Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Gas shortage

On Thu, 13 May 2021 13:16:07 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/13/2021 11:50 AM, knuttle wrote:
On 5/13/2021 12:13 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
knuttle writes:

As you sit in the gas line or are looking for a station with gas, DON"T
you wish your car was powered by on of the small* nuclear reactor like
those they have use to power satellites for decades?

Hm.. There's only one US nuclear reactor currently in orbit. SNAP-10A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAP-10A

The russians had a reactor that deorbited unexpectedly and contaminated
parts of northern Canada in 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-A

The last two Mars rovers have had Pu-powered RTG's - radioisotope thermal
generators, which don't use fission, but rather are powered by the
heat generated as the Pu decays into daughter products.* On the downside,
the power is limited to sub 1kw, which won't run a car for very long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioi...tric_generator

Satellites use solar panels.

DARPA is working with Lockmart on the Draco project to test a
new reactor design in space for military satellites - it will use
HALEU (High-Assay, Low-Enriched Uranium) rather than the HEU
(Highly-enriched Uranium) in the Draco test reactor.

*** "The demo system won't operate in an orbit where it has
**** any - even a remote - chance of coming back to Earth."

Might as well wish for a car powered by a Mr. Fusion device.

This research could have been done decades ago using the Trillions of
dollars that have been spent to kill nuclear energy.** The whole
Manhattan project took about 5 years.** Think what could have been done
in those 70 years with those trillions of dollars.* What a missed
opportunity.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/after-decades-decline-us-national-fusion-lab-seeks-rebirth

Nuclear fusion is only five years away. Nothing has changed in fifty
years. It's always been five years away.

BTW, what happened to cold nuclear fusion?
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

[...]

"Trillions of dollars" aren't going to make fusion happen. Every time
they think they've got all the problems solved, they find a new one.
Fusion is going to happen when one day they think they've got all the
problems solved and their new test reactor _doesn't_ find a new one.

I was not thinking of spending trillions for fusion. I was thinking of
cleaning up and reusing the spent nuclear fuel; This seems like a
chemistry and physics problem. Improving the reactors and the control
systems them self. The development of small portable high efficiency
nuclear reactors.

There are answers but they aren't politically correct. Nothing that
actually works (that "science" thing) is politically correct.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 May 2021 10:06:02 -0700 (PDT), Brian Welch
wrote:

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:58:01 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:31:34 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/13/2021 10:46 AM, knuttle wrote:

As you sit in the gas line or are looking for a station with gas, DON"T
you wish your car was powered by on of the small nuclear reactor like
those they have use to power satellites for decades?
Gas shortage? Oh, you mean the one caused by stupid people filling up
every empty can, bottle, and jar they have. They made a minor
inconvenience for a few a major ordeal for many.

You mean people like these?

https://i.imgur.com/nSWgPfR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ujpIdsP.jpg

The one of the pick up truck is an actual picture taken by my buddy
in Florida. He drove down from NYS before this happened and he's
not sure if he'll be able to get back, not knowing if he'll be able to get
gas on the way back.

I can't speak for the validity of the trunk full of bags.

If the trunk is filled with plastic bags full of petrol, we most likely will be reading about the newest Darwin Award recipient, and maybe the most deserving of them all...

They WERTE fiklling trassh bags ---- Haven't hearf of any blowing up
YRT.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 May 2021 13:12:49 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/13/2021 9:46 AM, knuttle wrote:

As you sit in the gas line or are looking for a station with gas, DON"T
you wish your car was powered by on of the small* nuclear reactor like
those they have use to power satellites for decades?

No lines here!

The Colonial pipeline *starts* Texas. You're a gazinta state, not a
gazouta state. I'm surprised that you're not knee deep in oil from
all the backup.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2021 9:54 PM, Leon wrote:

For some maybe.* LOL.* Take the doctor and his attorney buddy in Houston
a few weeks ago.* Left the doctors house in his Tesla with his buddy.
Leaving home and 800 feet later a firey crash into some trees, going 30
mph.* The fire department had a difficult time putting those batteries
out once the caught fire.

And an odd side note, no on was in the drivers seat.* They found 2
unidentifiable, not even enough for dental records, bodies in the back
seat.

Hey Leon, wait 'til you see what my car can do on it own. Hop in the
back seat with me, this is going to be fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 9:54:44 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2021 7:59 PM, Markem618 wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 20:48:15 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2021 10:46:59 -0400, knuttle
wrote:

As you sit in the gas line or are looking for a station with gas, DON"T
you wish your car was powered by on of the small nuclear reactor like
those they have use to power satellites for decades?

I'm not sure I want to be driving around on several pounds of
plutonium.

Yes but they do want you driving around with a load of Lithium. Safer
by a pretty good margin but.

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

"Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, said Monday on an
earnings call that the company found the steering wheel of the vehicle to be
deformed, leading to the likelihood that someone was in the drivers seat at
the time of the crash.

The company didnt have an immediate comment on the report. Its cooperating
with investigators.

Police with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constables Office initially said that
no one was in the drivers seat, which led to speculation that the vehicles
Autopilot technology may have been a factor. Chief Executive Officer Elon
Musk took to Twitter to refute that notion.

William Varner, 59, and Everette Talbot, 69, were both found dead when first
responders arrived on scene. Talbot was seated in the right front passenger
seat with his upper torso in a forward-leaning position, with both arms rolled
forward." Varner was seated in the left rear passenger seat with his upper torso
in a rear-leaning position, with both arms rolled back and in a pugilistic pose.

Somebody mentioned Darwin a little earlier in the thread. This was written in
another article:

"...on Monday, Tesla founder Elon Musk wrote on Twitter that "data logs recovered
so far show Autopilot was not enabled & this car did not purchase FSD" -- a
reference to "full self-driving" capability.

"Moreover,'' he continued, "standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on,
which this street did not have." "

Perhaps the good doctor had more money than brains.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2021 9:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/13/2021 9:54 PM, Leon wrote:

For some maybe.* LOL.* Take the doctor and his attorney buddy in
Houston a few weeks ago.* Left the doctors house in his Tesla with his
buddy. Leaving home and 800 feet later a firey crash into some trees,
going 30 mph.* The fire department had a difficult time putting those
batteries out once the caught fire.

And an odd side note, no on was in the drivers seat.* They found 2
unidentifiable, not even enough for dental records, bodies in the back
seat.

Hey Leon, wait 'til you see what my car can do on it own.* Hop in the
back seat with me, this is going to be fun.

Yeah!

Sounds like a "Here hold my Beer" moment!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2021 9:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hey Leon, wait 'til you see what my car can do on it own.* Hop in the
back seat with me, this is going to be fun.

The best part is that you don't need anyone to hold your beer!

--
Dave in SoTex

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

"Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, said Monday on an
earnings call that the company found the steering wheel of the vehicle to be
deformed, leading to the likelihood that someone was in the drivers seat at
the time of the crash.

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

[...]

And yet, you cannot argue with 2 cooked bodies and neither was in the
drivers seat.

"Moreover,'' he continued, "standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on,
which this street did not have." "

That would explain the crash but not how the car made it to the crash site.

Perhaps the good doctor had more money than brains.

That was the obvious.

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

"Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, said Monday on an
earnings call that the company found the steering wheel of the vehicle to be
deformed, leading to the likelihood that someone was in the drivers seat at
the time of the crash.

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

1 - Be heavy enough to convince the car that a human was sitting in the seat
2 - Be strong enough or positioned correctly to deform the steering wheel

On my Hondas, the weight range to turn on the "Passenger Air Bag Off"
light is somewhere 0 up to 65 lbs. I am assuming (I know, dangerous) that
the Tesla has a higher threshold to determine if a passenger is in the driver's
seat. Heck, I don't even know if it checks, but if it does, I'd bet it's higher than
the weight of the average 10 YO. i.e. much heavier than your average brief case.

If this had happened on NCIS or CSI, there would have been a multiple perfectly
situated security cameras to determine where the occupants were sitting. ;-)
Or they'd build a scale (or maybe even full-sized) model and recreate the
crash to see if the driver could have been knocked into the rear seat by the
impact.

The authorities (or probably Tesla) may even be doing that in this case.

[...]

I can't argue, but I can speculate. There are studies that show that the "yielding seats"
that many car makers use these days are actually more dangerous than non-yielding
seats. Some say that the manufacturers can get away with using cheaper, inferior seats
by claiming that the yielding feature absorbs the energy of the collision. Perhaps the seat
failed allowing the driver to be thrown into the rear seat. Hopefully, a full forensic
analysis of the vehicle will determine what actually happened.

(Do I know if Tesla uses yielding seats to keep the cost down? No. That's why I called
this merely speculation.)

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

[...]

By passenger, I obviously meant "person".

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:43:46 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could=20
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to=20
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering=20
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry=20
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

Good Grief People!

Wait until the NTSB report is available and stop speculating
with zero facts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 2:14:18 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:43:46 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could=20
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to=20
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering=20
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry=20
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

Good Grief People!

Wait until the NTSB report is available and stop speculating
with zero facts.

Good Grief Scott!

Does it really bother you that we are have fun tossing around opinions?

As a matter of fact, I'm having more fun speculating than I ever will once
the facts are known. I actually don't give a crap about the actual incident.

The fun part for me is speculating and seeing how close I can come.

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

"Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, said Monday on an
earnings call that the company found the steering wheel of the vehicle to be
deformed, leading to the likelihood that someone was in the drivers seat at
the time of the crash.

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

The ones on TV do! ;~)

1 - Be heavy enough to convince the car that a human was sitting in the seat
2 - Be strong enough or positioned correctly to deform the steering wheel

Even the heat of the fire will deform the steering wheel. The vehicle
was unrecognizable. Did you happen to see the video's?

[...]

Well the car was only going 30 mph so who knows about the seat.
Seems to me a 30 mph crash should not have been so devastating.

(Do I know if Tesla uses yielding seats to keep the cost down? No. That's why I called
this merely speculation.)

"Moreover,'' he continued, "standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on,
which this street did not have." "

That would explain the crash but not how the car made it to the crash site.

Perhaps the good doctor had more money than brains.

That was the obvious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2021 1:14 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:43:46 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could=20
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to=20
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering=20
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry=20
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

Good Grief People!

Wait until the NTSB report is available and stop speculating
with zero facts.

Well the NTSB can speculate all it wants but no body in the drivers seat
pretty much explains the crash.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2021 10:36 AM, wrote:

wrote:

As you sit in the gas line or are looking for a station with gas, DON"T
you wish your car was powered by on of the small nuclear reactor like
those they have use to power satellites for decades?

I'm not sure I want to be driving around on several pounds of
plutonium.

Yes but they do want you driving around with a load of Lithium. Safer
by a pretty good margin but.

For some maybe. LOL. Take the doctor and his attorney buddy in Houston
a few weeks ago. Left the doctors house in his Tesla with his buddy.
Leaving home and 800 feet later a firey crash into some trees, going 30
mph. The fire department had a difficult time putting those batteries
out once the caught fire.

And an odd side note, no on was in the drivers seat. They found 2
unidentifiable, not even enough for dental records, bodies in the back seat.

Don't tell the Mafia! Hmm, I wonder if one was Jimmy Hoffa?

The thought crossed my mind.... The two might have been secret
lovers embezzling trillions and needed to appear to have burned up,
while they actually skipped the country, like Ken Lay.
wonder who was really in the car. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Does it really bother you that we are have fun tossing around opinions?

As a matter of fact, I'm having more fun speculating than I ever will
once the facts are known. I actually don't give a crap about the
actual incident.

The fun part for me is speculating and seeing how close I can come.

Here's some fun fuel for the fire.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-in-back-seat/

Demoing people driving Teslas from the backseat, and being arrogant
enough to due it for the press after getting out on bail for being
arrested for doing it.

This guy is a notorious troll with money from his parents.

Elijah
------
one wonders how long till the driver's license is revoked
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:13:09 PM UTC-4, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Does it really bother you that we are have fun tossing around opinions?

As a matter of fact, I'm having more fun speculating than I ever will
once the facts are known. I actually don't give a crap about the
actual incident.

The fun part for me is speculating and seeing how close I can come.

Here's some fun fuel for the fire.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-in-back-seat/

Demoing people driving Teslas from the backseat, and being arrogant
enough to due it for the press after getting out on bail for being
arrested for doing it.

This guy is a notorious troll with money from his parents.

Interesting comment from Sharma:

""I've been brake-checked before really hard, and the car stopped.
The car came to a complete stop."

In other words "When I'm in the driver's seat I aggressively tailgate
other drivers."

When someone is tailgating me, the first brake check is barely
enough to flash the brake lights. If it ever gets to the point that
the brake check is "really hard", it means that the tailgater isn't
getting/taking my hint.

If someone had to brake check so hard as to cause Sharma's Tesla
to stop, Sharma must really be a dick.

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

"Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, said Monday on an
earnings call that the company found the steering wheel of the vehicle to be
deformed, leading to the likelihood that someone was in the drivers seat at
the time of the crash.

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

1 - Be heavy enough to convince the car that a human was sitting in the seat
2 - Be strong enough or positioned correctly to deform the steering wheel

A 1000F for an hour or two won't deform the steering wheel?

On my Hondas, the weight range to turn on the "Passenger Air Bag Off"
light is somewhere 0 up to 65 lbs. I am assuming (I know, dangerous) that
the Tesla has a higher threshold to determine if a passenger is in the driver's
seat. Heck, I don't even know if it checks, but if it does, I'd bet it's higher than
the weight of the average 10 YO. i.e. much heavier than your average brief case.

If this had happened on NCIS or CSI, there would have been a multiple perfectly
situated security cameras to determine where the occupants were sitting. ;-)
Or they'd build a scale (or maybe even full-sized) model and recreate the
crash to see if the driver could have been knocked into the rear seat by the
impact.

Don't laugh. We're working on cockpit vision to do all sorts of
things, from setting the mirrors (finding the eyes and move the
mirrors accordingly), to distracted/impaired driving (eye-lid
recognition), to adjusting the EQ for your tunes based on where your
ears are. Big brother is watching.

The authorities (or probably Tesla) may even be doing that in this case.

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

Collectivists don't allow fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 May 2021 23:13:06 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Does it really bother you that we are have fun tossing around opinions?

As a matter of fact, I'm having more fun speculating than I ever will
once the facts are known. I actually don't give a crap about the
actual incident.

The fun part for me is speculating and seeing how close I can come.

Here's some fun fuel for the fire.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-in-back-seat/

Demoing people driving Teslas from the backseat, and being arrogant
enough to due it for the press after getting out on bail for being
arrested for doing it.

This guy is a notorious troll with money from his parents.

A few years ago, Clark Howard was talking about how he read a book
while his Tesla was driving itself and how other drivers were
"shocked". Well, yeah...
------
one wonders how long till the driver's license is revoked

If the guy filling the 4' cube of gasoline doesn't attract some
interest, why should this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 May 2021 23:27:37 -0400, wrote:

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.

Which can not be used when driving by decree of the law.

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...marshal-report

[...]

Sure it would. Of course, that is not what we are discussing here.

First, deformation by heat would look different than deformation by impact.

Second, read the reports. The was no "1000F for an hour or two" in this case.

The initial blaze was extinguished in 10 minutes. The remaining time and largest
use of water was the hours spent putting out small fires that kept popping up.
Flare-ups not just from the batteries but also from tree sap. A lot of the "long term"
issues were under the car where they had trouble getting water. These flare-ups
would not have subjected the steering wheel to "1000F for an hour or two".

[...]

.... and has been for decades.

The authorities (or probably Tesla) may even be doing that in this case.

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 11:53:58 PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 23:27:37 -0400, wrote:

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.

Which can not be used when driving by decree of the law.

Is driving in reverse not considered driving?

While not referred to as "back-up camera", the camera under the
right sideview mirror on my Honda looks backwards. It's designed
to come on automatically when the turn signal used. In addition, it
can be manually turned on with the push of a button while driving.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 12:33:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 22:53:51 -0500, Markem618
wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 23:27:37 -0400, wrote:

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.

Which can not be used when driving by decree of the law.

Even backwards? ;-)

In some states you have to get a driver's license and a reverser's
license.

No, I don't have a cite for that. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:43:46 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

And yet no body was found in the drivers seat.... The front seat could=20
have been holding the doctors bag and or the attorneys brief case to=20
fool the vehicle into believing some one was in the front drivers seat...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but *something* deformed the steering=20
wheel and I'm pretty sure that a doctor's bag [do doctors actually carry=20
bags anymore ;-) ] and/or an attorney's briefcase would not:

Good Grief People!

Wait until the NTSB report is available and stop speculating
with zero facts.

Well the NTSB can speculate all it wants but no body in the drivers seat
pretty much explains the crash.

See, that's you speculating that there was no body in the drivers
seat, based on unreliable media reports.

NTSB doesn't speculate. They exhaustively analyze all the available
evidence, including the black-box, scene and mechanical remains and
provide recommendations for how to avoid future such accidents based
on a scientifically determined cause.

That's why it takes _months_.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 23:27:37 -0400, wrote:

Not just Tesla. The "authorities" will be followers, rather like
back-up cameras.

Which can not be used when driving by decree of the law.

Even backwards? ;-)

In some states you have to get a driver's license and a reverser's
license.

Must be in the backward looking states, like NY or CA.

No, I don't have a cite for that. ;-)

Gas shortage Uncle Peter[_2_] UK diy 2 January 30th 15 02:24 PM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Ownership 3 June 18th 07 06:34 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 18th 07 05:32 AM
Why There Is A Flu Vaccine Shortage [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 11:11 AM
Shortage in Delivery Kevin UK diy 5 October 5th 04 07:10 PM