part of a "market test" and when it was mailed several other
offers were mailed at the same time. The original poster has pointed out
poorly worded section of the offer that may have spoiled the test results
and the publishers may never know why the response was so poor. Tests
like
this are pretty expensive and forwarding the original post to the
publishers might be very helpful to them.

Maybe, but the OP indicated that a 3 year subscription should have 36
issues. No so. 2 of the publications that he already subscribes to, per
his comment, only offer 6 issues per year. He should not have been ignorant
to the fact not all magazines have 12 issues per year. And as per his
explanation, the offer was with 1 paid year you get 2 years free. No
indication that he would get 24 issues free. He basically is passing up
an opportunity to buy a 3 year subscription for a 1 year price. Had he
subscribed at the regular 1 year price he would still only get 7 issues per
year. I saw nothing poorly worded in his explanation of the offer.

Gary

"Michael Burton" mhburtonatmomentdotnet wrote in message
.85...

Even if I misread the ad and the 21 magazines are the
"free" part, it should still be 24 issues for the "free" 2 years. So they
are trying to screw us out of at least 3 if I read the ad wrong, but more
probably 15 issues with this steaming pile of BS offer. --
Michael Burton
Llano, TX

Oh yeah, definitely some BS, but me thinks it's on you! Oh Lord, it's hard,
to be humble........

Whatcha say Michael? Don't you hate it when this happens?

Phisherman

Many magazines have aggressive marketing tactics. I suspect an issue
is published every two months with a end-of-year bonus issue. The
only benefit of magazines over books is the advertisements and
possibly new tool designs. I agree that Fine Woodworking and
ShopNotes cover 99% of my magazine needs.

On 6 Oct 2004 03:27:49 GMT, Michael Burton mhburtonatmomentdotnet
wrote:

[...]

Gary

[...]

I skimmed though the mailer yesterday morning. I thought, I've seen Wood
magazine, I recall liking their articles, Sure, sounds like a good deal to
me so I placed the subscription in the mail. 21 issues at the newstand
price of 3.95 (I think); thats about $80 worth of magazine. I didn't like
how they added $4 shipping and handling but subscribed anyway. I guess they
hooked at least one "idiot".

Gary

Michael Burton

Gary Milliorn wrote in :

Er, Michael,

"Michael Burton" mhburtonatmomentdotnet wrote in message
.85...
I just got an offer in the mail today from Wood Magazine. It says I
will
get 2 years free if I subscribe to their magazine for 1 year. Well,
this sounds great until I read, in the fine print, that the 3 years
total consists of 21 issues. OK...since when does 36 months worth of
subscription
equal 21 issues in a monthly published magazine?!

Wood is only published seven times a year. You can check in the
back page
of an issue for the publishers statement. Haven't seen the mailer,
maybe they
need to make it clearer.

Regards,
Gary

OH, Well that changes everything then. :-) Now I think it is a good
deal. Hah! Somewhere I got the mistaken idea that Wood Magazine was a
monthly Mag. Cool

Michael Burton

Leon wrote in :

Maybe, but the OP indicated that a 3 year subscription should have 36
issues. No so. 2 of the publications that he already subscribes to,
per his comment, only offer 6 issues per year. He should not have
been ignorant to the fact not all magazines have 12 issues per year.
And as per his explanation, the offer was with 1 paid year you get 2
years free. No indication that he would get 24 issues free. He
basically is passing up an opportunity to buy a 3 year subscription
for a 1 year price. Had he subscribed at the regular 1 year price he
would still only get 7 issues per year. I saw nothing poorly worded
in his explanation of the offer.

Leon,
I know tha Shop Notes and Woodsmith are only published 6 times a year.
I knew that before I subscribed a few years ago. The poor wording was in
the offer. Not in my explanation of the offer.
Anyway..I found out that Wood is only published seven times a year.
Sort of a strange number. Must be a special tools issue or something.

--
Michael

mhburton at moment dot net
Michael Burton

Gary wrote in :

Whatcha say Michael? Don't you hate it when this happens?

AAARRRRGGGHH!! Yes Gary, I hate it whan that happens. Oh well, anybody
got any ketchup for the foot in my mouth? ;-)
I sent off the subscription offer by the way. I like wood magazine &
have been buying it at the newsstand off and on. 7 mags a year just seemed
like a strange number of issues per year.

--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

mhburton at moment dot net
Leon

"Michael Burton" mhburtonatmomentdotnet wrote in message
. 85...

Leon,
I know tha Shop Notes and Woodsmith are only published 6 times a year.
I knew that before I subscribed a few years ago. The poor wording was in
the offer. Not in my explanation of the offer.
Anyway..I found out that Wood is only published seven times a year.
Sort of a strange number. Must be a special tools issue or something.

I See.. As for a Special Tools edition, no, there are simply 7 regular
issues. Actually several years ago there were 8 issues per year but the
content IMHO is better now.

David Hall

"SNIP
I just got an offer in the mail today from Wood Magazine. It says I

will
get 2 years free if I subscribe to their magazine for 1 year.

SNIP

I skimmed though the mailer yesterday morning. I thought, I've seen Wood
magazine, I recall liking their articles, Sure, sounds like a good deal to
me so I placed the subscription in the mail. 21 issues at the newstand
price of 3.95 (I think); thats about $80 worth of magazine. I didn't like
how they added $4 shipping and handling but subscribed anyway. I guess they
hooked at least one "idiot".

Gary

OK, what is the price being offered? I just got the last "Wood" of my
subscription. The re-up offer is one year at $28 or 2 years at $44
(including their silly "shipping and handling" charge). Are they
offering non-subscribers a better price than re-upping current
subscribers?

Dave Hall
Hoyt Weathers

David Hall wrote:

"SNIP
[...]

I just recently round-filed the re-up subscription offer of "Wood." Not enough in it
of useable interest for me. I am sticking with FWW.
Hoyt W.

Greg Vaughn

In article 1097207167.D5Kh1Hmkzv2YBCPrTJVAzg@teranews,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

FWIW, the combined drill press speed chart and wood screw reference chart
included in the advertising package looks like a keeper. The rest of the
ad package went into the circular file.

That's the same thing I did! :-)

Kevin Craig

wrote:

FWIW, the combined drill press speed chart and wood screw reference chart
included in the advertising package looks like a keeper. The rest of the
ad package went into the circular file.

My 23 month old son is enjoying the smiley-face saw blade stickers. :-)

And yeah, I think I'll take advantage of this offer. It's not my
favorite WW magazine, but they have decent projects.

Kevin
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevin Craig" wrote in message
And yeah, I think I'll take advantage of this offer. It's not my
favorite WW magazine, but they have decent projects.

Kevin

I've made a couple of their projects. The plans were right on. The latest
was the outdoor bench I made this summer.

Leon

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Michael:
Thanks for having the stones to admit your mistake, a rare occurrence
these days.

Bob

And especially after thinking he was so right and taking a few punches
from some of us.

patrick conroy

On 7 Oct 2004 03:24:10 GMT, Michael Burton mhburtonatmomentdotnet
wrote:

AAARRRRGGGHH!! Yes Gary, I hate it whan that happens. Oh well, anybody
got any ketchup for the foot in my mouth? ;-)

Duuuuuuuuuude - you've got no life in politics...
Enjoy your Wood.

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

FWIW, the combined drill press speed chart and wood screw reference chart
included in the advertising package looks like a keeper. The rest of the
ad package went into the circular file.

My 23 month old son is enjoying the smiley-face saw blade stickers. :-)

There were stickers in the pack?

Dang! I missed them, my 8 year-old son would have liked those.