Searcher

Personally, I use WD 40 to clean my stones. I am sure many opinions will
come of this. One thing though, you will want to find your flatest most
perfect stone that you have and square your finer stones. Constant
sharpening will cause a "gully" in your stone. When sharpening I will also
use WD 40.
Hope this helps you it id what I do and have never had a problem.

Searcher1

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I've got a small problem with sharpening stones. My dad died last year
and left me his stones. I have a double sided stone
that's extremely rough, a couple of diamond hone blocks (180, 260 & 360
grit) that look like they came from HF, a double
sided white and blue and a stone reading "Franz Swaty." All of them are
loaded and have extremely shiny surfaces.
Is there a way to clean and/or save these stones? What's the proper way
to use them..oil, water or dry? I've got a number
of carving tools, planes and power tools I'd like to sharpen but don't
have any idea if these stones will work or are worth
the effort.
R. Wink