DIYGUY

Default NYW Worktable w/casters - anyone remember how it worked?

I remember a Norm special on a plywood worktable used in the TV studio
that had a nice way of locking in some casters to allow the table to
roll. If I recall, there were some hinged braces that dropped down to
lock the casters in place. Each end of the table had these braces
hinged on a leg and tied together with a piece of rope. In action one
would raise the table and that would release the braces to drop down
under gravity. This would then lock the casters which were attached to
a piece of plywood that ran front to back and pivoted somehow. To allow
the table to be stationary you simply pulled the braces out using the
rope and moved the casters up and away. Only thing is I cannot find the
plans on the NYW site, nor a reference to the table. Anyone remember
this and how the lock worked?

LRod

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:43:01 -0400, DIYGUY
wrote:

Only thing is I cannot find the plans on the NYW site, nor a reference
to the table. Anyone remember this and how the lock worked?

Episode #1407 (or 0207, depending on which numbering scheme they're
using). The episode was entitled "Work Table & Clamp Stand." It might
have been the clamp stand that threw you off on your search.

As far as the caster assembly, it consisted of a slab of wood across
the two end legs, hinged along the axis of a stretcher. On it were
mounted two swivel casters. On the inside of the legs were two plates,
also hinged.

When the table was lifted on the end, the hinged caster plate came
down, and the two side plates came down against the leg, preventing
the caster plate from folding back up.

The string was to pull up the side plates allowing the casters to fold
up when you wanted to spot the table someplace.

I really need to figure out how to do vid caps from my tape of the
episode and put it on my webpage. It's so much easier to see the
assembly than it is to describe it.

I hope this helps.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Badger

Mark Simon wrote:

It was the worktable and clamp cart episode. link below.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

Rip off europe strikes again, $10 US £10 UK

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:51:19 GMT, Badger
wrote:

Mark Simon wrote:

It was the worktable and clamp cart episode. link below.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

Rip off europe strikes again, $10 US £10 UK

so the dollar being in the toilet is somehow europe's fault?
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:51:19 GMT, Badger
calmly ranted:

Mark Simon wrote:

It was the worktable and clamp cart episode. link below.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

Rip off europe strikes again, $10 US £10 UK

Look closely at the photos, discern the mechanism, build
it yourself without his bloody plans.

"We doan need no steenkeeng planz." he said, SierraMadreically.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

Greg G.

DIYGUY said:

I remember a Norm special on a plywood worktable used in the TV studio
that had a nice way of locking in some casters to allow the table to
roll. If I recall, there were some hinged braces that dropped down to
lock the casters in place. Each end of the table had these braces
hinged on a leg and tied together with a piece of rope. In action one
would raise the table and that would release the braces to drop down
under gravity. This would then lock the casters which were attached to
a piece of plywood that ran front to back and pivoted somehow. To allow
the table to be stationary you simply pulled the braces out using the
rope and moved the casters up and away. Only thing is I cannot find the
plans on the NYW site, nor a reference to the table. Anyone remember
this and how the lock worked?

I have captured all the episodes on DVD. I'll take a screen shot of
one frame showing the construction and post it on a.b.p.w.
CASTERS

FWIW,

Greg G.
Leon

wrote in message

so the dollar being in the toilet is somehow europe's fault?

Regardless to purchase in Europe you buy from an European company. That
company sets the European price.

Mark

I remember a Norm special on a plywood worktable used in the TV studio
that had a nice way of locking in some casters to allow the table to
roll. If I recall, there were some hinged braces that dropped down to
lock the casters in place. Each end of the table had these braces
hinged on a leg and tied together with a piece of rope. In action one
would raise the table and that would release the braces to drop down
under gravity. This would then lock the casters which were attached to
a piece of plywood that ran front to back and pivoted somehow. To allow
the table to be stationary you simply pulled the braces out using the
rope and moved the casters up and away. Only thing is I cannot find the
plans on the NYW site, nor a reference to the table. Anyone remember
this and how the lock worked?

I built a slightly smaller version (60x30) to fit my shop and love it.
I also put some drawers below the top by adding some sides between the
legs to mount slides. I really like using it for case assembly. I can
put the case on the table and spin the whole table around quickly to
cinch clamps or check for square. Easier than trying to move the
project. And being able to move it easily makes for quick floor clean
up. I had a stationary bench/table before that was my primary assembly
area and it always had dust and shavings below it that were too hard
to get to (Ah! my aching back). Also when the casters are retracted it
is very sturdy. Especially if the assembly project on top has some
heft to it.

Anyway it's been a great addition. And it can easily be built in a
weekend.
Mark

Mark Simon

Ok, the Europe dollar comment wasn't in my post. I don't even know how the
dollar compares to the Euro. Wonder how that got attached?

"Leon" wrote in message
news

wrote in message

so the dollar being in the toilet is somehow europe's fault?

Regardless to purchase in Europe you buy from an European company. That
company sets the European price.

DIYGUY

Just a word of thanks for everyone who pitched in to help me out. I
have to publicly thank Greg G. for his generous support with pix. There
is no substitute for that. As an aside - I wanted to use the mechanism
on a mobile base I plan to put under my jointer. It struck me as a very
good way of recycling the idea into a new use. If anyone has other
thoughts on constructing a mobile base I would like to hear them as well ...

DIYGUY wrote:
I remember a Norm special on a plywood worktable used in the TV studio
that had a nice way of locking in some casters to allow the table to
roll. If I recall, there were some hinged braces that dropped down to
lock the casters in place. Each end of the table had these braces
hinged on a leg and tied together with a piece of rope. In action one
would raise the table and that would release the braces to drop down
under gravity. This would then lock the casters which were attached to
a piece of plywood that ran front to back and pivoted somehow. To allow
the table to be stationary you simply pulled the braces out using the
rope and moved the casters up and away. Only thing is I cannot find the
plans on the NYW site, nor a reference to the table. Anyone remember
this and how the lock worked?

Greg G.

DIYGUY said:

Just a word of thanks for everyone who pitched in to help me out. I
have to publicly thank Greg G. for his generous support with pix. There
is no substitute for that. As an aside - I wanted to use the mechanism
on a mobile base I plan to put under my jointer. It struck me as a very
good way of recycling the idea into a new use. If anyone has other
thoughts on constructing a mobile base I would like to hear them as well ...

You're most welcome. Hope it all works out! It wasn't the best of
pictures, but one that did illustrate most of the dynamics involved.

I used a similar but re-engineered system for hidden casters on the
new router table I built. It was just too darned heavy to move
without them!

FWIW,

Greg G.

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Greg G. wrote:

You're most welcome. Hope it all works out! It wasn't the best of
pictures, but one that did illustrate most of the dynamics involved.

I used a similar but re-engineered system for hidden casters on the
new router table I built. It was just too darned heavy to move
without them!

Sorry, but I seem to have joined in late in this thread. I have a
router table top that I'm building a cabinet for which will mount on a
metal workstand base. I NEED to be able to wheel this contraption in
and out a too-small workspace. Is there any chance you could e-mail me
any photos you have of both of the above setups? Thanks.

Gerry
Greg G.

G.E.R.R.Y. said:

In article , Greg G. wrote:

I used a similar but re-engineered system for hidden casters on the
new router table I built. It was just too darned heavy to move
without them!

Sorry, but I seem to have joined in late in this thread. I have a
router table top that I'm building a cabinet for which will mount on a
metal workstand base. I NEED to be able to wheel this contraption in
and out a too-small workspace. Is there any chance you could e-mail me
any photos you have of both of the above setups? Thanks.

The table picture should still be in a.b.p.w.
The router table is similar, except that instead of two boards on each
side that hold the wheel platform in place, there is a sliding wooden
support that spans the cabinet. You lift the cabinet, the wheels
drop, and you slide the chamfered board into place to hold it up
against the cabinet bottom. Due to the extra weight, I felt the
additional support would be needed, and the space is limited as well.
The sliding support is actuated by a threaded rod that extends from
the side of the cabinet. It is all completely hidden, except for the
knobs. There is only 3" of space under the cabinet, roughly the
height of the toe kick.

I'm not sure either of these designs would be appropriate for a metal
stand, however. You might be better off with a HTC mobil base.

FWIW,

Greg G.
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Greg G. wrote: