R. Wink

Default Stones

I've got a small problem with sharpening stones. My dad died last year and left me his stones. I have a double sided stone
that's extremely rough, a couple of diamond hone blocks (180, 260 & 360 grit) that look like they came from HF, a double
sided white and blue and a stone reading "Franz Swaty." All of them are loaded and have extremely shiny surfaces.
Is there a way to clean and/or save these stones? What's the proper way to use them..oil, water or dry? I've got a number
of carving tools, planes and power tools I'd like to sharpen but don't have any idea if these stones will work or are worth
the effort.
R. Wink
Searcher

Personally, I use WD 40 to clean my stones. I am sure many opinions will
come of this. One thing though, you will want to find your flatest most
perfect stone that you have and square your finer stones. Constant
sharpening will cause a "gully" in your stone. When sharpening I will also
use WD 40.
Hope this helps you it id what I do and have never had a problem.

Searcher1

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I've got a small problem with sharpening stones. My dad died last year
and left me his stones. I have a double sided stone
that's extremely rough, a couple of diamond hone blocks (180, 260 & 360
grit) that look like they came from HF, a double
sided white and blue and a stone reading "Franz Swaty." All of them are
loaded and have extremely shiny surfaces.
Is there a way to clean and/or save these stones? What's the proper way
to use them..oil, water or dry? I've got a number
of carving tools, planes and power tools I'd like to sharpen but don't
have any idea if these stones will work or are worth
the effort.
R. Wink

AAvK

I've got a small problem with sharpening stones. My dad died last year and left me his stones. I have a double sided stone
that's extremely rough, a couple of diamond hone blocks (180, 260 & 360 grit) that look like they came from HF, a double
sided white and blue and a stone reading "Franz Swaty." All of them are loaded and have extremely shiny surfaces.
Is there a way to clean and/or save these stones? What's the proper way to use them..oil, water or dry? I've got a number
of carving tools, planes and power tools I'd like to sharpen but don't have any idea if these stones will work or are worth
the effort. R. Wink

Also, below (previously) in this NG search for the header:
"flattening Shapton stones - any alternatives to the Shapton plates?"
You'll see some good suggestions for flattening stones, which
I intend to try.

I think wd-40 is too thin, never done it, but saw someone else do
it and the stuff soaks right in when some should remain on top,
to be effective. He kept on putting it in frequently as I watched.

Point being is, the oil prevents the stones from clogging the way you
found yours and creates "slippage". I suggest as cheaper source that
will be effective, 3-in1 oil. You can get large sizes of it cheaply at places
like home depot or orchard supply hardware.

Alex

Rick Cook

AAvK wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest cleaning the stones by scrubbing with detergent and a brush. I'd use a light oil like sewing machine oil or camellia
oil to lube them. 3-in-1 works well too, but I have a source of sewing machine oil that's cheaper than 3-in-1. (SWMBO is a
mega-serious sewer and quilter with 'ins' and discounts at a lot of the local shops.) The diamond stones can be used with water as
well.

--RC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:31:03 GMT, R. Wink
wrote:

I've got a small problem with sharpening stones. My dad died last year and left me his stones. I have a double sided stone
that's extremely rough, a couple of diamond hone blocks (180, 260 & 360 grit) that look like they came from HF, a double
sided white and blue and a stone reading "Franz Swaty." All of them are loaded and have extremely shiny surfaces.
Is there a way to clean and/or save these stones? What's the proper way to use them..oil, water or dry? I've got a number
of carving tools, planes and power tools I'd like to sharpen but don't have any idea if these stones will work or are worth
the effort.
R. Wink

kitchen cleanser (I like barkeeper's friend) and a green scotchbrite
pad will clean them pretty well.

AAvK

I'd suggest cleaning the stones by scrubbing with detergent and a brush.

I have done that and it work pretty good, then I read to soak an old stone in
kerosene, right on the carborundum box, doing that currently.

I'd use a light oil like sewing machine oil or camellia
oil to lube them. 3-in-1 works well too, but I have a source of sewing machine oil that's cheaper than 3-in-1.

[snip]

That is a good thought, does it work well? Is it thick enough?

Alex

Doug Miller

In article PyJ7d.1157$1g5.155@trnddc07, "Searcher" wrote:
Personally, I use WD 40 to clean my stones.

Odd, I use soap and a washcloth to clean mine.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

--
Regards,

Rick Cook

AAvK wrote:

I'd suggest cleaning the stones by scrubbing with detergent and a brush.

I have done that and it work pretty good, then I read to soak an old stone in
kerosene, right on the carborundum box, doing that currently.

I'd use a light oil like sewing machine oil or camellia
oil to lube them. 3-in-1 works well too, but I have a source of sewing machine oil that's cheaper than 3-in-1.

[snip]

That is a good thought, does it work well? Is it thick enough?

Sewing machine oil is thick enough without being too thick. I suppose if I was doing things like putting edges on
beat-up machetes, I might prefer something like 30 weight motor oil, but most of what I'm doing is honing and light
edge renewal. I have used sewing machine oil for flattening the bottom of planes, however and it worked well.

--RC

Alex

AAvK

I have used sewing machine oil for flattening the bottom of planes, however
and it worked well.

Really? That is what I am doing now with a stanley #4 type 19, on sand paper
which is on thick glass, super 77 and dry with no oil, but what is your media,
a tool or the same as what I'm doing?

This plane was used a lot for a long time but it was never tuned, the factory
grinding marks are still on the sole and still a lot of hills and valleys. Wanna
get it real smooth.

Alex

Rick Cook

AAvK wrote:

I have used sewing machine oil for flattening the bottom of planes, however
and it worked well.

Really? That is what I am doing now with a stanley #4 type 19, on sand paper
which is on thick glass, super 77 and dry with no oil, but what is your media,
a tool or the same as what I'm doing?

For flattening I use a sheet of plate glass with wet or dry sandpaper lubricated
with sewing machine oil. The lubricant keeps the paper from loading up so quickly
and makes it last longer. I've also found it pays to go to an auto supply store and
get high-quality sandpaper.

I also use the same setup for sharpening plane blades, woodworking chisels and
similar tools. (My woodcarving chisels get a different treatment, in part because
they have a different profile.)

--RC

This plane was used a lot for a long time but it was never tuned, the factory
grinding marks are still on the sole and still a lot of hills and valleys. Wanna
get it real smooth.

Alex

In my experience, just flattening the sole of a plane makes a huge difference in how
well it works.