Bob

Default Looking for hand powered grinder

I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6"
grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for
new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are
all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you
are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.

If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!

Bob

bugbear

Bob wrote:
I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6"
grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for
new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are
all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you
are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.

I think all the good ones *are* vintage. I can't imagine
a manufacturer finding a market for a well made (not cheap)
manual grinder in this day-and-age. Not with so many
cheap vintage ones around :-)

If you have concerns over Ebay, I suggest finding a
reputable s/h tool dealer.

BugBear
dave in Fairfax

Bob wrote:
I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6"
grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for
new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are
all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you
are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.
If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!

I doubt that you'll find non-electric ones new these days. AS for
antiques, I've got a couple I use regularyly, and turned down a
pair last weekend for about $15 each. You didn't say where you
were, so I'd suggest looking in the local antique malls/shops.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
patrick mitchel

Bob wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6"
grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for
new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are
all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you
are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.

If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed
under handtools .The last new one I bought was 9 dollars bout 10 yrs back
from a surplus hardware store in Socal- calaero...

Bob

"patrick mitchel" wrote in message

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed
under handtools .The last new one I bought was 9 dollars bout 10 yrs back
from a surplus hardware store in Socal- calaero...

Thanks, Patrick.

For anyone else looking for information, I just received an email from
someone who also gave me the link to Prairie Tool Company.
www.prairietool.com

I read in old Google messages that grinders from this company are used at
College of the Redwoods. They sell a 6" hand grinder for $36.00.

Bob

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:13:00 -0700, patrick mitchel wrote:

Bob wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6"
grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for
new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are
all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you
are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.

If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed
under handtools .The last new one I bought was 9 dollars bout 10 yrs back
from a surplus hardware store in Socal- calaero...

How about a tredle grinder? Seems more practical as it leaves your
hands free to hold the work.

Joe Gorman

patrick mitchel wrote:

Bob wrote in message
hlink.net...

I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6"
grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for
new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are
all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you
are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.

If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed
under handtools .The last new one I bought was 9 dollars bout 10 yrs back
from a surplus hardware store in Socal- calaero...

http://lehmans.com/shopping/product/...3961&itemType=
PRODUCT&iMainCat=677&iSubCat=836&iProductID=3961
http://www.prairietool.com/
You'll have to download the catalog but they've got wet and dry hand
grinders. Joe

AAvK

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed
under handtools .

[snip]

Yeah, and $49.95 for a "hand crank flashlight", tells you something about
the rest of their prices too.

Alex

Dan Cullimore

"U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles wrote in message news:wzY6d.27901$Wa7.14025@trndny06...
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:13:00 -0700, patrick mitchel wrote:

How about a tredle grinder? Seems more practical as it leaves your
hands free to hold the work.

I've been considering doing this myself...any good sources for plans,
etc? I've an old hand crank grinder I've thought of fitting out with
a treadle.

Dan

AAvK

How about a tredle grinder? Seems more practical as it leaves your
hands free to hold the work.

Here's one on eBay, put this number in the search engine: 4326970434

Alex

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 1 Oct 2004 20:55:43 -0700, Dan Cullimore wrote:
"U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles wrote in
message news:wzY6d.27901$Wa7.14025@trndny06...
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:13:00 -0700, patrick mitchel wrote:

How about a tredle grinder? Seems more practical as it leaves your
hands free to hold the work.

I've been considering doing this myself...any good sources for plans,
etc? I've an old hand crank grinder I've thought of fitting out with
a treadle.

NO idea. My uncle has one that he's using both as an "Objet d'Art" and
to keep my aunt's knives sharp, but I've no idea where he scored it.